Eating Clean vs Paleo?

Options

Replies

• WhoTheHellIsBen
    WhoTheHellIsBen Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

I agree that this might this might be the case for some, but honestly not all. I'm not too fond of the condescending tone and the lack of foresight in this rant (yes, that's what it is,) and tries to paint a picture with too broad of a brush.

Just because someone is fat, does not mean that they've ever gorged themselves on tons of chocolate, baked goods or have eaten massive meals fit for two or more. Some people just don't know how to eat right in terms of balancing certain stats. For example, one might stay under their caloric intake, but exceed carbs or sugar which stalls their weight loss or causes them to gain.

Furthermore, constructive criticism goes a lot farther, because when you're constantly berating someone they tend to not want to listen to you, thus resulting in a waste of your time.

Sorry, I misplaced my kid gloves and just hate cranking the AC high enough to handle all the gentle snow flakes that seem to accumulate everywhere. You must have missed the title of the blog this topic was posted under

No, I read the topic and replied accordingly; In case you missed it this is what the OP asked for :

" I was wondering WHY people chose one or the other? I've heard negative backlash about Paleo being full of carbs and such. I've also heard negatives things about gluten and dairy, though, too. Also, most recipes I find that are from strong "paleo people" include honey/maple syrup, but the research I do says Paleo is WITHOUT that? Hmmm..Give me some feedback "

While you did give feedback, quite frankly, I'll be blunt and say that it is you who doesn't understand, nor comprehend how to get a point across without sounding like for a lack of better words, a cantankerous self-proclaimed know-it-all who can't seem to get a word out without insulting someone.

Furthermore, you post lacked ANYTHING of substance. All the epic wall of text said in a nutshell was "You're fat tubbo because you eat too much." Again, that's painting a broad stroke, because that's assuming they are eating too much. You can get fat from eating the wrong foods even if in moderation.

From the sound of it, it looks as if you can't handle differentiating opinions or soft criticisms either. Also, don't mistake my polite demeanor for being a "snowflake," because I'm anything but.

Well you're wrong again. Actually ACG67 has taken me to the cleaners on knowledge before yet he resides on my friends list so oooops for you there.

My post was straight forward in saying you need accountability to succeed which most people lack. When you start blaming carbs, or refined sugar, or genetically modified food or whatever the trend is this minute for the reason you are overweight you have dodged your accountability.

When you then wave this new found flag to declare your war on which ever enemy of the body Dr. Oz has instructed you to do so with this week and then swear to battle it with a revolutionary break through like Adkins, Paleo, Blood type diet, Hcg, and so on, you have dodged accountability.

Maybe the real issue for you is my post hit a little too close to home for you. Try some accountability for the position you are in in life and maybe you can then become a HappyKitty
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Strict paleo is about clean eating as well but allows for some indulgences unless you are 100% and that is a huge lifestyle change. For me, paleo is best because I'm Insulin resistant and have Celiacs. Weight loss aside I find that eating mostly a clean paleo diet helps me feel healthier. I have more energy, less mental fogginess. I feel more human. Lol! But that is just my personal story. I am really sensitive to processed foods, especially fake sugars, so cutting those things 99% out of my diet has been awesome.
    clean/paleo sounds perfect for you.

Thanks, it is! Thats why I recommend that people try it if they are losing weight while eating sufficient calories but still feel crappy. The energy has been the greatest benefit. The biggest challenge has been accepting that I cant eat like most people. But slipping up and eating "junk" and feeling the inflammation and fogginess gets me back on track fast. The sacrifice is worth it in my case.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    You can eat very unhealthy either way, if you for instance eat a very few things from the many choices you have. You can also eat very healthy either way.

A lot of people scoff at fad diets, but one of the interesting things about fads is that it makes people think about what they eat, learn new recipes, and figure out what works for them. Paleo won't be good for everybody, but for me the existence of a couple of Paleo restaurants in the area is a wonderful gift, as it lets me get fast-food I can eat: vegetables, meat or fish, and nuts, no gluten, slow carbs. One of those restaurants is right next to a raw food restaurant, which I also love, as it's also gluten free. I use both, and I love it.

I wouldn't say Paleo is a fad diet as its been around since the 70s... or arguably since the dawn of man kind.

