Tips to curb your hunger and help your metabolism

Options

Replies

• Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    100-150 calories per meal? are you for real? I'll be wanting to eat my own arm and leg within the hour

Exactly!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Damn why is everybody so snappy?

The OP is just posting some TIPS that might be of use to some and not so much for others! Thank you! :)

Because no tips or tricks are necessary. Getting handed all kinds of conflicting misinformation everywhere you turn makes the process confusing, and people end up focusing on the wrong things, and ultimately crumble. It's SO MUCH EASIER to just do it right than to try and implement every 'tip' some fitness magazine writer comes up with.

^Exactly. You'd lose your mind trying to follow every new diet tip that appears in a magazine each month.
  • jrosalynn
    Options
    Also. Get off your high horses. I'm 4'11''. I miss-typed.
    As far as the breakfast choices go: It's a choice. These are tips. Every person, every body, and every metabolism is different.

OK, so now your diary is open. Instead of spending your time giving TIPS to other MFP users, I think your time could be better spent research how eating around 800/900 calories a day SERIOUSLY affects your metabolic rate and is highly dangerous if done for any length of time.

You are certainly not helping your own metabolism, you are screwing it up and as for hunger, you need to EAT more and very soon.

:drinker:

Thank you for your concern, but I already have. I also don't care about submitting every little detail. This tool is to help me, not control me. In truth, I get about 1200-1250 calories a day. I eat every 2 or so hours, and I'm usually awake from 6:30AM-12:30AM. Though it's not the most amazing sleep schedule, or the best for my health, it's what I have to live with on my crazy academic and work schedule.
  • jrosalynn
    Options
    Every person, every body, and every metabolism is different.

Not really.

Just because you think you are special snowflake, doesn't actually mean that you are one.

I highly suggest you do some research on these methods, because mostly all of the "tips" have been proven false at one time or another on this site.

Just a small note: "proven false...on this site." If I'm correct, the reoccurring response is: "it's working for me because I think it's working." OR that I shouldn't post something as fact if it doesn't work for everyone. So, please understand my skepticism of these "falsehoods" when they're also posted by the normal human being.

Also, I'd like to apologize. I posted this topic at who-knows-when AM. These "tips" are repetitively helpful to me and numerous people that I've met, but that does not mean they are applicable or helpful for everyone. It may be a placebo effect, but I'll take it. I've never fainted or experienced any kind of "crash" due to starvation issues...probably because I eat when I'm hungry.

Unfortunately, if I had a kitchen, I'd probably be eating more interesting and dynamic foods. But for now, I'm stuck with the wonderful life of dorms, microwaves, and cafeteria foods.
  • jrosalynn
    Options
    Damn why is everybody so snappy?

The OP is just posting some TIPS that might be of use to some and not so much for others! Thank you! :)

Because no tips or tricks are necessary. Getting handed all kinds of conflicting misinformation everywhere you turn makes the process confusing, and people end up focusing on the wrong things, and ultimately crumble. It's SO MUCH EASIER to just do it right than to try and implement every 'tip' some fitness magazine writer comes up with.

^Exactly. You'd lose your mind trying to follow every new diet tip that appears in a magazine each month.

The only magazine I read is TIME. The only other closest equivalent is The Wall Street Journal. Thanks though ;)
  • Twinsmama75
    Twinsmama75 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I belong to several other forums on different subjects & I swear to God I have NEVER dealt with such rude people! I get it, you don't like what the OP wrote...so just skip it, or correct it WITH SOME SEMBLANCE OF DECENCY!.

I have questions, but do I ever want to ask them here? NO! Why? Because if you ask something that apparently everyone else here knows (which is EVERYTHING & makes me confused as to why you are here to begin with because you are apparently perfect) then everyone jumps down your throat, making you feel worse and totally goes against the whole point of support forums.

People are here because they need help, so either give help or don't, but do we really need to tear each other apart with hatred? I don't get it...maybe weightloss is only some of the problem for people here...maybe you need to figure out what the hell you're so mad about!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Is this such terrible advice? I don't understand why everyone's giving her such a hard time about it. I've been at a healthy weight my whole life and basically follow those habits.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    150-300 calories is a 'big' breakfast? In that case, my breakfasts are colossal. :laugh: 150 calories is 1/2 cup dry oats cooked in water...LOL how in holy HELL is that 'big'?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    People might be being a tad harsh but when someone pops up as a newcomer with only a couple of posts, a closed diary and suggests a very low calorie diet, it does start to ring alarm bells as to whether they are genuine.

The one thing that MFP is about is fitness - not starving yourself or encouraging disordered eating. Anyone doing any form of exercise who has done their research will know that less than 1,000 calories a day is going to mess with your body (heck, even without exercise it is far too low).

