I've stopped counting calories & weight is still dropping.

Options
After some time, I’ve chosen to stop counting calories. I hear many of you on here saying “a calorie is a calorie” - or “just stay under your calorie limit and you will be fine”.

I couldn’t disagree with those comments any more. First off - a pound of fat is equal to 4082 calories. I know many of you think it’s 3500 calories, but that is just a myth that has made it’s way to mainstream and now spoken as facts by almost everyone.

Lets break it down - 1 gram of fat = 9 calories (undisputed). Well if that is the case - and there are 453.6 grams in a pound - a pound of fat MUST have 4082 calories. Granted that 1 lb of fat isn’t even really 1 lb of pure fat! In fact, about 1/6 of a pound of fat is actually water! So TECHNICALLY the fat part of that 1 lb. of pure fat would be 3400 calories to burn - plus the excess water.

And about this calorie is a calorie BS. Really? Do some of you really think that 2000 calories of chocolate = 2000 calories of fruits and veggies? Would someone who is trying to lose weight and eating 2000 calories a day of sugar have the same results of someone eating 2000 calories a day of veggies? Of course not! Our bodies react differently to different foods - regardless of their calorie intake.

I should be eating around 2,200 calories a day for my size (5’11 - 250 lb.) if I wanted to lose 2 lb. per week. Yet I have continually ate around 1,300 - 1,600 calories per day - many days eating more because I felt I needed to to have energy (mind playing tricks).

I have been eating very clean. Hardly any grain, mostly beans, lentils, fresh veggies, seeds, the occasional vega or genuine health shake - even the occasional beef burger &/or pizza slice (I added that in to show I am not vegan- more-so plant based). Well since I’ve stopped counting calories - I’ve not noticed my weight continuing to drop, while not worrying about calorie counting. I understand what is good food, what is bad food (shouldn’t even be considered food at all), and I have also discovered portion control. I’ve also taught myself to drink 24oz of lemon water when I feel hungry and wait - just to see if it was hunger, or I was bored. Most of the time I still eat, but not as much b/c the water is filling too.

Many people on this site is accurate with their calorie counting anyway. I weigh and measure my food and I believe I am still off by 20% or more at times with certain foods.

Lastly, I’ll touch on protein. This has to be one of the hardest myths to crack - YOU DON’T NEED 1-2 Grams of protein to build/maintain muscle! I don’t care what Arnold told you! He was on steroids so eating ANY amount of protein would have had a much greater affect on him than anyone else eating less or the same protein as him.

According to the Institute of Medicine, the average healthy adult requires 0.36 g of protein per pound of body weight per day. So for example, if you weigh 150 lb.., you would need 54 g of protein a day. In food terms, that would equal a 4 oz. piece of chicken, 6 oz. cup of Greek yogurt and a half-cup of skim milk.

Athletes and people over the age of 60 might benefit from increasing the recommended amount of protein in their diets to support muscle growth and prevent muscle loss, respectively. The recommended amount of protein for strength and endurance athletes ranges from 0.5 to 0.8 g of protein per pound. Older adults may benefit from increasing the amount of protein in their diets to 0.5 g of protein per pound per day. That is a far cry from 1-2 g everyone is saying on here. I have gone with lower protein, I’ve noticed muscle size increase and strength too. Any of the excess protein you eat is excreted out. So don’t worry if you’re under a little!

Bottom line, do what works for you at this moment, but make sure you have an exit strategy or a sustainable method. I know some people on here have lost over 100 lb. and track calories like it was second nature - but I believe they don’t need to anymore. They tracked until they know what acceptable amounts are, what clean foods are, and what portion control is. If you see the scale go up, then you know to eat cleaner - more greens & veggies. Remove the processed foods (they are horrible for you anyway).

For those that continue to count calories - it’s not a perfect method (none are), but it should at the very least teach portion control.

Also - Probably the most important thing - It’s not how many calories, it’s what the body can do with it! Choose foods rich in nutrients - not low in nutrients and rich in calories! I will say that calories are a good thing to count if you are not doing anything other than counting and measuring weight.

I’ll leave the scale and not measuring your body for another rant ;) & I will still be on here until my goal is reached! (like calorie counting - seeing all of your success stories is real motivating ;) ).

Quote :Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of numbers to track for someone who doesn't think counting calories is necessary. And why weigh and measure your food if you're not counting?

Pretty much "no" to the whole post.

You do get this is a calorie counting website, right?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I was going to write a reply, but didn't even know where to start.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    After some time, I’ve chosen to stop counting calories. I hear many of you on here saying “a calorie is a calorie” - or “just stay under your calorie limit and you will be fine”.

I couldn’t disagree with those comments any more. First off - a pound of fat is equal to 4082 calories. I know many of you think it’s 3500 calories, but that is just a myth that has made it’s way to mainstream and now spoken as facts by almost everyone.

Lets break it down - 1 gram of fat = 9 calories (undisputed). Well if that is the case - and there are 453.6 grams in a pound - a pound of fat MUST have 4082 calories. Granted that 1 lb of fat isn’t even really 1 lb of pure fat! In fact, about 1/6 of a pound of fat is actually water! So TECHNICALLY the fat part of that 1 lb. of pure fat would be 3400 calories to burn - plus the excess water.

