180+ pounds down with PCOS :)

Options

Replies

• debcraig73
    Options
    Good JOB !! I too have PCOS (they think) -I was wondering- since you have lost the weight has the pcos go away? or is that something that will always be once you have it ? You look great btw ! Keep up the good work !! :happy:
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Good JOB !! I too have PCOS (they think) -I was wondering- since you have lost the weight has the pcos go away? or is that something that will always be once you have it ? You look great btw ! Keep up the good work !! :happy:

I had blood tests done a couple of years ago and they said my hormone levels were so good you might as well say I dont have PCOS anymore....but i still have some symptoms. Still have the hair issue and my cycle can still be a raging b*tch lol...but before i lost anyweight my cycle was about every 7 months now its every 28-30 days so its vastly improved :)
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Amazing work!
    I'd like to point out that she eats regular carbs every day and appx 2k a day.
    Awesome!

Actually, I'd guess she is moving toward maintenance and trying to up her calories right now (OP could illuminate this more), but if you look past February (at all) you will see she averaged 1200 across the week and occasionally ate back exercise (mostly only partially). She also, if I'm not mistaken, has mentioned in other threads that she has PCOS and does NOT have insulin resistance, so carbs would not be as much of a concern for her, but would remain a significant obstacle for women with PCOS and IR.
  • kazzsjourney
    Options
    Amazing work!
    Awesome!

Actually, I'd guess she is moving toward maintenance and trying to up her calories right now (OP could illuminate this more), but if you look past February (at all) you will see she averaged 1200 across the week and occasionally ate back exercise (mostly only partially). She also, if I'm not mistaken, has mentioned in other threads that she has PCOS and does NOT have insulin resistance, so carbs would not be as much of a concern for her, but would remain a significant obstacle for women with PCOS and IR.

Actually I deleted "meal names" in the diary recently so going back early february and earlier while it might look like 1200 cals its actually missing a meal so is higher then that...around that time I was eating 1600-1800 cals dependent on whether I exercised that day or not. I am most certainly not in maintenance at this point lol and actually ate around 1800 calories for the majority of my loss. Also it was slightly lower in that time period as I had a broken wrist and my exercise had significantly dropped off...but I was averaging at least 1600 most days in that period.
  • nataliescalories
    Options
    Amazing work!
    Awesome!

Actually I deleted "meal names" in the diary recently so going back early february and earlier while it might look like 1200 cals its actually missing a meal so is higher then that...around that time I was eating 1600-1800 cals dependent on whether I exercised that day or not. I am most certainly not in maintenance at this point lol and actually ate around 1800 calories for the majority of my loss. Also it was slightly lower in that time period as I had a broken wrist and my exercise had significantly dropped off...but I was averaging at least 1600 most days in that period.

I've changed meal names a few times, but it has never deleted the meals; it just slotted them into different categories (even when the number of categories changed), so I'm not sure how that would have changed the representation of your daily intake. Either way, you've done great!

Edit typo
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Amazing work!
    Awesome!

Technically most women can slowly up carbs over the course of a year to become more efficient at processing them, even with PCOS.
    A good lifting routine and patience can yield great results.
    Carbs are not the enemy.
    Bad dieting is the enemy and the answer is learning how and when to eat.
  • kazzsjourney
    Options
    Amazing work!
    Awesome!

I've changed meal names a few times, but it has never deleted the meals; it just slotted them into different categories (even when the number of categories changed), so I'm not sure how that would have changed the representation of your daily intake. Either way, you've done great!

Edit typo

I changed them and removed one of my snacks. If you had looked you would notice there is not two snacks but simply one labelled "snacks" I omitted that in error from my response. But...it doesnt matter....bottom line i ate 1600-1800 calories.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! You have accomplished so much, congratulations!!
  • saraklaman
    Options
    Thank you SOO SOO much for posting your pictures!!!! I have about 150 pounds to lose and I often feel very overwhelmed that I will never lose it or that it will take me forever. I am having fun with this site and logging everything i eat. I started 3 days ago and I have already lost 5 pounds so I am feeling good! Please feel free to add me :)
  • knitwit704
    knitwit704 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    WOW!
  • nataliescalories
    Options
    Amazing work!
    Awesome!

