[Guys only] How many calories are you eating a day?

Options
As the subject asks; How many calories are you guys eating in the run of a day? I just want to compare to see if i'm around where I should be. Specify if you're doing heavy lifting or not as well, because i'm lifting but am afraid to up my calories. I am currently setting myself at 2100 calories a day and not eating back exercise calories.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• zimfour
    zimfour Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    2070 Slowly loosing size, scales not so much....I swim ALOT, and that BURNS calories, but at the same time it builds Muscle that weighs more than fat!!! Just look at my pics...
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    2k on rest days, 2500 on workout days.
  • mikek333
    mikek333 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I typically eat 1800-2100. I eat back exercise calories when I run distance, but not when I lift. MFP says I can eat 1290 to lose 1.5 pounds per week, so...that's not going to happen!
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    Alright, perfect, that means i'm doing something right by the sounds of things. Thanks for the responses. This really helps me figure out where I need to be in terms of consuming so that I lose, but continue to build my muscle!
  • cchanski
    Options
    2200-2400 give or take, I cycle a lot and have been dropping about 1kg a week. But some days I may be close to 3000 and others around 1800.
  • Schmelvie
    Schmelvie Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    1789 plus my exercise calories. So usually 2100-2300.
  • christopherpm
    christopherpm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm on around 1800-2200 plus any exercise calories....
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    Excellent, excellent! Definitely where I want to be. Thanks for the additional responses! ;)
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options
    1550 typically. It's saddening to have to eat so little compared to most guys. I ate at my BMR (1813) for a month and didn't lose anything; in fact, I barely lose anything at 1550 (which I guess stands to reason if my maintenance is around 1813, because that would be a small deficit). I just upped my calories to 2000, though, because I figured I might as well bulk up until I figure out how much I should ideally be eating for weight loss (I'm going to get an RMR test soon). Unless my BMR is grossly higher than average, I will not be losing at 2000.
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    1550 typically. It's saddening to have to eat so little compared to most guys. I ate at my BMR (1813) for a month and didn't lose anything; in fact, I barely lose anything at 1550 (which I guess stands to reason if my maintenance is around 1813, because that would be a small deficit). I just upped my calories to 2000, though, because I figured I might as well bulk up until I figure out how much I should ideally be eating for weight loss (I'm going to get an RMR test soon). Unless my BMR is grossly higher than average, I will not be losing at 2000.

First of all, I have no idea why your BMR is like 400-500 calories lower than mine... That's pretty low. Secondly, you probably arn't losing much because your metabolism is likely going into starvation mode eating under your BMR. BMR is what you'd burn throughout the day if you laid in bed and just breathed.. From what I've read, you should at the very least be eating above that by about 300 calories. Hopefully your test will give you some more answers though.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    2100. I do not eat back exercise calories. It's easier to just stay consistent with my calories, that way I can make adjustments if I stop losing weight. That, and all the exercise calculators can really over estimate how many cals you burned.
  • Vlly4life15
    Vlly4life15 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I shoot for sub 2000 its rough
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options

First of all, I have no idea why your BMR is like 400-500 calories lower than mine... That's pretty low. Secondly, you probably arn't losing much because your metabolism is likely going into starvation mode eating under your BMR. BMR is what you'd burn throughout the day if you laid in bed and just breathed.. From what I've read, you should at the very least be eating above that by about 300 calories. Hopefully your test will give you some more answers though.

I used the Katch-McArdle BMR calculator, which takes body fat percentage into account, and that can indeed account for a several-hundred calorie difference. My BF is 32%, and I'm 5'10", 216 lbs. As far as eating below BMR, I've never found any merit in the claim that you shouldn't do it. Also, if I ate 300 above my BMR, I'd be eating a caloric surplus.
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options

I used the Katch-McArdle BMR calculator, which takes body fat percentage into account. My BF is 32%, and I'm 5'10", 216 lbs. As far as eating below BMR, I've never found any merit in the claim that you shouldn't do it. Also, if I ate 300 above my BMR, I'd be eating a caloric surplus.

I used a BMR calculator that uses body fat as well. I'm 5'11, 235 lbs and 31% body fat. I used fat2fitradio.com or something similar, which you can google. As for you being at a surplus if you consumed over you're BMR, you're wrong. Again, your BMR is what you NEED to SURVIVE. Typing out right now is burning calories. You're likely burning an additonal 400-1000 calories a day just doing the things you do like walking, typing, moving at all. You should figure out your TDEE [ Total Daily Energy Expenditure ] and eat a bit below that.
  • kitoi
    kitoi Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    On a cutting cycle so daily average calories are under 900. BMR is 1429, I'm 50 and 5"4'
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    On a cutting cycle so daily average calories are under 900. BMR is 1429, I'm 50 and 5"4'

By this, do you mean you're tricking your body with the, for example: Eating 2000 calories a day for a week then cutting down to your 900 for the other?
  • RHSheetz
    RHSheetz Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am ar 2700 calories, everyday.
  • SmileyFaceGuy
    Options

I used the Katch-McArdle BMR calculator, which takes body fat percentage into account. My BF is 32%, and I'm 5'10", 216 lbs. As far as eating below BMR, I've never found any merit in the claim that you shouldn't do it. Also, if I ate 300 above my BMR, I'd be eating a caloric surplus.

I used a BMR calculator that uses body fat as well. I'm 5'11, 235 lbs and 31% body fat. I used fat2fitradio.com or something similar, which you can google. As for you being at a surplus if you consumed over you're BMR, you're wrong. Again, your BMR is what you NEED to SURVIVE. Typing out right now is burning calories. You're likely burning an additonal 400-1000 calories a day just doing the things you do like walking, typing, moving at all. You should figure out your TDEE [ Totyal Daily Energy Expenditure ] and eat a bit below that.

I am thoroughly sedentary. Aside from weight training 3 times per week, I spend about 10 hours per day on my PC. Using a 1.2 multiplier, my TDEE is 1813 * 1.2 = 2176. 1813 + 300 = 2113. So I guess it wouldn't be quite a surplus, but rather maintenance.
  • BonaFideUK
    BonaFideUK Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm around 2500 cal a day. Not trying to lose weight though.
  • galenofedgewood
    galenofedgewood Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Honestly? I make it my goal to break 1200 gross each day (at a minimum). My goal calorie mark is 1550 (weight loss, and lots of it, is my current goal).

I've had very few days over that and even fewer over the net 1550 mark.

I'm probably not doing it completely healthy (calorie side of it), but I find myself not overly hungry most of the time.