I've stopped counting calories & weight is still dropping.

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    TL;DR
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    32424047.jpg
  • AngelsInThighHighs
    AngelsInThighHighs Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    FAT!

NOoooo not that word!! Report report report!!

;p
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Blah blah blah... what ever
  • CandiSki
    CandiSki Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I agree, quality over quantity. :flowerforyou:
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I give this thread the broscience seal of approval
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I do not understand the point behind this post. A lot of data with nothing backing it up. Also, pointless data.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you've found something that works for you - and I wish you continued success.

I, however, have tracked and will continue to track calories. That's sustainable for me (10+ years and counting <calories> - haha!), reliable, and is something I have found invaluable. It's not just about portion control for me and I DO believe there is great use in counting and measuring beyond an acute weight loss stage and into maintenance. There's quite a bit in your post that I disagree with... and quite a bit more I think is outright misinformation. One **thin** thread I CAN support is that all calories are not created equal. How you FEEL will differ depending on the fuel you choose. However, you WILL lose weight if you eat a calorie deficit, even if it's all chocolate. I won't bore people to tears with the other aspects of your post that I think are (hmm, how to put this as respectfully as possible)... mythological.

With your post and with all the other opinions out there... just a reminder to readers... do what works for YOU, leave others to their own devices, and take all "indisputable" advice with a grain of salt. (and track the sodium in that grain, too!)

Again, really glad you have something that works for you. I appreciate the time you took to post your views. I'm sure some folks will find it valuable. Continued success to you.

Wow! What an inspiration you are! Congrats on your excellent work and on doing it the right way!
  • himilayaneyes
    himilayaneyes Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Google the "Twinkie Diet" as far as types of calories are concerned. Plus, glad you're still getting results. Everyone has to do what works for them. As far as your other information, do you have scientific references?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Strawman army ITT.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I never tracked calories before I found this website, and that is the reason I am not at a healthy weight. Now that I'm on MFP, I'm getting on track. For me, the whole point of counting calories is to make sure I don't eat too much or too little. Without looking at calories, I could easily gain weight back. Counting calories is the only method that works for me.
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. I lost all this same weight on weight watchers eating nothing but "lo cal" and "lo fat" crap food. However, I learned absolutely nothing about nutrition. This time around I'm learning how to eat better so it's sustainable. You can eat whatever you want at a calorie defecit and you will lose weight. But IMO it's unsustainable.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    THANKS bro!!
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Bored now... :/
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    This was a really cool story, bro!
  • thekyleo
    thekyleo Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Junk Science!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    After some time, I’ve chosen to stop counting calories. I hear many of you on here saying “a calorie is a calorie” - or “just stay under your calorie limit and you will be fine”.

I couldn’t disagree with those comments any more. First off - a pound of fat is equal to 4082 calories. I know many of you think it’s 3500 calories, but that is just a myth that has made it’s way to mainstream and now spoken as facts by almost everyone.

Lets break it down - 1 gram of fat = 9 calories (undisputed). Well if that is the case - and there are 453.6 grams in a pound - a pound of fat MUST have 4082 calories. Granted that 1 lb of fat isn’t even really 1 lb of pure fat! In fact, about 1/6 of a pound of fat is actually water! So TECHNICALLY the fat part of that 1 lb. of pure fat would be 3400 calories to burn - plus the excess water.

And about this calorie is a calorie BS. Really? Do some of you really think that 2000 calories of chocolate = 2000 calories of fruits and veggies? Would someone who is trying to lose weight and eating 2000 calories a day of sugar have the same results of someone eating 2000 calories a day of veggies? Of course not! Our bodies react differently to different foods - regardless of their calorie intake.

I should be eating around 2,200 calories a day for my size (5’11 - 250 lb.) if I wanted to lose 2 lb. per week. Yet I have continually ate around 1,300 - 1,600 calories per day - many days eating more because I felt I needed to to have energy (mind playing tricks).

