Tips to curb your hunger and help your metabolism

Options
FIRST. This is the healthier way to help your metabolism. I have plenty of friends who are part of collegiate athletics who follow this routine during their "off" season.

1) Eat small meals every 2-3 hours (as needed). When you start to feel hungry, eat another small, healthy snack. Every body is different. Proportions will be different. I'm a short, 4'1"" female, so I tend to eat about 100-150 calories each time. Note: I only count the calories after I eat it. I fixate more on the nutritional values.

WHY? This helps your body digest. When eating the right kinds of foods, it'll help increase your metabolism.
NOTE: It won't be easy to go straight into this kind of routine. You'll find that once you start eating something tasty, you may not want to stop. A good rule of thumb: if you're not hungry, stop. Don't overeat.

2) Chew slowly. In other words, take your time. It takes apprx. 15 minutes of eating for your body to tell your brain it's full. But even more so, the more you chew, the easier it is to digest. Now, on a personal level, I suffer from acid reflux, so this helps a lot with that.

3) Water, water, tea, water, coffee, water, water.

4) Eat a bigger breakfast. My breakfast is usually around 170-300. Yay. Again, I don't count calories. That being sad, breakfast really IS the most important meal of the day. It kickstarts your metabolism and gives you energy to sustain your dieting routine. Personally, I stick to some grain (quinoa, brown rice) and some form of an egg.

I'm not saying I'm in perfect shape. I'm clearly on here for a reason. But these are things I always knew, just never persevered to maintain. I've been doing this for the last 3 days, and I already feel terrific!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    *facepalm* :noway: No, just no.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I hope OP is a troll.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Guise I did this for 3 days because science. So science!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Meal timing and frequency does not speed up metabolism as it has no impact on Thermic Effect of Food.

Also, I seriously doubt that you (as an athlete) are eating enough based on your calorie intake and frequency. Let's say breakfast is 300 calories, and you make room for another 4 to 6 meals at 100-150 calories each, that only amounts to a paltry 700-1200 calories.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm having flashbacks to the Starvation mode is NOT a myth thread and dreaming of eating a hotdog while on the elliptical.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I do exactly none of that. OK, I drink a lot of water, tea, and coffee. Definitely not small meals, I don't eat breakfast, I don't chew slowly, etc. With eating enough calories, getting good nutrition, and exercise I was able to increase my bmr by several hundred calories over the course of a couple months though. Thanks though. I'll keep on keepin on.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    a lot of broscience here
  • runningfataway
    Options
    Damn why is everybody so snappy?

The OP is just posting some TIPS that might be of use to some and not so much for others! Thank you! :)
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    100-150 calories per meal? are you for real? I'll be wanting to eat my own arm and leg within the hour
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

The OP is just posting some TIPS that might be of use to some and not so much for others! Thank you! :)

Good point. She's been doing it for 3 whole days. In many countries they give out honorary PhD's for such research.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Yeah... None of this is true. Thanks for trying to help though.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Because no tips or tricks are necessary. Getting handed all kinds of conflicting misinformation everywhere you turn makes the process confusing, and people end up focusing on the wrong things, and ultimately crumble. It's SO MUCH EASIER to just do it right than to try and implement every 'tip' some fitness magazine writer comes up with.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    The-fail-is-strong.jpeg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    OP, I know you mean well, but this is just not true (well, the coffee part is fine)

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/820577-meal-frequency-rev-up-that-furnace-lol
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Stating something as fact is not a tip.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

Because no tips or tricks are necessary. Getting handed all kinds of conflicting misinformation everywhere you turn makes the process confusing, and people end up focusing on the wrong things, and ultimately crumble. It's SO MUCH EASIER to just do it right than to try and implement every 'tip' some fitness magazine writer comes up with.

And also (and I realise I'm new too but I've been on many forums), joining a forum is a bit like going to a business meeting. If you walk in and the first thing you do is start telling everyone else how to their jobs without even getting to know the room first, you are bound to ruffle feathers...
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    If you BELIEVE these actions will curb your hunger, then they will.
    the-secret.jpg

</s>
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    No offence OP, but I note that you started within the last 6 six days on MFP, your ticker says you have lost '0' lbs and this is only your second posting to the forum.

I think I will be sticking to my own method, which is working quite well thank you. As others have said, bulldozing into the room and trying to tell everybody that you have a better way of doing this than they do, before you have barely even taken your seat is NEVER a good look.

Chalk this down to experience, read through the forums yourself, and you will discover that it is just a simple process of less calories in than going out and move more. It is people that make it more confusing than it really is.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Because all of it is false.

It has been proven over and over that none of what OP posted is true.

I suggest you do some research on topics before believing what every tom, **** and harry on a forum tells you.
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    hahah.
    OP your 'athlete' friends are wrong and slaves to the broscience.