Not sure that 'clean eating' would be catagorized as a fad diet either.
    Whenever I see someone obsessed over what they shouldn't eat, I wonder what their religion is. It is highly unusual for someone to have exclusionary diets except that they believe that's what their god wants for them.

maybe i just didn't follow the conversation but i don't see what religion has to do with anything.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Neither is required for fat loss. It's all about calories. Whether you get there is clean eating, paleo, atkins, etc.. it honestly won't make fat loss greater. Calories in vs out is the only equation to obtain fat loss. The rest is an approach that can help. But if you do NOT have a metabolic issue, sensitivity or medical issue, then there is no reason to restrict all of these foods.

Obesity is a metabolic issue.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I have done both for health reasons but I enjoy Weight Watchers the most, the old weight watchers, not the crap that they are pushing right now.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Again, that's painting a broad stroke, because that's assuming they are eating too much. You can get fat from eating the wrong foods even if in moderation.

You can't change science.

Your opinion is great but when it's trying to discredit proven science, it puts people off.

OP....I've done Paleo...Clean Eating...tried them all. And I found them all too restrictive. I finally lost weight when I took a hard look at how much I was eating...and adjusted that number accordingly..boom...50 lbs gone. If the reasoning for trying it is to "jumpstart" a diet, then go for it. But as for a lifestyle, I'm not quite sure how anyone can stand it, to be honest. Just my two cents.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    I have done both for health reasons but I enjoy Weight Watchers the most, the old weight watchers, not the crap that they are pushing right now.

WW was forced to change because the old system made no sense. The new one isn't much better. They do not actually teach you how to eat right, they just show you quick shortcuts to get basic results. Once you leave the plan the average person fails which is how WW continues to make money, it's one fast spinning revolving door
  • subconscious_ink
    subconscious_ink Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I've researched it a bunch, and the best I can come up with is below, BUT I was wondering WHY people chose one or the other? I've heard negative backlash about Paleo being full of carbs and such. I've also heard negatives things about gluten and dairy, though, too. Also, most recipes I find that are from strong "paleo people" include honey/maple syrup, but the research I do says Paleo is WITHOUT that? Hmmm..Give me some feedback please!!

The thing about different styles of eating like Paleo is that everyone adapts those styles for themselves. So some people will eat more sugar than others, which is why some Paleo eaters consume a lot of honey and fruit, and some don't. Some also consume a lot of carbs from fruits and veggies, while others don't. I think it is good that people adapt eating styles to fit themselves, because not everyone reacts to food in the same ways, and not everyone has a big enough budget that they can afford grass-fed beef or whatever. Paleo is really just a loose set of guidelines.

I know I feel much better when I cut out MOST grains - I try to eat mostly primal (which is paleo + dairy) and I feel a lot better than I did before. I have a lot more energy and never get bloated now. But yes, I do eat things containing grains occasionally. I know that pasta and grains didn't make me fat -- I did that. But trying to eat primal/paleo food helps me make better choices, and makes me feel better all around, even though I'm not very strict with it.

I also find that it helps me make better choices regarding the types of food I eat. Before, I ate a lot more pasta and rice, and hardly any vegetables. Since I cut out the pasta and rice, I have vegetables as side dishes now, and I find that I mostly don't miss the pasta and rice.

Basically, people do it because they feel like they get some benefit from it.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Whenever I see somebody crabbing that something is too restrictive, I see somebody who hasn't the willpower to make a change somebody else is willing to make. that is all.

A lack of willpower requires a desire, but not the will, to adhere to something. So, are you suggesting the you believe everyone has the desire to follow a restrictive diet, but only some have the will, or are you simply taking a "holier than thou" approach to incite argument?

Whenever I see someone obsessed over what they shouldn't eat, I wonder what their religion is. It is highly unusual for someone to have exclusionary diets except that they believe that's what their god wants for them.

Sometimes their religion is "environmentally-aware hipster" :D
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i dont' do paelo, but i honestly try to get as close as i can to the 'clean eat' method.

Honestly, the only thing i find 'restrictive' about it is that its far less convienient, harder to get something 'clean' to eat if you haven't planned ahead.

Most other things that i really want are generally avoided on any weight loss program (like candy and ice cream).

I guess ideally i'd want to find someway to work these foods into my lifestyle (and i do beleive me). And i guess thats what people mean by saying these diets are 'too restrictive'.

but i mean, you can follow the rules of a paelo diet, ocassionally indulge, and spend most of your time eating the Paleo way and still claim to be eating a Paleo diet IMO... so to me thats not really a valid arguement to scrap the method altogether.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

maybe i just didn't follow the conversation but i don't see what religion has to do with anything.