And about this calorie is a calorie BS. Really? Do some of you really think that 2000 calories of chocolate = 2000 calories of fruits and veggies? Would someone who is trying to lose weight and eating 2000 calories a day of sugar have the same results of someone eating 2000 calories a day of veggies? Of course not! Our bodies react differently to different foods - regardless of their calorie intake.

Quote :Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

Where to start?

First your undisputed fact is disputed. 9 cal per gram of fat s an average estimate really dependent on a variety of co-factors.
    Second, the 3500 is the calories associated with an increase in a 1 lb weight not 1 lb of fat but a total pound of fat and water. The 9 cals are based on fat dry weight.

Now, what was your question?

No one s saying that 2000 calories of chocolates equals 2000 calories of fruit. No one.

Look of the fallacy of the excluded middle.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    While reading this wall of text I read "Lastly "and got my hopes up, thinking that the wall of text was over.

Well, I was lied to. You went on and on and on. How can I respect your words when You don't finish talking soon after saying "lastly"?

Lastly, if counting calories don't work for you. Thats fine. Many people in the past, present and future have lost weight without counting calories. MFP's counting calories is just another way of doing it and I (along with many others like this method.

I bid you good luck sir. Take care :)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I was going to write a reply, but didn't even know where to start.

^^yep
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this thread because it has the potential to be epic.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

Wait... Did I read this wrong, or are you trying to say that dietary fat intake dictates body fat gains?
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you've found something that works for you - and I wish you continued success.

I, however, have tracked and will continue to track calories. That's sustainable for me (10+ years and counting <calories> - haha!), reliable, and is something I have found invaluable. It's not just about portion control for me and I DO believe there is great use in counting and measuring beyond an acute weight loss stage and into maintenance. There's quite a bit in your post that I disagree with... and quite a bit more I think is outright misinformation. One **thin** thread I CAN support is that all calories are not created equal. How you FEEL will differ depending on the fuel you choose. However, you WILL lose weight if you eat a calorie deficit, even if it's all chocolate. I won't bore people to tears with the other aspects of your post that I think are (hmm, how to put this as respectfully as possible)... mythological.

With your post and with all the other opinions out there... just a reminder to readers... do what works for YOU, leave others to their own devices, and take all "indisputable" advice with a grain of salt. (and track the sodium in that grain, too!)

Again, really glad you have something that works for you. I appreciate the time you took to post your views. I'm sure some folks will find it valuable. Continued success to you.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I'm glad you've found something that works for you - and I wish you continued success.

I, however, have tracked and will continue to track calories. That's sustainable for me (10+ years and counting <calories> - haha!), reliable, and is something I have found invaluable.

With your post and with all the other opinions out there... just a reminder to readers... do what works for YOU, leave others to their own devices, and take all "indisputable" advice with a grain of salt. (and track the sodium in that grain, too!)

Holy cr@p girl...look at your ticker. Awesome!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

I, however, have tracked and will continue to track calories. That's sustainable for me (10+ years and counting <calories> - haha!), reliable, and is something I have found invaluable.

Step off, I'm president of her fan club. :P
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Bully!

Note: for anyone reading this *cough* mods*cough*, MoreBean is a friend, a highly supportive, motivational one at that and is an outstanding individual who personifies grace and dignity.
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    [

<<Grins>> There's my bean!!!! Where's the check with the monthly dues?!?! My bank account is gettin' low!!
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I don't like your tone young man. Preachy preach preach. Blar. That's all I have to say. So there.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    [

<<Grins>> There's my bean!!!! Where's the check with the monthly dues?!?! My bank account is gettin' low!!

How about just virtual diamonds? <throws a bunch> Bravo!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,092 Member
    Options
    I agree - its not necessary to count calories to lose weight. If you can eat an amount of food with less total energy than your body uses,you will lose weight.

Calorie counting is just one way to achieve that, albeit a way that works for a lot of people.

If your'e not one of them and another method works for you, that's great - but leave those who use the calorie counting method to it.

Ps: this is a very friendly supportive site - but it sure seems to also attract some self righteous knowi-it-all posters :smile:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    lolcatfail.jpg
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Re OP, blah blah indeed. However, one thing I violently disagree with enough to warrant posting is that people's protein requirements differ wildly depending on their exercise profile. And I don't mean to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Protein builds, creates and more importantly repairs muscle tissue. If you exercise a lot, eating protein will speed your recovery. You don't need protein shakes etc etc but in its natural form it is essential.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

I have lost weight without counting calories again and again and again. It's easy to eat less than you need without counting. Hungry? Eating hardly anything calorie dense? You're probably at a deficit.

What is far harder is maintaining without counting. Hungry, but don't want to lose? Eat more. How much more? Hard to judge. You may be capable of maintaining without counting, but I wouldn't recommend quitting mfp as soon as you hit your goal weight. If you think you need motivation now, just wait until you hit maintenance. I read somewhere that it takes 6 years for your body to accept a new weight, so for six years, if you listen to your body, you can expect to gain. This is when calorie counting can become truly invaluable.

I wish you the best of luck in your weight loss AND maintenance.

Xxx
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options

LOL read this and couldnt even read more. a lb of fat is 453.6g * 9Cal=4082Cals but the body stores water, etc within a lb of fat so its never pure fat!

edit skimmed through post OP urine an idiot.
  • RevanCounts
    Options
    At the end of the day, It's all about portion control. The thing is, counting calories is fun, and weighting myself every week to see how much I've dropped is also fun.