Diet Sodas- Is It Affecting My Weight Loss?

Options
So I have a problem and I really hope my fellow MFP-ers can help. I drink a LOT of soda. I mean tons. Most days I drink around 2-4 liters in the evening, at least 5 cups of tea a day with creamer and often have a couple of pops during the work day. I only drink diet sodas and don't take sugar in my tea so I felt I was being healthy since I'm not terribly keen on water or flavored water. I've tried it with lemon and other things and it's OK but I crave something with real flavor and that yummy fizz.

Do carbonated beverages cause the body to retain liquid? I've been losing pretty steadily but I've been plateauing out for over a month and I'm drinking plenty of liquids, just very minimal water.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Other than the liquids, I'm doing so well and nothing is changing.

Thanks, everyone and good luck on your losses, too.

Replies

• RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this as well. I just discovered Coke Zero and I liked it but I was worried about starting to drink it for this very reason. I've never been a diet soda drinker but I just can't afford the calories of regular anymore without sacrificing real food!
  • odadkins78
    Options
    well ive always been told the aspertame in diet sodas cause major health issues
  • AckieJ
    AckieJ Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Well I stopped cold turkey with drinking diet or non-diet and felt the weight fall off. Went back to drinking it and now I'm at a stand still. Tomorrow we start a biggest loser challenge at work so attempting to stop the diets for the 6 weeks. So we'll see.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Everyone reacts differently to artificial sweeteners and you will find people here who are quite militant about their disapproval of diet drinks. I drink Coke Zero and diet 7-Up a few times a week and it hasn't affected my weight loss in any way.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I used to drink them but haven't had one in months. Diet soda has had no effect on my weight whatsoever. :drinker:
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    well ive always been told the aspertame in diet sodas cause major health issues

lololol
  • naidyl150
    Options
    I just discovered Coke Zero not too long ago as well. I have family members who drink exclusively diet drinks, soda and tea, and haven't drank an ounce of water in the past 15 years or so and have lost significant weight.
    I also have other family members that swear soda is going to kill us, so I just ignore them

Aspartame did cause health issues in the lab experiments done for FDA testing, but you have to keep in mind that during those tests, they are using around 50 times the amount the average person will use per day. They are to find the extremes of what new chemicals will cause.

Truly, it depends on the individual person. Overall, I believe, that as long as you try to add some variety, and maybe a little bit of moderation, you should be alright.
  • mustang3
    mustang3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have been hooked on Sparkling Ice Water. . . It is flavored and carbonated so you get your fizz fix!! Plus you can get it in multiple flavors!! As a bonus it has no sugars or calories :smile:
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    OP, what do mean by "plenty of liquids"?
  • FindingSamMon
    FindingSamMon Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the diet soda (I still indulge occasionally), but when I stopped using cream in my coffee, I lost 3 pounds in a week (I used to do coffee with triple cream 2 or three times a day). Now I use milk or drink it black.....
  • hilarytwilary
    hilarytwilary Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There is some evidence that even diet soda can make people gain weight. This video sums it up: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-diet-soda-could-make-us-gain-weight/
  • sarahirishrose
    Options
    I drink diet soda, but I don't drink it everyday and I do drink lots of water. I use it as a treat on days where I'm having a lot of trouble. Maybe do crystal light or something? I don't know but I had always heard it was the carbonation that was counter productive. This article I found was the most balanced on the information.

http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/food-weight-loss/ask-diet-doctor-can-diet-soda-make-you-fat
  • winterswish
    Options
    Please take this from a completely non-preachy, non-clean eating point of view: ditch the soda, diet or otherwise.

I was raised with soda as a food group, meaning it wasn't a "Would you like a soda?" it was a "Which kind do you want?" sort of household. For the first time in my 34 years, I'm eight weeks soda free and it REALLY does make a difference.

I gave up diet soda about a year ago and shed all of my headache problems (thanks to aspartame, also linked to Alzheimer's if I'm not mistaken but don't quote me). Switched to regular but cut back on my consumption. Two months ago I just decided to give it up and I'm so glad.

It was hard because it was such a habit, but that's all it was-- a habit. I found I was at the store buying it mindlessly, not even wondering if I wanted it at all. Just buying it because that's what I do. And now, I don't. And I don't want it. And I still can't believe I'm saying it.

I guess if you don't have any negative reactions to the artificial sweeteners and you're limiting intake of them as you would any other "treat" type food, then I say what the heck. But if it's the habit you're supporting and not the enjoyment...I say let it go.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    My answer is: Maybe.

Some people seem to be sensitive to the ingredients in diet soda, while others are not.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Loads of Coke Zeros and I used to be on cheap fizzy drinks all the time.
    When I stopped as per doctor's suggestion due to upset stomach (turns out it was Caesin powder causing it), it didn't affect me at all.
    I find Coke Zero a really good tool to help weight loss as someone that doesn't drink hot drinks.

I also liked the way that fizzy drinks give you a bit of a 'full' feeling.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    There is some evidence that even diet soda can make people gain weight. This video sums it up: http://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-diet-soda-could-make-us-gain-weight/
    "People consuming low calorie sweeteners may overcompensate by eating more than they otherwise would."

Not if you're counting calories. And it's not the diet soda making people gain weight, it's the fact that they think they can eat twice as much as they would have if they had a regular soda... in those cases it is their own stupidity that's making them gain weight.
  • babydocDO
    Options
    Diet sodas have no calories; however, studies have shown that the more diet soda a person drinks, the more he or she weighs. Most likely, this is due to other factors in an individual's diet. For many people, drinking soda, even diet soda, is accompanied with eating other foods that are high in calories. Therefore, the weight gain is caused not by the diet soda, but the other foods. Aspartamine can cause headaches in high quantities, but not inherently dangerous unless you have phenoketonuria. Diet sodas do have sodium in them. This sodium is pretty negligible in small quantities of diet soda; however, it can add up if you are drinking a lot. All this sodium can lead to weight gain due to fluid retention as well has hypertension in the long term.
  • Kristineknits
    Kristineknits Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether the contents of a soda hurt you... you are drinking a LOT of soda and tea. Are you drinking as a substiute for eating? Maybe you are substituting these drinks for food that could actually satisfy your hunger. You also may want to drink more water, I notice I lose more when I am well hydrated.

Maybe start cutting back a liter a week until you are down to only 24 ounces a day. I suspect you may feel a bit better, even if if doesn't result in huge weight loss.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    i've not been drinking much at all since being on mfp. I do know the Adkins diet said any diet drink except those sweetened with splenda somehow stalls weight loss. They didn't know why...but saw a pattern with stalls when low carb dieters drank aspartame.

I've also heard that the diet drinks keep people wanting sweets..so that is why it stalls weight loss.

what is so great about mfp is you can find out for yourself. Drink diet soda for a month...then quit for a month..and see how much you lose each month..and there.. you have your answer.
  • ubetterwerk
    Options
    My nutrritionist suggested eliminating completely, but if I had to have it, it would do less harm if I drank it with a meal. I used to have a diet soda in the morning (and all day). I did find that cutting it out between meals made a huge difference in my hunger and snacky feeling between meals. I also notice a difference in the appearance of my skin when I don't drink it. It's tough, but for me it made a difference. The hardest one for me to give up was the morning one, but I found caffeinated water called Water Joe, I found it at Meijer. It helped me b/c I'm not a coffee drinker (unless it's a 400 cal. latte ;)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!