Can people REALLY be motivated by someone else?

Options
124»

Replies

• determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    There is a moment when perspective begins to change. I had a friend who started losing weight and made me feel like I could do it, too. I also was watching a show called Make It or Break It, which showed awesome athletic ability and interested me to do something. Something began to click that I could actually start losing weight and that it isn't impossible. I lost weight last year, but then it halted. Now I am back at it with more motivation and determination that I can do it.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    Options
    Others might be able to make you see that you NEED to change, and they might be able to help you find the direction to that "click," but the actual motivation is on you. Unless of course they're holding a gun to your head, then they can probably motivate you.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Or....does something INSIDE of each person have to "click" to change long-held behaviors? I believe it's the latter.

Your thoughts please.

Something definitely has to click inside for that motivation to come, but sometimes the thing that makes everything fall in to place can be someone else. For example, when I started having weight loss success, my friend kept telling her mother about what I was doing and showing her pictures of my progress. Watching me lose weight helped her believe that it was possible for her to lose weight so she joined MFP and is enjoying her own success now.
  • sgtrowley
    sgtrowley Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I think alot of motivation can come from competition or challenge with other people, it does for me ( I like to try to be stronger, faster, and in better shape, so me and my friends push each other). Also working out with some one gives you motivation specially if you are not use to working out alot, having some one to help push you, to go faster, or knock out a few more reps is helpful. And of course Seeing all my MFP friends post "Way to go" or "Great job" after I post an exercise, or an update that I lost apound is great too.

Than of course You could allways go to Basic training and have a Drill SGT. Yelling at you! lol
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I motivate myself for the most part but I also take motivation in seeing other women who are more toned or more in shape than I am and strive to perhaps get to where they are.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    When you want something and are ready for it, you will find a way to make it happen. Until then, you will find excuses. That being said, you can sometimes have a bad/down day and can benefit from a friendly reminder or a swift kick in the pants.
  • TNR32
    TNR32 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sgtrowley having a buddy to workout with you can be the push that you need. I would not work out for a day or two and my now ex husband would start screaming about how I need to workout motivation killer. Yes working out is a big one for the military. And yes a drill SGT can motivate like none other.:happy:
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    I think in a way but really it all comes down to yourself. It is nice knowing other people are going through the same thing, see each others results and what not. It might make you work harder. Nice to chat about certain health foods and just weight in general. Can't go wrong either way, right?