Burpees - WTH

Options
I am starting more strength training. Today I focus on the lower half of my body. I came across this workout on my cable channel. One of the exercises was Burpees, what h@ll is this. I really felt the burn and it hurt like heck. I will do them again.

Honestly, I have never heard of them or done them.

Is there any particular exercise that you have a love/hate relationship?

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I love burpees. I can't stand lunges or kettlebell kegels.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I love burpees. I can't stand lunges or kettlebell kegels.

What the heck are Kettlebell Kegels??
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with burpees! I hate doing them but love the feeling after I'm done and what they do to my body. Currently doing 100 burpees a day for the month of February if you'd like to join me :)
  • akaMrsmojo
    Options
    I have a love/hate relationship with burpees! I hate doing them but love the feeling after I'm done and what they do to my body. Currently doing 100 burpees a day for the month of February if you'd like to join me :)

If I can walk in the morning, I will take you up on that. I did 40 today, so 60 more does not sound impossible.
  • Routerninja
    Options
    Burpees and Squats were the 2 most hated things for me at Crossfit. I'd rather do 10 sets of deadlifts than 20 burpees.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options

If I can walk in the morning, I will take you up on that. I did 40 today, so 60 more does not sound impossible.

Def not impossible and you can break it up throughout the day to make it easier. Me...I pound them out between dinner and nightime relaxation time. I don't allow myself to get comfy on the couch until they are done.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I love burpees. I always do them with a push-up. And if I'm feeling particularly masochistic, I add in a pull-up or box jump as well.
  • Reneeisfat
    Reneeisfat Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Ummmm...what's a burpee?
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I love burpees! I like mixing up what kind I do. W/ or w/out push-up add in a renegade row or a gorilla plank up down. I think I might see how many I can do in feb I like that idea!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I despise burpees! I hate any exercise where my head is upside down or nearly upside down (like mountain climbers, downward dog position, etc.). Makes my nose run.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    Ummmm...what's a burpee?

This move:

marines_burpee.jpg
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Burpees are torture if you ever do a Spartan race!
  • Gatus98
    Gatus98 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Burpees are an extremely effective excercise. They work the entire body, and strengthen the core. I hate them. Lol. But I will continue to do them when Jillian Michaels says I have to. Pelvic thrusts and plank jacks are also great/horrible moves to incorporate into your workout.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Ummmm...what's a burpee?

This move:

marines_burpee.jpg

I've been doing them wrong, lol. I go from standing to push up position without the squat in the middle.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I didn't hate burpess till I slipped on a down and landed on my face. Now they are right up there with glute ham raises for me.
  • akaMrsmojo
    Options
    Planks have always been the worst and most painful. But these Burpees are going to give them a run for their money. I think I will try a 100 a day and see what happens. Who the heck named them burpees, just weird.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Burpees are named after a US Armed Service physiologist who implemented them as a test of physical fitness in the 30s/
  • nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I destroy BurPees!! Love em!
    Great workout for the whole body and its a high intensity workout for killing body fat and cardio!!
    There are also other ways to intensify this workout!!

Also look into crossfit. Burpees playa part in this.
  • mfoy94
    mfoy94 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I hate burpees, too fast and uncontrolled. Me doing a burpee is just asking for me to get hurt.
  • keyz1508
    keyz1508 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't care for burpees but they do wrk out the whole body so they are worth it. I hate lunge switch jumps. Lunge's are hard enough but adding a jump as you switch really makes you feel the burn!