Gym Etiquette - what bugs you?

Options

Replies

• FrankenBeanz
    FrankenBeanz Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The woman FACETIMING her bit on the side in changing room, and then calling her husband straight after... after spending only 10 minutes walking up and down in the gym anyway. All kinds of wrong.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    The other day I wanted to do bench presses and some guy had taken ALL the weights over 5 lbs under 45 lbs and put them on various bars for his circuit. RAGE.

Hate it when someone is doing some sort of circuit that involves a machine that I want to use and it takes them like 20 minutes to get done with it. I can understand alternating between a couple different things, but no more than that, please.

As far as people being "lazy" on the machines... sometimes if it's not a workout day for me I'll still go to the gym when it's quiet and walk for an hour or so while I listen to a podcast or read a magazine or something. I live in freaking Minnesota, it's -20 outside and I want to get a little activity into my day but with the program I'm on I don't want to do heavy cardio and it's my rest day so I'm not doing weights either. But I don't want to sit around the house all day. So mind your beeswax.

Basically as long as someone isn't impeding on my workout, do what you want. Come in with makeup, come in looking like crap, talk to your girlfriends, whatever. BUT DON'T HOG THE WEIGHTS!
  • OkieTink
    OkieTink Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Not re-racking weights.
    Folks who sit on machines or benches (that I need) while texting/talking on their phones.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    i wanted to go postal on a couple 9th-10th graders last night. they were basically hanging out with their other friends there in front of the dumbbell rack and wouldnt move as im carrying my weights back. or standing too close to me when i was doing inclined curls.

these are the kids that are followers too, they follow the biggest guy around all the time and will sit on the machines around what he is doing.

also im old and generally i get annoyed easily, and this doesnt help
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    i wanted to go postal on a couple 9th-10th graders last night. they were basically hanging out with their other friends there in front of the dumbbell rack and wouldnt move as im carrying my weights back. or standing too close to me when i was doing inclined curls.

these are the kids that are followers too, they follow the biggest guy around all the time and will sit on the machines around what he is doing.

also im old and generally i get annoyed easily, and this doesn't help

Not just you. Last night in the stretching/warm up area there were two girls sitting on a mat on the floor, one had her iPhone charger plugged into the wall and the other was sitting on her phone.

I did the ab circuit and there were two ladies chatting the middle, on sitting on the machine through 3 rotations. Her son and his friend were on another machine playing around and abusing the equipment and by the time I came around to it I *****ed them out to move on.

First day at Planet Fitness and it was a combo of great and horrible. BUT It works for the price.
  • OkieTink
    Options

also im old and generally i get annoyed easily, and this doesnt help

42 is old? Pfft.

:)
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    When you shower at the gym, and there's a huge row of open showers, and someone shower's right next to you, so their dirty water splashes into your shower when you're trying to dry off. Drives me nuts!!!

And also girls who wear a pound of make-up to the gym...really?!
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I don't like when females go to the gym in full hair and make-up and their sexiest workout clothes (sometiems just a sports bra), just to WALK on the treadmill for an hour and not break a sweat. They fill up the machines and make my fat, sweaty, *kitten* look like a running rhino. lol. I don't see thins at my currect gym but LA fitness was so bad!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Not wiping the machines off after use is my main gripe.
  • baotzu
    baotzu Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm surprised that other people's clothing choice matters so much to folks. Who cares if someone working out in jeans / make-up / jorts / overalls / underwear ? It has no impact on you or your workout whatsoever.

Know what's bad gym etiquette? Old guys that blow-dry their junk in the locker room.

Oh, and folks that bring their gd kids into the gym and let them run around without supervision. If your gym doesn't have a kid area, leave your crotch-fruit at home (crate it or something).
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    When the oh-so-hot and extremely fit and better-than-me chick steals the machine that I was using right after my first set...when I have 2 more sets to go...and I'm still sitting at the machine.

What just happened?!
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    1. Women who come in looking like they're about to go on the cat walk.
    2. Men stop hogging the damn weights!
    3. People who look at you funny because you're not slim...urm..what?
  • greasygriddle
    greasygriddle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised that other people's clothing choice matters so much to folks. Who cares if someone working out in jeans / make-up / jorts / overalls / underwear ? It has no impact on you or your workout whatsoever.

Know what's bad gym etiquette? Old guys that blow-dry their junk in the locker room.

Oh, and folks that bring their gd kids into the gym and let them run around without supervision. If your gym doesn't have a kid area, leave your crotch-fruit at home (crate it or something).

i just blew my nuts out!! (almonds) :laugh: :drinker: :laugh:
  • OkieTink
    Options
    I'd like to add...

Chicks who wear perfume.

Grunters. Loud grunters. Is it REALLY necessary?

Women who ask me for help, with EVERYTHING. I don't mind helping them get started on a treadmill or whatever but if you have more than one question find an employee, that's what they get paid for.
  • missjanetleigh
    missjanetleigh Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to sound high maintenance, but I don't understand when I see people at the gym that:

1) Sweat all over the cardio machines (dripping sweat) and don't wipe them down
    2) Talk REALLY loud on their cell phone. Loud enough to hear their whole conversation
    3) Come in with extremely bad body odor.

Do you all feel the same way? What else bothers you?
    In response,

1) Sweat is proof that I was there. I need justification for this triple cheesburger that I'm about to eat, even if it means leaving behind my sweat for you to see/smell
    2) I have to talk loud because of all those huge muscly men grunting and dropping weights!
    3) Somebody has to balance out all the perfume-ridden cardio bunnies

LOL @ #3
  • OkieTink
    Options

Crotch fruit. lol.
  • sigsby
    sigsby Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    1. People working out in front of the dumbell rack and blocking them. Take a step back please.

2. People who horde equipment. For some machines there are attachements. Some people grab all the attachements for their workout and prevent anyone else from using them.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • digitalbath11
    digitalbath11 Posts: 3 Member
    Options

bahahaha...

Exactly! Anyone using equipment in a way in which is NOT meant to be used... yes, including blow dryers!
  • kloco
    kloco Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I hate:

1. People who stink and then workout, stink some more, and stink up the whole gym.
    2. People who were layers and layers at the gym. If you're gonna sweat, it better be from your own effort.
    3. Gym bunnies (or anyone else) who put little to no effort in their workout. Really they're just wasting space in a gym.
    4. Chicks that come to the gym with a full face of makeup on.