Coconut Oil good or bad? saturated FAT?

Options
124»

Replies

• MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    Coconut oil is actually very beneficial, Do your research before you decide to say its bad for you
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I'm glad so many more people are embracing coconut oil. It's amazing. OP did you notice most people on this thread that consume coconut oil are fit and healthy looking? That says a lot, imo.
  • PiecesOfTheHeart
    PiecesOfTheHeart Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    On a side note. Coconut oil is AMAZING for your skin! Topically of course. I work in the beauty industry with a focus on make up artistry and skin health. I have to tell you I have seen some amazing results with this on the skin. Especially for those with skin conditions and sensitive skin. As far as eating it I would stay clear!
  • MiamiKid305
    MiamiKid305 Posts: 357
    Options
    I'm glad so many more people are embracing coconut oil. It's amazing. OP did you notice most people on this thread that consume coconut oil are fit and healthy looking? That says a lot, imo.

NO NO...... Your amazing! :)
  • KJL16
    KJL16 Posts: 6
    Options
    On a side note. Coconut oil is AMAZING for your skin! Topically of course. I work in the beauty industry with a focus on make up artistry and skin health. I have to tell you I have seen some amazing results with this on the skin. Especially for those with skin conditions and sensitive skin. As far as eating it I would stay clear!

I guess you didn't read much on this page...

I know, I know, right? TLDR.

Sorry... We healthy people tend to get passionate and longwinded about our healthy fats and maybe lose the average reader who just doesn't have time to read all that info. (Oh, btw that's healthy fat as in healthy SATURATED fat.... wait- what did you think I meant? healthy Unsaturated fat? Pwah! XD don't make me laugh. hehehe.)
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The jury is still out. Ive read many conflicting stories and research, so, I eat all fats, in moderation. I would most certainly not eat by the spoonful.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

NO NO...... Your amazing! :)

:blushing:
  • KJL16
    Options
    The jury is still out. Ive read many conflicting stories and research, so, I eat all fats, in moderation. I would most certainly not eat by the spoonful.
    The jury is not out, I must inform you. The jury, being the general public, has already decided that saturated fat is the enemy and it's obvious that it's already been convincted of "clogging arteries." Thanks to pharmaceutical companies' ginormous marketing and lobbying budgets facilitating this alice-in-wonderland-style court, there really is no fair trial- not until people pick up a book revealing the origins of "The Lipid Hypothesis" made influential by the dunce of the century, Ansel Keys.

There was never ever even an issue with all these health problems we're seeing a rise in now, until the consumption of articially hydrogenated oils and trans fats (made from unsaturated fats) came into the picture. The only reason "conflicting stories and research" exist is because there are two sides: the truth, and the people making money off of this anti-saturated fat crusade- if you look at their research, it's either 1. full of confounding variables or 2.have absolutely no evidence that saturated fat is bad for your, but the people funding this research would never let that surface, so into the shredder it goes. Scientists and doctors have always known that dietary saturated fat is not bad for you- what is bad for you is the toxins that come in the fat if it's from a cow that's been fed corn, antibiotics, and hormones, but that's a somewhat different topic. We're talking about coconut oil here-

And you most certainly should eat coconut oil by the spoonful, if you would like to reap the health benefits. But of course please take a look at the books and links that people have been referring to on here before you go and do that. It might change your life. I wonder- are you also one of those people that still fear cholesterol?
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I've been using coconut oil for a few years now in cooking and baking, also as a spread (like one would use butter), and as a moisturiser for my skin. I don't think coconut oil is some sort of weight loss miracle potion that certain people are promoting it as, but I do believe it's a very healthy saturated fat, so I've always got it in my pantry in rather huge quantities.

Regarding the nausea--I felt that initially when I tried to consume too much at once. Stomach cramping and generally sick feeling. The solution for me was to either eat less coconut oil at each sitting, or to take a digestive enzyme to help process the fat. Both those things worked fine, and at some point my body got used to processing the coconut oil in larger quantities.
  • KJL16
    Options
    Bump^ for the wonderful world of saturated fat and its king, coconut oil
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you all want a clearer picture on how the whole Vegetable oil sham was foisted on America, go to YouTube and search for "The Oiling of America."

It's a riveting lecture on how we've been sold a pack of lies on saturated, NATURAL fats and the cholesterol myth.

