Question for runners. Carrying your keys, etc.

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I also use an arm band for my phone that I can also tuck my house key into. If you're going somewhere with your car, just take your key or keyfob and leave the rest in your glovebox or console. I've also got a zipped pocked in the back of my running pants and an inner hidden pocket in one of my light weight jackets.

Was browsing the "exercise" area in WalMart this weekend and noticed they have a bunch of gadgets you can use to keep your stuff in when you're running/walking. One was kind of like a fanny pack, one was an armband and one would go on your wrist or ankle.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    Phone I keep on me in either a pocket or hand. Keys I sometimes take with me if they won't jingle around, otherwise I put a spare in a really good hiding place by the front door.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Generally things go in my sports bra. Which results in sometimes sweaty things. But not lost things! I think I need a running belt! LOL.
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    WOW thanks for all the replies!
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I dont. every now and then I will throw my ID in my little side zipper pocket along with my insurance card when im running along side the road (just in case). But mostly I just run on walking paths throughout the area. I just use a shuffle i clip to my shorts/pants.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    usually in zippered pockets, though in the summer when I wear as little as I can I will sometimes tie my house key to my shoe laces and stick my phone in the built in front pouch of one of my running tops (it's a cycling tank that I use for several sports) I just saw yesterday that road ID has a pouch that you can buy to attach to your shoe as well, that's kind of neat but I think anything more than my key in there would annoy me.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    sweatshirt with zippered pockets. love it!
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Phone goes in a zippered pocket. I tend to tie my keys to the strings on my shorts or warm up pants. This also lets people know when I'm running up on them.
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Only thing I carry is my phone on an arm band. The shirts I wear even have a loop in the back to route my headphones through to keep them form "bouncing". I can not have anything swinging or bouncing around in my pockets. I usually run from home anyway so I do not have keys, ATM card, etc.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Good site with different sizes

http://www.spibelt.com/

I use one of these for my phone/music (have to admit I think all you folks out running without your phone are really playing russian roulette!) The Nike shorts I wear also have a small zippered pocket in the back and that's typically where I put my keys. I used to tie my house key on my shoes though like others have mentioned before I got the stuff I run in now.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    How do you carry your keys, ID, phone, etc when you run? I hate just carrying it in my pockets because I'm scared of losing them! What do you use?

I carry my doorkey on a baby's diaper/nappy pin and pin it inside the pocket of my bottoms or top. I have ID that is laminated and the size of a small business card and zip that up in my pocket too.

I do not take my phone out with me but if I did I would put it into an armband.

Regarding pockets, I only ever purchase running gear that has zipped pockets, that way the stuff should be safe.
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    get an armband for your phone and as far as car key (take it off your ring), unlace one of the laces from your shoe (the first hole) thread your key through it and then re-lace your shoe! Works perfectly.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    take the one key you need and tie it into your shoe laces. For example, if you're driving to the park to run. Take the car key (or fob) off of the key ring and unlace one of your shoes a bit, slide the key on, and relace, then tie as you normally would. I do not run with a phone unless I am headed out for a long run over 10 miles.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    get an armband for your phone and as far as car key (take it off your ring), unlace one of the laces from your shoe (the first hole) thread your key through it and then re-lace your shoe! Works perfectly.

i think we posted the same answer at the same time. :)
  • cedder1
    cedder1 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I think you (we) are right!! Ha!
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I do put my keys in my pockets and have never had a problem with that. I don't carry a phone and have an armband for my iPod. Also I have a runner ID on my shoe, so I don't need ID. If I don't have pockets, I have been known to tuck my keys in the front of my bra, but sometimes that rubs and hurts. I try and make sure I have pockets. :tongue:
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I have a SPIBelt. If you happen to have an Academy Sports store near you, you can get one for about $12. They hold a ton of items and don't bounce or slip while running. If you don't have an Academy near you, you can order online. I have recommended them to a ton of people and they have been happy with them also.
  • LaraeTX
    Options
    I picked up a Spibelt at the expo before my last half marathon. It has been great.

http://www.spibelt.com/

It stretches a lot, so I can carry just keys and ID, or I can stuff my mp3 player, phone, goo, etc in there if I really want to.

I just suggested them also...they are a life saver!
  • LaraeTX
    Options
    I also suggest looking into the ROAD ID, that way you don't have to carry your ID with you, it has your information on it along with an emergency contact.
  • pbrant_13
    Options
    The only thing I carry is the locker key on a wrist bungee. Everything else in the locker. It's me time.:tongue: