Eating Clean vs Paleo?

Options
I've researched it a bunch, and the best I can come up with is below, BUT I was wondering WHY people chose one or the other? I've heard negative backlash about Paleo being full of carbs and such. I've also heard negatives things about gluten and dairy, though, too. Also, most recipes I find that are from strong "paleo people" include honey/maple syrup, but the research I do says Paleo is WITHOUT that? Hmmm..Give me some feedback please!!

Eating Clean
■Eating food in it’s most natural state
■Nothing white (flour, sugar, rice, etc)
■Avoid all things processed and refined
■Lean protein and healthy fats (like those from nuts)
■Lots and lots of organic fruits and vegetables.
■Organic products
■No preservatives, no fast food, no alcohol
■No or limited dairy (depending on who you ask)

Paleo
■Lots of organic and grass fed lean meats
■Lots of organic veggies and fruits
■Lots of nuts and healthy fats
■Consuming food in it’s most natural state
■No sugar (unless from fruit or natural sweeteners such as honey or agave nectar), no legumes, no grains, no gluten
■No dairy

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've researched it a bunch, and the best I can come up with is below, BUT I was wondering WHY people chose one or the other? I've heard negative backlash about Paleo being full of carbs and such. I've also heard negatives things about gluten and dairy, though, too. Also, most recipes I find that are from strong "paleo people" include honey/maple syrup, but the research I do says Paleo is WITHOUT that? Hmmm..Give me some feedback please!!

Eating Clean
    ■Organic products

Paleo
    ■No sugar (unless from fruit or natural sweeteners such as honey or agave nectar), no legumes, no grains, no gluten
    ■No dairy

According to your lists, both sound absolutely terrible and over restrictive. Why not try eating foods you like, getting in adequate protein and fats, with a focus on mostly nutrient dense foods but also allowing yourself so called unclean foods in moderation?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Neither is required for fat loss. It's all about calories. Whether you get there is clean eating, paleo, atkins, etc.. it honestly won't make fat loss greater. Calories in vs out is the only equation to obtain fat loss. The rest is an approach that can help. But if you do NOT have a metabolic issue, sensitivity or medical issue, then there is no reason to restrict all of these foods.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Neither is required for fat loss. It's all about calories. Whether you get there is clean eating, paleo, atkins, etc.. it honestly won't make fat loss greater. Calories in vs out is the only equation to obtain fat loss. The rest is an approach that can help. But if you do NOT have a metabolic issue, sensitivity or medical issue, then there is no reason to restrict all of these foods.

this!
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

this!

yes!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

this!

yes!

Pretty much...I try to make overall more nutritious decisions than I used to, but nothing is completely off limits either. I can't be that restrictive in my diet...I'd go nuts and be absolutely miserable.
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else said.. "gluten free" and paleo is a trend. The actual number of people with actual Celiac disease and real medical need to remove gluten and all that is somewhere around 1 in 200, but you know how people are, everyone self diagnoses (remember how everyone was "lactose intolerant" in the early 90s?). But hey, if you decide to remove something from your diet and you feel better for it, then good on you.

I'll reiterate what Acg67 said though, it's all very restrictive and black and white and very hard to make livable. Like, I try to eat clean. I have a great deal of resources and time to make all my own foods and buy the "best" groceries, I don't have kids to deal with, and I control 99% of my food, and I still am not able to be 100% clean. I think every friend I have doing Paleo is on a constant cycle of "I'm doing it" and "I'm just gonna cheat this one meal then get back on it tomorrow". That mentality right there is what I personally had to get away from in order to find a way to really lose weight. The binary thinking that comes along with a "diet plan" is a recipe for disaster in my opinion.

Now, if it gives you a jumping off point as far as learning what "real" foods are, or helps you restructure your life away from processed foods, then that's valuable as long as you look at it as a learning experience and not "the one answer", IMO.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    If you are intent on doing one or the other, go for eating clean. Paleo, by emphasizing organic foods, is bad for the environment and for agriculture.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

According to your lists, both sound absolutely terrible and over restrictive. Why not try eating foods you like, getting in adequate protein and fats, with a focus on mostly nutrient dense foods but also allowing yourself so called unclean foods in moderation?
    I think they both sounds pretty great! (in an 80/20 fashion) :smile:
  • Acg67
    Options

Have fun not eating processed foods
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Haven't eaten much processed foods for about...13 years. Not much of an issue for me.
    Probably the MOST processed thing I eat is tortilla chips from time to time.
  • Acg67
    Options

Haven't eaten much processed foods for about...13 years. Not much of an issue for me.

No butter or cooking oils?
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options

Eating Clean
    ■Organic products

Paleo
    ■No dairy

What he said^^
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

No butter or cooking oils?
    A little olive oil from time to time. Both "lifestyles" allow for that. Regardless: 80/20. I eat pretty clean. And I like it. I wouldn't say I eat paleo, because as I said: I eat some corn tortilla.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

this!

yes!
    And another yes!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what your question is? Which is "healtier" overall (on a general basis)? Which most people find easier to follow? Just general opinions?

Both are "healthy" in that most people can get proper nutrition on either. I don't think one has an advantage over the other in that respect.

If I had to choose one, I'd definitely choose "clean" because I eat a lot of legumes and I'm not giving those up needlessly. And because Paleo considers legumes unhealthy I find it to be silly.

Luckily I don't have to choose either to be healthy and control my weight. I don't eat much junk, but a lot of my food would probably not be considered "clean" by some.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    They're both restrictive by your definition.....same same but different. lol
  • SadKitty27
    SadKitty27 Posts: 416 Member
    Options

I agree that this might this might be the case for some, but honestly not all. I'm not too fond of the condescending tone and the lack of foresight in this rant (yes, that's what it is,) and tries to paint a picture with too broad of a brush.

Just because someone is fat, does not mean that they've ever gorged themselves on tons of chocolate, baked goods or have eaten massive meals fit for two or more. Some people just don't know how to eat right in terms of balancing certain stats. For example, one might stay under their caloric intake, but exceed carbs or sugar which stalls their weight loss or causes them to gain.

Furthermore, constructive criticism goes a lot farther, because when you're constantly berating someone they tend to not want to listen to you, thus resulting in a waste of your time.
  • Acg67
    Options

Some people just don't know how to eat right in terms of balancing certain stats. For example, one might stay under their caloric intake, but exceed carbs or sugar which stalls their weight loss or causes them to gain.

Please no need for such fairy tales, carbs and sugar are no boogeymen (assuming no underlying medical conditions/intolerances)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For example, one might stay under their caloric intake, but exceed carbs or sugar which stalls their weight loss or causes them to gain.

If by "stay under their caloric intake" you mean eat at a calorie deficit (less in than out), then they might gain water weight, but they are not gaining fat. And they would only gain appreciable water weight if they have a metabolic, hormonal or other medical disorder.