Coconut oil, butter and lard are the healthiest fats for cooking. Olive oil is fine for salads or dipping breads.
  • FluffyMae
    FluffyMae Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I use it every morning. I have spinach and egg whites scrambled in coconut oil. Delish. When I use it, I make sure it's low carb. You body will use the oil for fuel if it does not have easy to process carbs along with it! Grilled chix breast and fresh broccoli tossed w/coconut oil is also a favorite.
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    It's actually healthy as long as it's not a lot. I use coconut oil spray!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    When I was finishing up my bachelors not that long ago palm oil and coconut oil were the devil about 10yrs ago. There was some stipulations as to that and HFCS were the cause of obesity and why heart disease was on the rise. Everything in moderation when I lived in Africa those were the primary sources of fat because they are so cheap.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is good for you...but like anything else, sensible moderation is the key. Saturated fats in and of themselves are healthy,but still have calories. Choose wisely and you can enjoy the benefits of.....everything.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is awesome and delicious. I'm currently winning the battle of bad cholesterol using diet alone...I consume coconut oil as well as other saturated fats, and I'm winning my battle. I'm personally far more concerned with highly processed carbohydrates and limiting those in my diet than I am about saturated fats.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have eaten coconut oil every day for years and my cholesterol is ridiculously low and my blood work is excellent. It's a medium chain triglyceride, and is awesome as part of a healthy diet.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    mdwy62,

I know you must be well-intentioned, but your post is a perfect example of the result of decades of lobbying against saturated fats and cholesterol. Many people are under this spell. About two and a half years ago, I had my eyes opened. Since then, I have not and will not- ever pick up another bottle of vegetable oil again. I will never go back, especially after I've seen the horrible effects of Alzheimer's on friends' families; I would do anything to keep my parents from going through that.

Anyone trying to limit their intake of cholesterol and saturated fat, and subsequently eating loads of unsaturated vegetable oils and carbohydrates instead (including fruit juice and diet soda) is setting themselves up for a plethora of middle-late adulthood diseases: Dementia, Loss of Libido, Heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and especially... Alzheimer's.
    Those don't sound very appealing. I will do whatever I can to protect the people I care about from these horrible man-perpetuated diseases...
    That means spending a little extra money to be able to scoop into a container full of beautiful, creamy coconut oil for the rest of my life and pretty much guarantee that I won't ever need to worry about harming my cardiovascular system or my brain function (try saying that about inflammation-inducing polyunsaturated frankenstein-oil.) I will eat organic, grass-fed beef and feel assured that I'm giving my body the nutrition it needs to stay satisfied until my next meal, and I'll eat butter- delicious, organic butter that's rich and creamy and made from the milk of grass-fed, free-range cows and spread it on organic sprouted grain toast, knowing that I am treating not only my tastebuds, but also treating my body, making a "cheers" to a healthy life. I won't ever touch anything labeled "low-fat" or "low-cholesterol" because I prefer my food to actually be food- not chemically modified junk that perpetuates the ridiculous lie that eating fat makes you fat.

You most likely believe the opposite- that saturated fat is the bad one and that unsaturated oil is good for your heart. Well, my friends- that is exactly why millions of people are having heart failure and cognitive impairments that they possibly can never recover from because they keep doing the exact thing that made them sick in the first place: listening to advice like this: "Watch that cholesterol level, Mr. Smith- only use the egg whites- throw away the yolk and don't eat red meat. Make an appointment to see me again in a month and check if you got that cholesterol to go down!..." then following that advice, and continuing to need hospital care for years and years until ultimately a heart attack takes its final blow.

We are not supposed to have heart problems. They only started happening when we started chemically extracting oil from corn and making margarine; and when we started feeding our kids purple, red, and blue colored drinks pumped with corn syrup and ascorbic acid (artificial vitamin C), and when we gave kids fruit-flavored corn cereal that started their mornings with about 100 grams of sugar after counting the milk, the OJ and the poptart, and wondering why diabetes went through the roof.
    You are probably confused because I started the paragraph talking about the heart, and then started talking about carbs. Yes, you read correctly. And the fact that you are surprised by this is another example of how amazingly effective a billion dollar industry can be at covering up the truth from everyone.

If you care about the people you love, then at least... think about how little sense it makes for us to be encouraged, by the American Heart Association, to increase the intake of an oil that was intentionally manufactured to promote obesity (with the unfortunate collateral of liver failure and other diseases) in livestock, including pigs and then marketed for human consumption because there was a surplus in corn. (named "canola oil" after mixing a bunch of other chemically-altered oils that were originally used only in industrial products like paint varnish, and were never fit for consumption by any living thing.)
    tigerpalm.jpg

Ok first of all, canola oil is rapeseed oil, which has nothing to do with corn. Considering you can't even get that simple fact right, it throws pretty much everything else you say into question. For starters, margarine has been around since the 1800's, long before all these supposed health problems you imply we're caused by it were an issue. And then, of course, canola oil was created by cross breeding rapeseed to make a version lower in erucic acid. The name canola stands for Canadian Oil, Low Acid, since it was created in Canada.

As for all your wild, unsubstantiated claims about diseases and carbs and everything else you can think of to try and make yourself sound right, quite frankly, none of them actually match the actual data that's freely available. For one thing, percentage wise, we are still eating about the same amount of carbs we always have been. Yes more carbs, because we are eating more calories overall, but we are also eating more fat and protein, so it's proportionately the same.

