Question for runners. Carrying your keys, etc.

Options

Replies

• RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I dont take my phone when I run. I cant stand carrying stuff around like a pack mule. And when I used to run with music, I bought the smalled MP3 player possible.

If I have to take my key, I loop it through my shoelace and tie it on my foot. Have done this a bazillion times and during races even and (knock on wood) never had an issue!

Edit: I have a ROADID band on my running shoes. It has all my info in case something happens to me so no need for an ID.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Spi Belt
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have a running fanny pack that I use. I love it. It can hold my blackberry (if i have to carry it), keys, and gel packs for long runs. You can laos get water bottles with handels that have pockets. Head to your local runing store and see what they have to offer.
  • TigressPat
    Options
    some of my exercise tops have special pockets in the back, those are great for summer. In the winter anything with zippered pockets.
    Conversely, I often tuck my phone into my bra and put my key on a lanyard or tied to the drawstring of pants/shorts if I have no pockets whatsoever!
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Usually someone is home when i run so either ibdon't lock the door or hide the key. Need an extra that I can slip in my zipper pocket. I carry my phone in one hand (tunes & Runkeeper app) and my inhaler (stupid asthma) in the other.
  • cep06e
    cep06e Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use an arm band for phone, which you can stuff your ID/Cash in.

And I clip my keyring to the strap on my sports bra with a small carabiner and tuck the keys inside (like right near my collarbone) so they don't jingle around. Since I have to carry around a bunch of keys (I have three different keys to get into my building) it's more practical than a tiny little pocket on my running pants.
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Key - tie it to my shoe and slip it between the laces and the tongue
    ID and phone - CargoBoob (trademark pending) it. ID in bra on one side boob, phone in bra on the other side boob. That way its snug and secure and I'll know if it's falling out.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have my own little system. I leave the garage door unlocked and use the remote keypad to get into the garage to get into the house. I was carrying my phone in my hand but I'm going to get an armband once I start going outside again.
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    ID and phone - CargoBoob (trademark pending) it. ID in bra on one side boob, phone in bra on the other side boob. That way its snug and secure and I'll know if it's falling out.

Guys may have issues using that system.... :laugh:
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I run at work and I leave my keys in my car. We do have armed guards who can use deadly force watching, so it is pretty safe. I always take my phone and ID in my bra... yuck right?
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    For now, my gym locker. Once I am able to get outside I will leave those things safe in my home because my dogs are a great alarm system. I have a water bottle made for easy carrying and just switch hands from fime to time. Phone goes in an armband ordered off Amazon. Do not cqrry id but if I did it would go with phone in arm band
  • dmkoenig
    dmkoenig Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    A cheap key ring with the curly phone cord band fits comfortably around your wrist. I can loosely cradle the keys in my hand to prevent they keys from jiggling and not have to worry about dropping them while I'm running.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    As previously mentioned, Spi-belt.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I have an armband for my phone (which I also use for music and GPS while running), and can fit a key in with it (and ID if need be, although I don't usually bring that).

If you're going to get a fanny pack type of thing definitely try it out in a store or read reviews first. I bought one and it bounces so much, it drove me crazy! So I don't use that anymore.

I've also been thinking about getting one of the waterbottles with handles though for my long runs - those usually come with a nice pocket, and would be easier to hold than just a plain water bottle.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    How do you carry your keys, ID, phone, etc when you run? I hate just carrying it in my pockets because I'm scared of losing them! What do you use?

I only carry my phone and keys and I just hold one in each hand.... lol. If it's in something snug to my body, I don't want it gettin sweaty and if it's on an outer layer, it drives me nuts bouncing - lol. I never take a debit card or anything so that I can't buy anything - lol - you know like a BIG MAC! HAHA
    Don't worry, it'll just get taken by warlords.
    http://www.hulu.com/watch/276473
  • emmgetsfit
    emmgetsfit Posts: 203 Member
    Options

Guys may have issues using that system.... :laugh:

OP is a girl - I took a calculated risk. That and no one is stopping you from wearing a sports bra :wink: :laugh:
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    For long runs I bring a hand held 10 oz water bottle. The water bottle has a small zipper pocket on it.

Otherwise just go with the pockets as well
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I hold my phone in my hand, it's not as bad as it sounds. Then I can easily and quickly glance down to check my speed and distance. You can also buy a velcro arm strap that your phone will fit into. Take your house key off of your key ring and carry JUST that key in your pocket. You're not going to notice one single key in your pocket.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I use an armband for the phone, which I listen to music on. I loop my key onto my HRM wrist srap
    That's me set to go! X
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have an arm band that I put my key/ID in when I'm running short distances (less than 6 miles). For longer distances, I have a water belt with a small pocket that I put my gu, key, ID inside. of