Technically most women can slowly up carbs over the course of a year to become more efficient at processing them, even with PCOS.
    Carbs are not the enemy.

I'll try to be really clear here because I think you missed something I stated: insulin resistance is a completely different bag of worms. Women with insulin resistance need to monitor carb intake and it does greatly impact the PCOS struggle. And really, you're going to say people with insulin disorders can just work on upping carbs--that that's a good option? Might ye have any, any, support at all for that, because it just goes against pretty much every piece of information I've ever read on IR, pre-diabetes, and diabetes (you might be reading incorrectly if over the course of that year the patients lost weight--which will improve hormone and insulin levels and this is not equal to a mere change in carbs over a year). Furthermore, for those suffering with these disorders (such as myself) yes carbs (primarily processed carbs and sugar) are an "enemy" (that word truly trivializes the dynamic of liver function and the endocrine system) in the sense that the glycemic load can cause a range of problems from hormone disruption to diabetic shock. You wouldn't tell a person with limited kidney function to up their protein intake against doctor's orders; you have to be aware that insulin-related disorders require significant dietary changes along the same lines. Women without IR and with PCOS, like the OP, are a different story altogether.
  • brilynn79
    brilynn79 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    AMAZING!!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You rock.
  • lostsouls65
    lostsouls65 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Amazing weight loss, well done you! I hope one day I can follow your success!
  • ssyer
    ssyer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Fantastic, you are an inspiration to all of us trying to lose weight.i know how you feel I have lost nearly 70 pounds with weight watchers but its no longer working so here I am now counting calories this is a brill site and your right when people see how much you have lost for all those people whom think it cannot be done you and others that have cracked the hard part it proved it can be done.

You know what I say the secret is to stick at it, even when it's not going well and don't give up, I'm having a bit of a bad time at the moment, but I think mine is something to do with menopause and tablets and water retention.hopefully with the support on here ill get there in the end.

Well done keep up the good work.
  • mizchubby69
    Options
    You are inspiring . I have pcos and insulin resistance , you are proof it can be done and that helps:) thanks for sharing
  • alexandraleaden
    Options
    Amazing work!
    Awesome!

Carbs are not the enemy.

I'll try to be really clear here because I think you missed something I stated: insulin resistance is a completely different bag of worms. Women with insulin resistance need to monitor carb intake and it does greatly impact the PCOS struggle. And really, you're going to say people with insulin disorders can just work on upping carbs--that that's a good option? Might ye have any, any, support at all for that, because it just goes against pretty much every piece of information I've ever read on IR, pre-diabetes, and diabetes (you might be reading incorrectly if over the course of that year the patients lost weight--which will improve hormone and insulin levels and this is not equal to a mere change in carbs over a year). Furthermore, for those suffering with these disorders (such as myself) yes carbs (primarily processed carbs and sugar) are an "enemy" (that word truly trivializes the dynamic of liver function and the endocrine system) in the sense that the glycemic load can cause a range of problems from hormone disruption to diabetic shock. You wouldn't tell a person with limited kidney function to up their protein intake against doctor's orders; you have to be aware that insulin-related disorders require significant dietary changes along the same lines. Women without IR and with PCOS, like the OP, are a different story altogether.

Natalie - lets get back to her amazing weight loss - congrats!!!
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing ...You are an inspiration. !
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You always amaze me my Friend. :flowerforyou:
    I want to thank you for remaining on MFP to inspire and motivate all of us. :smile:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Amazing work!
    Awesome!

Carbs are not the enemy.

Natalie - lets get back to her amazing weight loss - congrats!!!

^^This! Congrats, OP! Color me impressed!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!