I'm sure many of the posters on here would agree that they are not trying to be mean but that their fear is that other newcomers will come on here and read what the OP has said as fact. And that is why her opinion must be challenged.
  • jrosalynn
    Options
    150-300 calories is a 'big' breakfast? In that case, my breakfasts are colossal. :laugh: 150 calories is 1/2 cup dry oats cooked in water...LOL how in holy HELL is that 'big'?

Depends on what you eat. I personally don't like oatmeal (the texture's an issue for me. I don't really know why). But a hard boiled egg, a 1/2 cup of fried rice with veges and a mug of sweetened green tea or chai usually fills me up pretty quickly.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Is this such terrible advice? I don't understand why everyone's giving her such a hard time about it. I've been at a healthy weight my whole life and basically follow those habits.

Generally because a ton of new people come on this board and preach ideas that have been proven in science. While eating breakfast and often can improve peoples decision making, it has zero impact on weight loss.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

"We conclude that increasing MF does not promote greater body weight loss under the conditions described in the present study"

And you are not a special snowflake

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Oh any why big caloric deficits are really bad for you. The OP's plan will hurt your metabolism.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    How does an athlete prepare by not eating enough? Strange.

It works for you. So you're maintaining, right?

I also used to drive around in my grandparents car without a car seat. Didn't kill me, so it's safe, right?

I know you thought you were being helpful, but it doesn't read that way... "curb your hunger" and eating less than 1200 cals a day need not be in the same thread. I eat about 1400 cals and I'd LOVE more!!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just for your information: This isn't the first time I've done this. I used to follow this routine when I was getting ready for hurdling season. Don't knock it til you've tried it (and followed through with it). There's a reason why so many athletes follow this diet plan.

Real athletes do NOT starve themselves. Every athlete I know eats a lot of food because it's fuel. It is not uncommon for athletes to consume 3000-5000+ calories a day. Professionals can eat up to 8000-12,000 calories a day. 1200 calories is barely enough to sustain a metabolic rate let alone a person to perform optimally.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    If your metabolism was just humming along, you would be netting more than 1000 calories most days......
  • jrosalynn
    Options
    How does an athlete prepare by not eating enough? Strange.

It works for you. So you're maintaining, right?

I also used to drive around in my grandparents car without a car seat. Didn't kill me, so it's safe, right?

I know you thought you were being helpful, but it doesn't read that way... "curb your hunger" and eating less than 1200 cals a day need not be in the same thread. I eat about 1400 cals and I'd LOVE more!!

Athletes eat at a different calorie count. I'm not an athlete anymore so I don't eat the quantity that I did when I was one. Eating 1400 is fine! Eating more is fine. Ahh the beauty of freedom. I eat about 1200-1250 a day (I don't like to submit everything online. It's a personal thing). When it comes down to it, I have an issue with counting calories in general. I usually count after I eat something. Judge me if you want, but I've seen too many people fall down a rabbit hole for fixating on the numbers.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    I do all this myself, except more calories, and it has worked great for me. Maybe broscience but I like all this and I don't care if you're all snappy, if it's what works for you, do it. It works for two of us, I guess (the OP and me).

I don't believe in objective science anyway. Having actually done doctoral-level research (albeit not in this field) taught me you can find a study to support nearly any viewpoint. I believe that reality is socially constructed and so I guess a socially constructed set of broscience guidelines is a great fit for me.

The thing is it, following those "rules" is not what is causing the weight loss. It is merely personal preference. It doesn't speed up metabolism or curb hunger. In fact for many people eating that way will make them constantly hungry just as you would likely get hungry eating three large meals a day without all the snacks, because of personal preference. If this approach helps a person maintain a calorie deficit they will lose weight, if it does not, they won't. It is not the frequent meals, but sticking with the deficit that brings weight loss.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    This whole topic should have fallen down the rabbit hole..
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things. Put them down. Repeat. BAM! Higher metabolism. :bigsmile:
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Meal timing and frequency does not speed up metabolism as it has no impact on Thermic Effect of Food.

Also, I seriously doubt that you (as an athlete) are eating enough based on your calorie intake and frequency. Let's say breakfast is 300 calories, and you make room for another 4 to 6 meals at 100-150 calories each, that only amounts to a paltry 700-1200 calories.

Idk if someone has already called you out or not because I haven't read all three pages but she never said she was an athlete.

What is it with people not reading things closely then calling the OP out for how wrong they are. How do you know they're wrong when you clearly didn't comprehend what you read?
  • bfitnbfab
    Options
    bump