I have been eating very clean. Hardly any grain, mostly beans, lentils, fresh veggies, seeds, the occasional vega or genuine health shake - even the occasional beef burger &/or pizza slice (I added that in to show I am not vegan- more-so plant based). Well since I’ve stopped counting calories - I’ve not noticed my weight continuing to drop, while not worrying about calorie counting. I understand what is good food, what is bad food (shouldn’t even be considered food at all), and I have also discovered portion control. I’ve also taught myself to drink 24oz of lemon water when I feel hungry and wait - just to see if it was hunger, or I was bored. Most of the time I still eat, but not as much b/c the water is filling too.

Many people on this site is accurate with their calorie counting anyway. I weigh and measure my food and I believe I am still off by 20% or more at times with certain foods.

Lastly, I’ll touch on protein. This has to be one of the hardest myths to crack - YOU DON’T NEED 1-2 Grams of protein to build/maintain muscle! I don’t care what Arnold told you! He was on steroids so eating ANY amount of protein would have had a much greater affect on him than anyone else eating less or the same protein as him.

According to the Institute of Medicine, the average healthy adult requires 0.36 g of protein per pound of body weight per day. So for example, if you weigh 150 lb.., you would need 54 g of protein a day. In food terms, that would equal a 4 oz. piece of chicken, 6 oz. cup of Greek yogurt and a half-cup of skim milk.

Athletes and people over the age of 60 might benefit from increasing the recommended amount of protein in their diets to support muscle growth and prevent muscle loss, respectively. The recommended amount of protein for strength and endurance athletes ranges from 0.5 to 0.8 g of protein per pound. Older adults may benefit from increasing the amount of protein in their diets to 0.5 g of protein per pound per day. That is a far cry from 1-2 g everyone is saying on here. I have gone with lower protein, I’ve noticed muscle size increase and strength too. Any of the excess protein you eat is excreted out. So don’t worry if you’re under a little!

Bottom line, do what works for you at this moment, but make sure you have an exit strategy or a sustainable method. I know some people on here have lost over 100 lb. and track calories like it was second nature - but I believe they don’t need to anymore. They tracked until they know what acceptable amounts are, what clean foods are, and what portion control is. If you see the scale go up, then you know to eat cleaner - more greens & veggies. Remove the processed foods (they are horrible for you anyway).

For those that continue to count calories - it’s not a perfect method (none are), but it should at the very least teach portion control.

Also - Probably the most important thing - It’s not how many calories, it’s what the body can do with it! Choose foods rich in nutrients - not low in nutrients and rich in calories! I will say that calories are a good thing to count if you are not doing anything other than counting and measuring weight.

I’ll leave the scale and not measuring your body for another rant ;) & I will still be on here until my goal is reached! (like calorie counting - seeing all of your success stories is real motivating ;) ).

Quote :Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

I think that the biggest tool for weight loss at least for me is portion control. Logging helps me stay aware of what I put into my mouth, but the scale and measuring cups are my best friend. Seems this is working for you too! I agree that there is a measuring error, and will always be with different textures, food shapes, user error, ect.
  • greasygriddle
    greasygriddle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    i thought this was gonna get good...
    :devil:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    While reading this wall of text I read "Lastly "and got my hopes up, thinking that the wall of text was over.

Well, I was lied to. You went on and on and on. How can I respect your words when You don't finish talking soon after saying "lastly"?

Lastly, if counting calories don't work for you. Thats fine. Many people in the past, present and future have lost weight without counting calories. MFP's counting calories is just another way of doing it and I (along with many others like this method.

I bid you good luck sir. Take care :)

Almost spewed coffee. You should warn me before you're going to be funny.

I do agree with OP on one thing for sure, though. Since I stopped thinking of processed foods like snack cakes as 'food' (as in something I'll eat), life has been much better and my weight loss much more consistent. But I can and have gained weight or not lost while avoiding those un-foods entirely, which is why I still count calories.

And getting enough protein isn't my worry, either. I need to make sure to get enough fat, though, or I'll end up binging on steak and onions and butter.

Agree with this! I was an obese vegetarian and on my vegan day here I took in about 2500kcals. Love my fat bring on the oil and butter!
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I read the first paragraph and then it all went into the Charlie Brown adult speak 'wha wha wha wha wha..."