Hi, any 40 or 50 year olds trying to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• mjsasha
    mjsasha Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi I am 47 and really giving it my best shot . Be patient and try different things that work for you. I started working out with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and I personally think I need cardio to get my body burning. Since doing that for a week and eating right, I finally lost 2 pounds. I think as we get older, it just takes a little longer to get our metabolism moving. I just ordered her new book "slim for life". Can't wait for it to get here. It talks a lot about getting our metabolism going. I will share when I start reading. Just don't give up. I wanted to because the scale wasn't moving. But thank God I didn't.
  • Susan_TL
    Susan_TL Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes, I just turned 53 and I've been at it for several months. How are you doing?
  • linda0372
    linda0372 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 years old and I have been fighting the battle all my life. 11 months ago, I signed up for the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer, as a start to losing weight. Back then I weighed (and this my heaviest) 321 lbs. Now I weigh 275 lbs. I lost 46 lbs, and still losing. The walk is a 2 day, 39.3 mile walk, and out of the 39.3 miles, I walked 29.2. Now I go to the gym 5x a week, and the motivation and moral support from my friends at work, I continue to lose the weight.

I went from a size 26 pants to a size 20 pants, and those size 20 are getting big on me. I still have a lot to lose, but I am doing it. Walking, eating right, now doing weights and soon running. No diet gimmicks, no surgeries. just my lazy butt getting off the couch and finally doing something for myself. :smile:

feel free to add me if you like.
  • keelakaz
    Options
    ME I need to lose `1 stone by the end of march , what you think ?
  • sweetmelissa50
    Options
    I am 51 years old, I have been on the Atkins diet for about a week and a half and I am already getting tired of all the meat! I have lost about 5 pounds, not sure this is the diet for me, thinking of doing weight watchers instead. Anyone having any luck with that? I would love to lose about 70 pounds but am trying to set smallers goals as not to get discouraged.:flowerforyou:
  • cgriffin1968
    Options
    Hi I'm 44 and trying to lose 80 more lbs....I've lost 20 so far but it sure wasn't easy. I've tried every weight lose program under the sun over the last 25 years (yup, been overweight all my life) and it reallly is hard to make good choices on your own.....so any helpful advice would be nice :smile: I've learned a few helpful tips from each of the diet programs that I've found to be true (in my case anyways) and I try to apply them to my weight lose program today, but I'm still learning what does and doesn't work for me. I have learned however that, yes although these programs may work (if you have the will power and endure to the end), most of them just deprive you from one of the food groups that you don't plan on living w/out. So since I can't eat that way for the rest of my life, it's always back to the weight gain and then some.....bottom line, smaller portions and exercise are the only hope....that's why I like myfitnesspal.com. It gives me the calories check at my fingertips and I can decide for myself what I will and will not eat before hand and that I find helps.....sometimes:smile:
  • juvinurse
    juvinurse Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 58, a registered nurse, and I am losing weight especially for my health. Have high blood pressure and was recently diagnosed with high cholesterol. Need to make a change. I have lost 10 pounds in 3 weeks. Weigh in is tomorrow.
    Good luck on your weight loss. It is always harder when you are middle age.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Before I hit 50 later this year, I will be at a healthy weight for the first time in my adult life. (Only 14.5 lbs left to go!)

I started MFP around July 1, 2012 when my doctor told me I was borderline morbidly obese, my blood pressure was high enough that I would need to start meds soon, and was in danger of developing diabetes. I was (barely) wearing size 16 jeans, probably should have been wearing 18's.

Now, my bp is consistently normal and when I shop for jeans this weekend, I will be getting size 8's!

SW: 201
    CW: 155.5
    GW: 141
    UGW: 135

Feel free to add me!
  • Jus_Drea
    Options
    Hello I am 44 trying tp loose at least 50lbs, 20 lbs at a time.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    YES!!!!
    46 and 49 lbs - 56 lbs to lose!
    New friends are always good!
  • 7girls6boys
    Options
    Hi. I turned 40 this year and am trying to lose about 85 pounds. I started January 3rd. Have lost 25 pounds so far. Eating very healthy and exercising at least five days a week. Loving all the changes I am seeing. After giving my body to having my children over the past 17 years, I am now taking time to get it back and get in shape for myself and my kids. Would love to be friends.
  • cgriffin1968
    Options
    Wow 25 lbs in one month! Congrats! How'd you do it? I love to exercise, but fluctuate w/ my weight w/ certain foods. How are you eating healthy? If you don't mnd me asking, what's your daily calorie intake and what does your consumption look like in a day? Could use some advise:smile:
  • 1970KJ
    1970KJ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, today is my first day! I'm 43 next month and have between 30-40 lbs to lose - having piled on the weight over the last five/six years plus some extra after giving up smoking in November last year! Can't seem to shift it like I used to...... PS. pic is my goal not my reality :cry:
  • cgriffin1968
    Options
    :smile: Thanx! Good luck to you too!
  • pmcmullen58
    pmcmullen58 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    54 and trying to lose 50+ pounds........
  • RideaYeti
    RideaYeti Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am 46 and have struggled most of my life with my weight. I got as high as 278lbs and was able to drop about 25lbs by riding my bike. Was stuck there for a while and then joined MFP last year. Since joining MFP I have dropped 40lbs with about 30 more to go.

I have now added running to my bike riding and am plan on running my first 10K in April and a Triathlon in May. Good luck and feel free to add me as a friend.
  • healthfulnow
    healthfulnow Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm 55 (5' 41/2'") and only have a few more pounds to lose on my journey that started early Sept. 2012. Have lost 48 lbs already and trying to get down to the last 3 (GW - 129 lbs) and tone up a bit more. It can be done at our age!!! Don't have any before pics yet - will post shortly. I would love to be a motivator to anyone - this keeps me accountable and motivated as well.
  • Vanilla30
    Options
    Yep, were here...
  • donewithbeingfat
    Options
    I'm 40, and looking to lose about 100 pounds.
  • Allison22451
    Allison22451 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm 40.
    Anyone can feel free to add me.