Because normally people do not have exclusionary diets unless dictated by religion.
  • WhoTheHellIsBen
    Options
    You can eat very unhealthy either way, if you for instance eat a very few things from the many choices you have. You can also eat very healthy either way.

A lot of people scoff at fad diets, but one of the interesting things about fads is that it makes people think about what they eat, learn new recipes, and figure out what works for them. Paleo won't be good for everybody, but for me the existence of a couple of Paleo restaurants in the area is a wonderful gift, as it lets me get fast-food I can eat: vegetables, meat or fish, and nuts, no gluten, slow carbs. One of those restaurants is right next to a raw food restaurant, which I also love, as it's also gluten free. I use both, and I love it.

I wouldn't say Paleo is a fad diet as its been around since the 70s... or arguably since the dawn of man kind.

Because normally people do not have exclusionary diets unless dictated by religion.

Wha??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :huh: :huh: ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: ???????????????????????????????????????????????
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Well like most of these Clean Eating/ Paleo threads, this has devolved into ridiculousness.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Whenever I see somebody crabbing that something is too restrictive, I see somebody who hasn't the willpower to make a change somebody else is willing to make. that is all.

A lack of willpower requires a desire, but not the will, to adhere to something. So, are you suggesting the you believe everyone has the desire to follow a restrictive diet, but only some have the will, or are you simply taking a "holier than thou" approach to incite argument?

Sometimes their religion is "environmentally-aware hipster" :D

Yep! That too.

I remember in the early 80s, one of my older cousins tried the "raw food diet," and my parents were calling her a hippie. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Well like most of these Clean Eating/ Paleo threads, this has devolved into ridiculousness.

Which only makes sense. :laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Wha??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :huh: :huh: ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: ???????????????????????????????????????????????

I take it that you've never studied religion or sociology? There are many major world religions that tell their adherents not to eat certain things. It's actually pretty common in the Big 3: Christianity, Judaism, Islam. It can also be found in Hindu and others.

I don't know how to state my opinion any more clearly than what I have done. *shrug*
  • crystal9999
    crystal9999 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Neither is required for fat loss. It's all about calories. Whether you get there is clean eating, paleo, atkins, etc.. it honestly won't make fat loss greater. Calories in vs out is the only equation to obtain fat loss. The rest is an approach that can help. But if you do NOT have a metabolic issue, sensitivity or medical issue, then there is no reason to restrict all of these foods.

this!

yes!

Pretty much...I try to make overall more nutritious decisions than I used to, but nothing is completely off limits either. I can't be that restrictive in my diet...I'd go nuts and be absolutely miserable.

Me too!!!!
  • babymaddux
    babymaddux Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    If you don't miss these foods, is it really restrictive? In the same vein as telling someone who doesn't luuuurve chocolate how much they are missing out on it, IMO. Paleo eaters can say how restrictive you are by not eating head cheese and liver, too, just because you don't eat it. How many vegetarians are there who just plain don't like to eat meat? I woudl hesitate to call that diet restricted, it's a matter of choice, not necessity. Same with the others. Eating clean/paleo isn't the only way to lose weight, but many people choose to eat thusly to live in optimal health, not for a quick weight loss. Whenever I see somebody crabbing that something is too restrictive, I see somebody who hasn't the willpower to make a change somebody else is willing to make. that is all.

exactly. i don't eat bread because american bread is awful! if i was still in the uk i'd be eating it regularly. i don't like the texture of beans so i choose not to eat them. i like a big marbled juicy rare steak with lots of veg...
  • mamagirl49
    mamagirl49 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I agree that this might this might be the case for some, but honestly not all. I'm not too fond of the condescending tone and the lack of foresight in this rant (yes, that's what it is,) and tries to paint a picture with too broad of a brush.

Just because someone is fat, does not mean that they've ever gorged themselves on tons of chocolate, baked goods or have eaten massive meals fit for two or more. Some people just don't know how to eat right in terms of balancing certain stats. For example, one might stay under their caloric intake, but exceed carbs or sugar which stalls their weight loss or causes them to gain.

Furthermore, constructive criticism goes a lot farther, because when you're constantly berating someone they tend to not want to listen to you, thus resulting in a waste of your time.

Sorry, I misplaced my kid gloves and just hate cranking the AC high enough to handle all the gentle snow flakes that seem to accumulate everywhere. You must have missed the title of the blog this topic was posted under

WhoTheHell's right and I didn't get fat eating sprouts!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

Obesity is a metabolic issue.

I would say it's more of an eating more than you burn issue. But please explain what you mean.