Vegetarians Live Longer and Healthier

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I don't have to use my bare hands to kill a dear... that's why there are guns.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    The China Study came to the same conclusion.

When I was a vegetarian, I was dangerously low on folic acid and B12. This hasn't been a problem since I've abandoned the vegetarian diet. (I'm very attracted to it from a philosophical point of view - I love all animals - but it's too hard having a totally different from the rest of my family.)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    You know how folks say that married men living longer than single ones? Because the woman keeps 'em around a bit longer to be miserable?

Sounds about the same as being a vegetarian.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I don't have to use my bare hands to kill a dear... that's why there are guns.
    :laugh:
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR85iaAOZYwaB2uscT6iIL3LBMagqsdmASTygNAleU2wrDXPQ66Xg
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    You know how folks say that married men living longer than single ones? Because the woman keeps 'em around a bit longer to be miserable?

Sounds about the same as being a vegetarian.

Bwahahaaaaaaaaa :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Yep! This!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    The documentary Forks over Knives has a lot of good, well backed and documented research into the effects of animal protein on health and life spans of humans versus a whole health, plant based diet. I have heard a number of the same arguments against being a vegetarian over the last six years, and I don't buy most of them, particularly the whole canine tooth one. Our tooth structure is much more similar to horses and pigs than true carnivors. What we consider to be "canine" teeth are more useful for pulling the flesh off of an apple than a struggling zebra. Our intestines are much too long for a true carnivore as well. I'm not trying to convert anyone (my girlfriend is a carnivore and more power to her), but I did want to address certain misconceptions that had been posted here about our evolution.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    As a vegitarian how to you get 30-40% of calories of protien? Pm

I don't get 30-40% of my calories from protein. That would be very unhealthy and it would overwork my kidneys. Standard plant foods provide all the protein I need in just the right proportions, usually between 6-15%. Human breast milk is only 5%-8% protein and that's for a growing baby, when protein needs are high. Too many of us believe what we see on TV and hear from the meat industry when it comes to protein requirements.

I get at least 30% protein a day and I'm vegetarian. I'd quite like to keep my muscles whilst I drop body fat (weight). Unless you have some kind of underlying kidney disease you won't over work your kidneys by eating 30-40% protein (that is unless you are eating like 6000 calories a day (my maths is rubbish - but am sure someone can correct me with the amount of protein that can effect your kidneys - 300g?)

Eggs, milk, beans, pulses, cheese, tofu, soy....there are plenty of places to get protein if you are vegetarian or vegan
  • allie_rat
    allie_rat Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    However, the 3rd tooth from the middle on each side is called a canine. The canine sole function is to grasp and tear meat. Therefore, it is in our basic evolutionary design to eat meat. Herbivores do not have them, because they are designed to be unable to process meat; therefore, they do not need the teeth to tear meat. As humans are omnivores, we have both canines for tearing meat and the flat molars for grinding plant matter.

Have you ever looked at a hippo's canines? They're herbivores and have huge ones!
  • cassiepv
    cassiepv Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    It just feels longer
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    It just feels longer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzg98oxoW_K9AeNcn5A-38AudYAFl102IOyP3v700Jy5PTPSBtNQ
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Just like I said in a thread earlier...

How can you tell there's a vegan or vegetarian at a party?

Just wait 5mins. They'll tell you.

I'm going to start throwing pieces of meat at people just to demonstrate that I eat eat just like vegans and vegetarians are CONSTANTLY trying to sway everybody to their side. Just give it a rest. You don't like to eat meat, I GOT IT. MORE FOR ME.
  • Viva_Karina
    Viva_Karina Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    meat-is-murder-tasty-tasty-murder-funny-poster-print.jpg
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Go_Vegan_They_Said.jpg
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    bump for later....this is getting gooooood.

And just to contribute. I eat meat, but my girlfriend is a vegetarian. Its hard to pick places to go eat lol...but I deal with it. She gives me a hard time sometimes because she is just a fanatical believer like I think most vegetarians are....but I'm very healthy, strong and happy eating meat....until I start feeling otherwise or have a reason to switch....I'm gonna enjoy my steaks and bacon! :)
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Telomere length is the strongest link to longer life, though :) (blast those genetics... they foil a good story all the time, don't they?)

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/27/phys-ed-how-exercising-keeps-your-cells-young/

Exercise is really key.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Options
    BS
  • VersusTheMoose
    Options
    http://perfecthumandiet.us/

Watch the doc, please.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    good, more meat and bacon for me!

moom32.gif
    Omg, i love this.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    A day or so ago, someone was all on about how grains were the culprit that were going to kill you.
    All of this conflicting information that manages to be so obviously true to both sides.

I'm going to go with something along the lines that both lines of thought are off the deep end and keep living the life of the omnivore, as I was so obviously designed to do.