I just ate an entire pound of strawberries.

Options
124»

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    grow your own strawberries if you have a garden, then they're sort of free (well you have to buy the seeds and put in the time to grow them, and I'd recommend buying netting to put over them to stop the birds eating them)

I've always resented paying money for any kind of berry as my parents grow their own and I grew up eating them for free, and blackberries even grew on the common where I lived, so those were totally free. But I live in Bahrain and they don't grow in this climate, so I started buying frozen berries. Ridiculously expensive, 3 dinars for a pack of frozen blueberries (dinars are really big as currency goes)
  • annasuzanna
    annasuzanna Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Its not exactly the same, but frozen fruit (without added sugar) is cheaper than out of season fresh fruit. I buy it in bulk at Walmart or Sams.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I don't eat Entrecote with bernaise sauce at our local Michelin star restaurant very often for financial reasons.
  • sarahinak007
    sarahinak007 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with your thoughts - it's wierd how the worst food for a person is the cheapest . . . but I too try to scope out farmers markets and sales, costco and sams club fruit prices are hard to beat, espescially when you have a hankering for some berries :-)

I live in Alaska, and we try to go berry picking in the fall. We don't get alot, but usually enough for some good snacking sessions. Other areas might have chokecherries, apples, who knows what, just ask around and sometimes you can find people who will gladly let you come pick some so that it doesn't go to waste!
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I wish I only had to pay $4 for a pound of strawberries... I pay that for half a pound of them! And the strawberries are local! sigh. Food is so expensive in australia... just like everything else.

Yikes.
    That is pretty rough.
    I would like to visit there someday though, but flights are not cheap at all. I wonder if they charge more for everything because its so nice there?
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Sounds like an awesome meal or snack. McDonalds is cheaper than most places to eat. Top Ramen is cheaper than every meal you had this month most likely. Beyond calories what do these things do for you? A pound of strawberries is pure fuel that your body can utilize right away. They won't make you gain weight, satisfy sweet cravings, fill you with antioxidants and plenty of nutrients and minerals. A McDonalds burger will give you all kinds of preservatives, toxins, lots of sodium and fats that your body is going to have to work really hard at getting rid of. They might even cause you to gain weight and eventually add to your chances of getting cancer. It's only a dollar cause it's not real food.

snHyyvg.jpg

Still regret having some strawberries?
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Enjoy them when they are in season locally. Right now around here they are about $10 for an entire flat and taste just awesome.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, well yesterday I ate:

2 cups of oats
    2 apples
    2 bananas
    2 turkey sandwiches
    lean cuisine (potstickers)
    protein shake
    2 hamburgers
    giant onion ring
    2 chicken sandwiches
    2 waffles with syrup
    6 pieces of french toast with syrup
    4 pop tarts
    2 berry smoothies
    2 cups of milk
    3 servings of peanut butter
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Right on. I get frozen strawberries from Target. Good for smoothies.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Large portions of strawberries are my very favorite decadent snack. I do typically try to limit myself to a half pound in one sitting though cause they certainly aren't cheap. And right now I'm sticking with frozen. But I've the prices come back down I'll be all over them again. Wish I had more of green thumb though so I could grow my own. That and tomatoes are my constant failure. I have an annual tradition of killing tomato plants...
  • Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    When tomatoes are in season, I will sit down and eat at least 1 pound.
    If fruit is the thing you're indulging in, there's probably nothing to worry about.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    most strawberries aren't year-round perennials, though, so they may actually be growing, but that doesn't mean they're "in season". california is notorious for pushing boundaries. I used to live in monterey... they'd spray so much on those plants in watsonville that we'd all itch and cough from the downwind.

but you could get strawberries almost year round depending on the variety and if you covered them, which is likely how strawberry farms would do it.
    No,,the plants didn't produce year round, they farmers planted new plants and covered them. And the different farmers seemed to plant a new crop at slightly different intervals. There were alwats starwberries each week at the local farmers market and corner vendors.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I put seafood into the category of food I love to eat but is very expensive. I can very easily eat a pound of shrimp for dinner. They are very low in calories but a pound of shrimp is $8.

Usually with fruit and vegetables the supermarket is having a special on something. This week they had strawberries two packages for $4, so I bought strawberries this week. Next week it will be something different