Any chubbies at your gym?

Options

Replies

• crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    ummmmmmmm.hello!!!!!!!! we all have to start somewhere!!! when i started going to the gym... i was clearly over 200 lbs and a size 18. i am now aprox 187 lbs and a size 8. just goes to show you what the gym can actually do!!:smile:
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I work out at the YMCA, and we get all kinds. There are the very old. There are (many) blue-tattooed guys who are obviously straight out of prison. There are fat folks and skinny folks. There are guys who are impressively built, and then, there is me.
    I am sure all gyms have such a cross section of people. Well, perhaps not quite as broad a one as the Y. . .
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I'm still around 50 over weight. First few times I was self conscious (I started going 70lbs ago) I can honestly say it was all in my head though and I've had nothing but support and encouragement the whole way.

Just take the plunge.. Every time gets easier. Everyone will soon see you work hard and have every right to be there just like them.. And if they don't... Well they are not the kind of people you should be concerning yourself with.

As someone who has struggled massively with social anxiety I really understand but it does get easier! Do you have someone who would be willing to go with you at first? I always always wear headphones!

Zara
  • Nerdinista
    Nerdinista Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I put my headphones on and pretend no one can see me. I end up shaking it like Beyonce on the treadmill and probably making an *kitten* out of myself, but whatever, I'm having fun :drinker:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Yes, especially since it's still a relatively new year. We have a few really obese people working on that new year resolution. When I see them, all I think is "good for you!"

Really, there are all body types in there, from the above to people who are very fit from coming to the gym for a long time.

I need to get my butt back in there (and the rest of me, too).
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I'll just say this, whenever I see someone quite overweight at the gym (or track or whatever) I have a lot of respect for them, provided they keep coming. Cuz I know it's harder for them to get there & do what they're doing than it is for me. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels that way either.
  • caribear1984
    Options
    "You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they did."
    -Eleanor Roosevelt
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    The people at the gym who are fit and trim, used to be chubby too. That's why you go to the gym, to get to, and maintain being "fit and trim".
  • Bigpelly8
    Bigpelly8 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Iwas 400 plus when I walked in. Finally, just had to nut up and do it! Turns out, nobody was looking at the fat kid so it was all for nothing!
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 53 and have about 70 pounds to go to my goal weight. I pretty much never let what people think of me limit what I do ...
  • Christizzzle
    Christizzzle Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I actually find that you have a lot of support when you are a chubby at the gym. People are willing to help you out and are pretty pleasant towards you. I think they see it as, yes, you admit that you need to work on yourself, which we all do, and at least you aren't walking out of a McDonalds or sitting on your couch.
  • NChiz
    NChiz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Everyone's there for the same reason- (we hope)- just walk on in and start with the machines you know (treadmill or bike)- if you're unsure of other machines and are afraid to ask- watch others use them and learn. After a while you may feel comfortable to use the others or ask for assitance.

I'm at Planet Fitness and out of all of the gyms I've belonged to in the past- this is by far the most diverse in size and age! It's a fabulous atmosphere.

Good luck! You deserve to feel your best and not feel ashamed or scared.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Just go and do it. You ever heard the saying "Do something every day that scares you"? You'd be amazed at the adrenaline rush and the pride you feel after you go and do something you've been too scared or intimidated to do - and usually you'll find out it's not nearly as bad as you made it out to be. Still, what's worse - paying for a membership and cowering because you're too scared of the 'maybe's to use it and wasting your time, or going in there, getting snickered at by a 14 year old, but coming out knowing you conquered a fear and did something you know damn well you should have been doing a long time ago?

Just get in there. The water's fine.
  • missjanetleigh
    missjanetleigh Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If people are going to judge you they will so either in the gym or anywhere in public. At least your there to work out and make your life better, not to impress them or make them uncomfortable because your bigger than them.

I was telling some girls about my Gym, they asked what time do the fat people go? I wanna go then. Oh my????? WTH

Go and don't worry about it is what I say :)
  • Aeriesified
    Aeriesified Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same anxieties. I was afraid of some nightmarish moment where all of these fit people would stop what they were doing and just turn and stare as the fat girl walked by. Ridiculous, right? Because they really couldn't give a flying you-know-what. I read something someone here said a little while back... "What makes you so special that they'd even care?"

Sounds rude, but it really isn't meant to be. And it makes sense.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    When I joined the gym at the beginning of August, I felt self-conscious about being there. I'm 51 and had 165 lbs to lose. After a few weeks of going faithfully, but hoping nobody noticed me, I had an epiphany one day. I was slogging away on the treadmill when I looked out at all the really buff young guys, who could be my sons, and just had the feeling of "I'm awesome for being here when I could be sitting on the couch eating crap instead". And I never looked back. I am in the gym four days per week. A couple of times a buff young guy has given me a high 5 while I was working out. Yesterday a cute young girl told me I'm "good". Hold your head up and be proud that you are doing the right thing. If you are just paying attention to taking care of yourself you won't even notice if there is anybody looking down on you.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Im a chubby at my gym ...... so what ????

My $$$ is as good as anyone else's ...... JUST DO IT !
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    When we did there were plenty of ppl who were trying to get in shape and plenty more staying in shape or better. I run mostly and last year I would see this heavy set woman on the trail quite often with her HR moniter arms elevated going for a power walk. And i would think good for her for trying to do something different. I started at about 280 down to around 180-190 now so I was one of those porkers or chubbies at the gym not anymore glad to say. But I will say ive seen ppl spend more time looking for a tv channel to watch then time on the treadmill.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    Yup, me, and lots of other people that keep going back and get less chubby over time. Everyone has to start somewhere. :-)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    There's just way too many people who care about what people think e.g. women who won't workout with the free weights because "everyone will stare at them" when the reality is, you're really not that important and no one really cares who you are, what you're doing, or how you look. People pay a gym membership to workout, not people watch. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the reality.

That said OP, get yourself an iPod, strap it on, get to the gym and do YOUR thing. Everyone else there is irrelevant.