In short, you're making a bunch of claims that have no basis in reality.
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    mdwy62,

I know you must be well-intentioned, but your post is a perfect example of the result of decades of lobbying against saturated fats and cholesterol. Many people are under this spell. About two and a half years ago, I had my eyes opened. Since then, I have not and will not- ever pick up another bottle of vegetable oil again. I will never go back, especially after I've seen the horrible effects of Alzheimer's on friends' families; I would do anything to keep my parents from going through that.

Anyone trying to limit their intake of cholesterol and saturated fat, and subsequently eating loads of unsaturated vegetable oils and carbohydrates instead (including fruit juice and diet soda) is setting themselves up for a plethora of middle-late adulthood diseases: Dementia, Loss of Libido, Heart disease, cancer, diabetes, stroke, and especially... Alzheimer's.
    Those don't sound very appealing. I will do whatever I can to protect the people I care about from these horrible man-perpetuated diseases...
    That means spending a little extra money to be able to scoop into a container full of beautiful, creamy coconut oil for the rest of my life and pretty much guarantee that I won't ever need to worry about harming my cardiovascular system or my brain function (try saying that about inflammation-inducing polyunsaturated frankenstein-oil.) I will eat organic, grass-fed beef and feel assured that I'm giving my body the nutrition it needs to stay satisfied until my next meal, and I'll eat butter- delicious, organic butter that's rich and creamy and made from the milk of grass-fed, free-range cows and spread it on organic sprouted grain toast, knowing that I am treating not only my tastebuds, but also treating my body, making a "cheers" to a healthy life. I won't ever touch anything labeled "low-fat" or "low-cholesterol" because I prefer my food to actually be food- not chemically modified junk that perpetuates the ridiculous lie that eating fat makes you fat.

You most likely believe the opposite- that saturated fat is the bad one and that unsaturated oil is good for your heart. Well, my friends- that is exactly why millions of people are having heart failure and cognitive impairments that they possibly can never recover from because they keep doing the exact thing that made them sick in the first place: listening to advice like this: "Watch that cholesterol level, Mr. Smith- only use the egg whites- throw away the yolk and don't eat red meat. Make an appointment to see me again in a month and check if you got that cholesterol to go down!..." then following that advice, and continuing to need hospital care for years and years until ultimately a heart attack takes its final blow.

We are not supposed to have heart problems. They only started happening when we started chemically extracting oil from corn and making margarine; and when we started feeding our kids purple, red, and blue colored drinks pumped with corn syrup and ascorbic acid (artificial vitamin C), and when we gave kids fruit-flavored corn cereal that started their mornings with about 100 grams of sugar after counting the milk, the OJ and the poptart, and wondering why diabetes went through the roof.
    You are probably confused because I started the paragraph talking about the heart, and then started talking about carbs. Yes, you read correctly. And the fact that you are surprised by this is another example of how amazingly effective a billion dollar industry can be at covering up the truth from everyone.

If you care about the people you love, then at least... think about how little sense it makes for us to be encouraged, by the American Heart Association, to increase the intake of an oil that was intentionally manufactured to promote obesity (with the unfortunate collateral of liver failure and other diseases) in livestock, including pigs and then marketed for human consumption because there was a surplus in corn. (named "canola oil" after mixing a bunch of other chemically-altered oils that were originally used only in industrial products like paint varnish, and were never fit for consumption by any living thing.)
    tigerpalm.jpg

Ok first of all, canola oil is rapeseed oil, which has nothing to do with corn. Considering you can't even get that simple fact right, it throws pretty much everything else you say into question. For starters, margarine has been around since the 1800's, long before all these supposed health problems you imply we're caused by it were an issue. And then, of course, canola oil was created by cross breeding rapeseed to make a version lower in erucic acid. The name canola stands for Canadian Oil, Low Acid, since it was created in Canada.

As for all your wild, unsubstantiated claims about diseases and carbs and everything else you can think of to try and make yourself sound right, quite frankly, none of them actually match the actual data that's freely available. For one thing, percentage wise, we are still eating about the same amount of carbs we always have been. Yes more carbs, because we are eating more calories overall, but we are also eating more fat and protein, so it's proportionately the same.

In short, you're making a bunch of claims that have no basis in reality.

None of what you have said matters, really.

Nutritional black holes including canola, corn, vegetable and soy oils these days largely come from toxic GMO crops. No amount of 'so-called' scientific support could cause me to want to consume any of them. Frankenfoods hold no appeal to me.

And the government's revolving door with Monsanto doesn't help me believe much of anything that comes out of the FDA or other health organizations kept afloat by endless billions of dollars of bribe money thrown at them to keep perpetuating the lies on the sheeple.

Lipids researchers DO know the deal with natural, saturated fats versus the aforementioned cheap lab-made fats. Unfortunately, most of them won't go out on a limb to publish what they know for fear they'll lose their own funding.

Sad, really.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Oh ok, you're one of those conspiracy theory nuts where facts don't matter, because of whatever you make up to say they are lying. Got it.