Any chubbies at your gym?

Options

Replies

• ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yep- me.. As for the other members I don't really look at their shapes... I put on my headphones and worry about me and what I need to do.
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just go. If anyone looks at you, stare back, and don't blink. They'll think you're crazy and will leave you alone.

This is handy advice for so many life situations. :smile:
  • mapnerd2005
    Options
    Just go. Who cares that you're not in the best shape. Everyone has to start somewhere. I remember the first time I went to the gym at 303 pounds, yep, I was intimidated, but I worked my way up, and I noticed after a while, nobody is paying attention to me anyway. I look around at others to set goals for myself. But now I go at 200 and I don't give a flying flip about what others think of me. I live in one of the "fittest" cities in the country, where most girls are 25 year old stick figures, and I'm the biggest girl in my Zumba class, but I put in just as much effort as them and could probably run circles around many of them. In the weight room, yep, biggest girl in there too, but I bench press more than most of the men.

And honestly, most of the time I'm too focused on what I'm doing and trying to keep my sweat from forming a puddle on the floor to care about what anyone else is doing. The people who are regulars and go all the time won't care, and the people who might are the ones who pull a muscle showing off and never show up again.
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I used to think the same thing, but then my fiance told me that everyone else isn't there to gawk at you, they are there to work out. And if they do happen to look at, they are probably saying to themselves, good on you to realize and issue and get to the gym. They are more likely even to help you out if you have an issue with the equipment. Think of it as a MFP site at the gym; you are all there for the same goal, to become a healthier person.

After he told me this, I now go to the gym and realize I think the same way. I saw a very heavy set woman at the gym, and I thought to myself, good on her for taking that first step in the right direction!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, I don't go to the gym.
  • mhk0719
    mhk0719 Posts: 255
    Options
    I am chubby! I really don't pay any attention to what's around me at the gym. :smile:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    OK -- I have about 40 pounds to lose. I used to work out, and have just signed up for a gym membership. I cannot get myself to go in, however, in spite of being fairly used to using equipment, because I feel too porky to be there. Also, I am 48. Everyone there seems to be about 30 and very trim......................any suggestions on how to get my nerve up and get in there??? I feel like I have to lose about 20 pounds first, and meanwhile my membership isn't being used. Dorky I know, but I am kind of shy and don't have a great body image at this time.

They are trim because they go to the gym.

Get in there, the pounds will drop off!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I work out at a college gym since I am on staff at the college. I am in my late 30's and I admit sometimes being around the college age kids makes me self conscious. But really..no one else cares.

I actually have the college kids ask me about my workout!

Now..I will stare at somone and give them the evil eye...skinny or chubby if they display bad gym etiquette(i.e. talking on their cell phone will exercising which I just think is in bad taste)...not cleaning their sweat off..etc.

I actually really admire those that are working out hard...regardless of size. One of my best friends is overweight...but she stepped out of her comfort zone and is working hard. I admire her. It takes guts and courage.
  • AvantGardener
    AvantGardener Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Ha, isn't it a grand irony feeling like you have to lose weight just to be able to go to the gym? Honestly, this was one of my weird issues when I first started as well, and I began by going to the gym later in the evening or early in the morning when it wasn't at all busy. That quickly brought up my comfort level to where I grew to be fine with going to the gym during the peak hours when it was jam packed. (In fairness, I also had no real experience at a gym before--so I wasn't at all comfortable using the machines... so you've got a leg up).

I think you'll also find that virtually no one is paying attention to you because they're so lost 'in the zone.' Your own comfort level will definitely increase rapidly. These days, I don't mind at all showing up mid-afternoon, when the place is packed with young students, and working my *kitten* off for an hour until I come out looking like a hot, sweaty mess. No one pays any attention to chubby ol' me, and I feel great.

Good luck!

Michael
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    No idea, tbh. I don't really pay attention to who else is there.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Everyone is there because they have a goal, and everyone started somewhere (generally a lot further back from where they are, now!) No one should be devoting too much time to how they feel about how you look, etc. With the exception of a few, most of us are in a gym to do US. Go in. Do your thing. You won't regret it. And soon you won't feel "too chubby" to be there.

I mean, the point of a gym is to get into shape. Even the guys with ginormous muscles probably didn't have those the first day they walked through the doors.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Honey, don't sweat it. Just get in there and do your thing. Before you know it, you'll be the trim one intimidating all the newbies. Everyone starts somewhere including those at the gym who are now trim. YOU are who the gym is for. You pay the same fee as everyone else. Go get your money's worth.

There are all shapes and sizes at my gym. I'm not the worst or the best of them and nor shall you be. I'm 5'0", female, 42 yrs old, 30-40 pounds overweight (which is plenty on a 5' frame) and as of last week, I play in the weight room with the big boys. Intimidating? sure it was, but they are actually very accommodating and helpful.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes. and noone gives a damn like another poster said, you are there!! thats the main thing!!! All shapes, ages and sizes are at my gym I was a chubbie once too. If you go it shows your determination and thats a huge step, and once you start going it does give you motivation to keep working at your goal ...and from my personal view, I don't care whos at the gym , I'm there in my workout zone and don't really care about whats going on around me
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I was about 30 lbs overweight and 63 yearsold when I joined the gym. I didn't worry about how I looked when I started because I was determined to lose weight and look better. I've been going for over a year ... I lost the 30 lbs., plus a few more. Some of the regulars that have seen my progress have complimented me on what I have accomplished ... these are guys that are 30 - 40 years younger than me and very fit.

I guess the moral of my story is, "Just do it!".
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Wow - glad the title of this post wasn't insulting in the least :grumble:

And to answer your question - yes, there's plenty of us chubbies and fatties bouncing around at the gym. There's always going to be trim, fit people that live there, and the rest of us who are trying to get in shape, huffing and puffing and staring perplexed at the equipment because we have no clue how to use it but trying to look like a boss that's adjusting the resistance while secretly reading the instructions. Get over it and just go.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I work out at a college gym since I am on staff at the college. I am in my late 30's and I admit sometimes being around the college age kids makes me self conscious. But really..no one else cares.

I actually have the college kids ask me about my workout!

They probably want to know what they need to do to look like you!!!!
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I was 305 and 47 when I went in- I dreaded to shower. Barely did 5 minutes on the elliptical before dieing and I thought everyone was pointing and laughing at me.

Fast forward 2 years- I am a gym rat. Lift 5 times per week and I know everyone. When new people come in- especially overweight ones- I have to say I now know the regulars dont even notice you. If you stick it out for a couple of months people will notice and then the encouragement will start.

So basically- no one notices you. Even in the locker room I never hear anyone ever talk about new people re: of weight.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Just go. If anyone looks at you, stare back, and don't blink. They'll think you're crazy and will leave you alone.

This is handy advice for so many life situations. :smile:

It really works. See ? ... :indifferent:
  • nikki2001
    nikki2001 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Yes me! Lol I have been going the past 4 weeks at first it was akward, but really no one is paying attention to you, we are all there to get fit or stay in fit, just go it gets better with time :smile:
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    All gyms have all sorts of people, you are self concious so you are noticing people you percieve as different than you.
    Relax and enjoy.