Question for ladies with families....

Options
So there's me, my husband my 3 /12 year old son and my 1 year old daughter. My husband hates vegetables, maybe likes only 4 or 5 fruits, loves red meat and bacon and sausage, is lactose intolerant, o doesnt drink milk, but still insists on eating cheese, pasta and bread.(And hes diabetic :noway: ) my kids are starting to stick their noses up at veggies because dad does. Well, I do the shopping for the household. I do ALL of the cooking. Should I just start making meals and either him and the kids eat or they don't?? I'm sick of making different things for everyone!!!! Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Replies

• tigger9759
    tigger9759 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    You need the sign I have in my kitchen: Today's Menu...eat it or starve!
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    You need the sign I have in my kitchen: Today's Menu...eat it or starve!

I love that!!!!
  • Momto4under7
    Momto4under7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree. I cook what I cook, and try to stay healthy with veggies. If my husband doesn't like something, he picks it out. Maybe ask him to be discreet about his disdain for vegetables to not influence your kids decisions about them. I also try to keep things that I know he doesn't like in a separate pot if possible. I really don't want to spend the time making different things ofr everyone, I can understand why you're tired of it too.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Eat it or starve.

Handed down from generation to generation to generation in my family.

My son eats what I give him, or he starves.

So does any man who may enter my life.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't make special meals. We eat what we eat. Period. My husband wasn't crazy about veggies, so I gave him the same advice I give on this forum. Eat them first, and get them out of the way.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Make one meal, if they don't eat, they can make their own.
    That's how I learned to quit being a picky eater as a child.
    Edit to add: And any grown man should know how to make his own meals.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    im not a short-order cook....

everyone in my house (two kids, husband) eats what i eat and well, if they dont eat it they can just go hungry...

i eat healthfully and i belive that my family should to...

my kids love the meals that i prepare...at first they were not big on some of the things but i had a rule where they had to try everything on their plates...eventually they just ate it cause they didnt have a choice or they really did like it...

as for your husband, maybe try and explain to him that you are trying to have the family eat better and to give what you eat a try...

if not, well he can fend for himself!
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options

you'd think so, but no. He was never taught how to cook ANYTHING! He cant even make toast withought burning it. It's pretty sad. His mom always taught him that's why you find a wife. Ugh. And I tried to teach him to cook. After 5 minutes he says"I don't have patience for this" and leaves.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I make a meal with something in it that everyone likes. I don't make separate meals. I don't have time. I don't do everyone's laundry either.
  • 24redwine
    Options
    I often put out but up fruit or raw veggies while I am cooking dinnner. It's amazing how the kids will eat them when they are so hungry. They will keep running back in to eat them. No sense cooking them or serving them WITH dinner, just get them in first. A little low fat ranch dressing makes a reasonable dip. Baby carrots, sliced cucumber or celery, cherry tomatoes, etc. Sliced apples or oranges, strawberries, etc. Put them out on a pretty plate like you would for guests.
  • sphira
    sphira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Don't make separate meals and the rule should be to eat whatever mom cooks. In the beginning if they refuse to eat it I would wrap up the plate and when they asked for food later they got their plate back. They learned real quick they could not get away with it. I started from the beginning with each kids so now they are use to it.
  • ClassicStyles
    Options
    Take some advice from someone who wishes she had asked the same question 20 years ago.

In the beginning when my kids were little, they would eat with Mommy and all was ok. I would cook healthy food and my kids would eat it without any trouble.

My husband would do what yours is doing... refuse to eat vegetables.. not eat healthy... and he negatively influenced my children. It is now 20 years later, my husband has had a heart attack at 48 and my kids, 23 and 15 are bears when it comes to healthy eating. They have had his horrible infulence for years.. (often taking my kids to McDonalds behind my back).

I should have stood my ground. I'm still fighting every day for my kids... but it is really really hard when they get older.

Do the right thing. Set the rules in your kitchen. Tell HIM to eat by himself if he must eat unhealthful. Do it for your kids.
  • Gin66
    Gin66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Shame on his Mom!!!

My family eats what I eat, very lean lots and lots of vegetables. My one concession is that once a week they pick what they want. They take turns picking, and it has to be reasonable. Like no cake for dinner. I knew I was doing a great job the day it was my 9 year old sons turn to pick and he asked me to make that thing he liked. What thing I asked, you know Mom the one with the Kale.........
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Start serving the veggies TODAY! The sooner they start to eat them, the better. Kids who don't eat fruits and veggies early, have more trouble with it later. Don't do that to them. You are investing the time and trouble in their lifelong health.

I try to serve meat, a veggie, and a good carb with every meal. We snack on fruit. No sodas, limited processed snacks. Limited juice (100% juice). Let the treats be real treats. The rest should be food.

Our dinners have a couple of things I expect everyone to like and a couple of experiments or iffy things. If they don't like the squash, they can eat the quinoa and salmon and just a few bites of the squash. I try to spice up the veggies some, though: cheese sprinkles, Tony Chachere's (my family likes spiciness), nuts, etc.

Good luck. They will adjust after a few weeks. My kids love turkey burgers now and will try any new food in a restaurant. It is great!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

you'd think so, but no. He was never taught how to cook ANYTHING! He cant even make toast withought burning it. It's pretty sad. His mom always taught him that's why you find a wife. Ugh. And I tried to teach him to cook. After 5 minutes he says"I don't have patience for this" and leaves.

tumblr_likldutDx61qep8uc.gif
    He needs to learn to cook. Even if it's simple stuff, get the kids in on it too. Kids should learn to cook.
  • zhvah18
    zhvah18 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    im not a short-order cook....

i eat healthfully and i belive that my family should to...

I agree with both of these statements. I may ask for their input and over time they've learned what our family eats. Just tonight my 5 year old requested fish for dinner! baked fish, not fish sticks, but a fish fillet! I honestly don't think he even knows what a fish stick is. I digress, I cook what I cook and they know if they don't eat it, then they go hungry. Thankfully I don't have to deal with many if any complaints.
  • elis_mama
    elis_mama Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    For the most part, my hubby will eat veggies if I cook them. Our 2 year old son eats veggies like a CHAMP! He LOVES broccoli. Tonite, he devoured zucchini lasagna, broccoli, spinach and peaches. I usually make the same meal for everyone. The only time I didn't was tonite. The son and I ate zucchini lasagna and I made my hubby regular lasagna. Because it's his FAVORITE meal, so I don't mess with that. Lol
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    You have the right idea! You cook a healthy meal, put it in front of them, and that's the meal. Like it or lump it. I would also talk to your husband about being quiet about his dislike of certain foods. He can have his dislikes, but he needs to allow his children to make up their own minds.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    How controlled is his Diabetes? If it is out of control I say take control Mama you may be saving his life and the future of your children if you have to.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Go old school on em, either they eat what you make, or dont eat at all. that BS! your not a slave. ( you know what I mean) theyll learn to love veggies.