I've stopped counting calories & weight is still dropping.

Options

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you've found something that works for you - and I wish you continued success.

I, however, have tracked and will continue to track calories. That's sustainable for me (10+ years and counting <calories> - haha!), reliable, and is something I have found invaluable. It's not just about portion control for me and I DO believe there is great use in counting and measuring beyond an acute weight loss stage and into maintenance. There's quite a bit in your post that I disagree with... and quite a bit more I think is outright misinformation. One **thin** thread I CAN support is that all calories are not created equal. How you FEEL will differ depending on the fuel you choose. However, you WILL lose weight if you eat a calorie deficit, even if it's all chocolate. I won't bore people to tears with the other aspects of your post that I think are (hmm, how to put this as respectfully as possible)... mythological.

With your post and with all the other opinions out there... just a reminder to readers... do what works for YOU, leave others to their own devices, and take all "indisputable" advice with a grain of salt. (and track the sodium in that grain, too!)

Again, really glad you have something that works for you. I appreciate the time you took to post your views. I'm sure some folks will find it valuable. Continued success to you.

Awesome progress!!
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Bottom line, do what works for you

I agree with this bit

Ditto!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    So, I read the post and some of the comments.

I am not certain about any of the science mentioned in the post. The protein info is certainly interesting and I will be doing some investigating on my own. The info I have been given to date on protein is contrary to the post. So, I need to do some more research.

As for some of the negative comments. To each his own. I have nothing negative to say. In fact, much of this makes sense to me. As I worked through my weight loss it became apparent quickly that I was making a transformation in life style. So, on this basis, as my new life style took hold and became my new normal. The real need to track daily calorie intake became less important to my goal of being healthy. I still count calories and I still log my exercise calories. Mostly because it is a habit and it gives me some perspective on my day to day consumption. In addition, I have made friends through this web site who are at different places in their journey. I think that if they see me logging and participating, it might provide some little bit of motivation to keep on track with their work towards better health.
  • family_girl2626
    Options
    Congratulations on your success but I am having trouble understanding why would you come on a calorie counting website and tell off of us we are wrong? Is the numbers on here an "exact science" ,,,,probably not however it is giving us a chance to get control of our lives. The numbers on the peoples tickers are a tribute to that. You sound like you have done your research with lots of statistics and numbers. You are probably a very intelligent man, so please give us some credit that the people using this site are dedicated and are unlikely to eat 2000 calories of chocolate in place of 2000 calories of the good food. To be honest I find that rather offensive. Thanks for just letting us do what is working for us, and we will let you do what is working for you. Wishing you all the best.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    There is a lot in this message that is correct, but also quite a bit that is incorrect. Your post perpetuates many myths. As you said, you are losing without calorie counting because you have learned what to eat and trained yourself to eat well below your BMR. There are many factors that you are failing to consider and logging food isn't just about tracking calories.

I'm sorry, but I prefer to take my diet and fitness advice from individuals who have practiced their methods for more than a month.

Have a nice day! :flowerforyou:
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    Pretty much "no" to the whole post.
    I was going to write a reply, but didn't even know where to start.

seriously.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of numbers to track for someone who doesn't think counting calories is necessary. And why weigh and measure your food if you're not counting?

I feel like my pic describes the OP quite well!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Pretty much "no" to the whole post.
    I was going to write a reply, but didn't even know where to start.

seriously.

/end thread
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Regarding protein intake, I follow the RDA of Health Canada which is 0.8g/kg as a minimum. There was a study I read here which showed that older subjects had diminished lean body mass wastage with increased protein intake above the RDA.
    I'm looking for it...
    It may be a trade off for liver and kidney function but interesting none the less.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Regarding protein intake, I follow the RDA of Health Canada which is 0.8g/kg as a minimum. There was a study I read here which showed that older subjects had diminished lean body mass wastage with increased protein intake above the RDA.
    I'm looking for it...
    It may be a trade off for liver and kidney function but interesting none the less.

This one?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11382798
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    That be it, thanks. Those who said the elderly should decrease protein intake should have a read. It's only one study mind.
  • bellygoaway
    bellygoaway Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Dear OP,

Is it cold where you live? Did you really feel the need to start a flame war just to feel warm? What you did is kind of like walking into a church and calling everyone stupid because of what they believe. If you think counting calories is pure and udder crap, what are you doing on the site?
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Eating less and eating clean.....yes I get that...I know what's good and what's too much but knowing is not doing. Slimming World is a diet club that labels processed foods..."syns"...there is no weighing just eating "clean' and avoiding bread till you get the "full signal" from your stomach.

I know all this yet I'm still overweight because for people with a tendency to overindulge which describes a fair number of people here the first thing is to set limits...either quality of food (Dukan, Atkins, Slimming World) or quantity (calories, weight watchers).

Basically some sort of limit will suffice to start an initial weight loss. As far as long term changes the jury is still out there as the majority of dieters will gain the weight back.....otherwise dieting would be a one off and the diet clubs wouldn't be making such a profit.

Well done on making the changes that have worked for you. I am new to calorie counting but not new to food and diets...I'm an old hand who actually maintained weight loss for about 8 yrs then "lost it". I love my biscuits...and cake....so I'm not letting go of those in a way that makes me ruminate on them. Yet I have a strong desire to lose weight. So I will use some sort of limit and for now it's counting calories and making sure I am making exercise a habit.

P.S as far as protein goes I did the Dukan diet and ate mega quantities of protein...lost tons of weight then it stalled....even with all that protein...My health suffered for it...gall stones and kidney stones so been there and done that and got the t-shirt that reads "Still Fat"
  • Bulldogmomma3
    Bulldogmomma3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    As other people have stated, there is no ONE way for everyone. Do what works for you and don't worry about everyone else's opinion. I have been successful counting calories and I don't eat 100% clean and I really don't care if anyone else doesn't like it. I am doing this for ME and it's working!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    While I do disagree with a few of your points, I see what you're trying to say and I definitely do agree that eating more nutritious and less processed foods will always be the better way. I also can't imagine myself counting calories forever, but I think it's a useful tool for people who may not yet have a sense of portions or really what exactly they are eating. Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Quote :Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

Soo, you're in the majority of Western culture that doesn't track what they eat and ends up...
  • atamrowski
    atamrowski Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    FAT!
  • Christie0428
    Christie0428 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    .... If you think you need motivation now, just wait until you hit maintenance. I read somewhere that it takes 6 years for your body to accept a new weight, so for six years, if you listen to your body, you can expect to gain. This is when calorie counting can become truly invaluable.

I wish you the best of luck in your weight loss AND maintenance.

Xxx

^^^ this!! Maintenance is where I've failed before... not this time!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    .... If you think you need motivation now, just wait until you hit maintenance. I read somewhere that it takes 6 years for your body to accept a new weight, so for six years, if you listen to your body, you can expect to gain. This is when calorie counting can become truly invaluable.

I wish you the best of luck in your weight loss AND maintenance.

Xxx

^^^ this!! Maintenance is where I've failed before... not this time!!

That's because weight loss is "easy"...eating fewer calories than you need doesn't take a whole lot of planning. If you're a little hungry, congrats, you're doing it. The "hard" part is in eating just the right amount of calories to support your ideal/goal weight.

(Well, that and the body composition you want, but that just makes an overall sound plan that much more important/difficult, not less.)

OP, best of luck to you in your approach. I hope it works out for you. Once you've reached and maintained your GW for a time, please let us know if your thoughts have changed on this approach.