Diet Sodas- Is It Affecting My Weight Loss?

Options

Replies

• spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    There have been lots of studies showing a connection with artificial sweeteners - particularly aspartame & sucralose (the 2 most common used artificial sweeteners in diet drinks) - & weight gain, both in animals & humans.

I particularly don't even want to touch aspartame with a 10 foot pole.

There are other healthier options out there, if you like carbonated drinks &/or the sweet taste. Natural carbonated juices or carbonated water with your own flavoring... I like getting a big thing of carbonated water & putting some lemon in it. Sparkling pomegranate or apple juice is really yummy too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,689 Member
    Options
    If one doesn't have an adverse reaction to aspartame, then why would weight loss be affected from a drink that contains 0-1 calories?

You can't gain fat weight from a 0-1 calorie drink.

Can it affect your weight loss? Again, it may differ from person to person.

Personally I've drank diet soda for about 25+ years with no adverse effects and my weight has been pretty steady for that time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • richiefixo
    richiefixo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i think a small 300ml of diet can every other day or even every day cant be too detrimental....it will eventually add up and may cause future issues but for now you are alright....drinking 5 everyday or 2-4Litres, now that putting you on a fast track to all sorts of health issues.

i say cut down very slowly until you dont need it any more. cold turkey wont last very long.

Goodluck! and always remember how amazing you are :)
  • tsietstra
    Options
    Did you watch that doc?? Its great! Im tryyyyying to lead a healthier lifestyle, on all food... but sometimes, I just need that pizza! LoL
    But Im feeling more better than not & wanting great food more, you can tell when you eat better (:
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Threads like this always have the same things in them...

"I drink 4 sodas every day & it hasn't affected my weight loss!'
    "I have Mc Donald's for breakfast every morning & I lost weight!"
    "I don't exercise at all & lost 50 pounds last year!"

Well good for you. Rock on with your chemical sugar formaldehyde burger lazy self.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a 2 litre bottle of diet pepsi every day. My weight didnt change at all. It was only when I added up how much I was spending on it that I quit (£12.50 a week!) Now I drink 2 litres of water instead, have tons more energy and my skin looks fab! Whether this is related to having no diet soda I have no idea but Im definitely less bloated.
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've never had a problem with soda and rarely drink it, but I heard something about water that may help encourage you. I heard a doctor on nutrition say that adding 1 1/2 liters of water a day to what you already drink will actually cause you to lose 5 lbs in a year just from drinking the water because it boosts your metabolism. I try to drink 3-4 liters of water per day, when I want something with taste I put fruit in it and add drops of liquid stevia which is an all natural calorie free sweetner. You can find flavored liquid stevia at health food stores, I have even seen root beer flavor, but I have never tried it.
  • scaredofcoasters
    scaredofcoasters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I replaced all soda cravings with Seltzer. I found Schwepps Lemon Lime to be a perfect replacement for Sprite, and at 0 calories and no sweeteners or sugar, it's much better for you! 2 ingredients: Carbonated Water and Natural Flavors.

Also, cutting out soda right from the start helped me to lose 10 pounds in about a month.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    If drinking diet soda helps you adhere to your calorie target by satisfying a sweet craving, then it will help weight loss. If it causes adherence issues by triggering a sweet tooth, then it will hinder weight loss. The diet soda in itself will not directly impact weight loss.
  • carijok
    Options
    Used to be a diet coke addict. Two to six cans a day, I'm ashamed to say. Ordered extra cheese and sour cream but make that a DIET coke, I'm ashamed to say I said. That stuff is awful. I'm no scientist but I think my organs were having such trouble processing the aspartame that they couldn't efficiently metabolize the food I was eating. I dropped several pounds within five days of stopping, and it's stayed off. Coincidence? I don't care. I'm not going back that stuff is horribly addictive and it doesn't even taste good if you think about it. Try quitting I bet you will lose weight and drink more water naturally.
  • kateguy1981
    kateguy1981 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't really drink diet soda but I was watching a programme the other day where a young bloke(23) had absolutely terrible teeth. They were all black around the gum line now obviously I'm sure his dental hygeine must have played a part but the Dr on the programme said it was down to the diet coke he was drinking mainly. He did an experiment I think it was with phosphoric acid (but don't quote me) where it dissolved a human tooth and although it was concentrated this young gentleman was drinking about 4 litres a day and he said that because he was continuously swilling it around his mouth eventually it would errode his teeth! xx:ohwell:
  • krissy_krossy
    krissy_krossy Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Im glad to hear you say this. I hate soda.
    It makes me ill.
    Not as in physically, like I drink it & it makes me sick,
    I mean as in People drink it all the time and it makes me sick.
    I hate it. Its useless, nothing but bad for you calories.
    My sons dad HAS always been a _SODA_ holic. Ive nvr got it.
    His health is terrible, at this point not necessarily because of soda,
    but thats what he leads back too. And I DO NOT let my son drink the crap
    the way he does.
    Its just no good.
    I personally, think it should be something you cant have till you are
    a certain age. Id dehydrate if there was only soda to drink.
    Gross.

:huh: :laugh:
    *sips diet soda* :drinker:
  • amberlynnsinspired
    amberlynnsinspired Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas do not affect weight loss.
  • Minerva624
    Minerva624 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Personally, I absolutely HATE soda. Diet soda is so unnatural and it tastes like chemicals. Plus I would hate to ruin my teeth that I spend so much time taking care of with braces.
  • RoxyBaroque
    RoxyBaroque Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't know about ti affecting your weight loss, but diet sodas still have a lot of acid in them (from being carbonated) so from a dentist's point of view - they will still cause holes in their teeth! I get so many people in my surgery who promise me til they're blue in the face that they don't eat sweetsor drink coke and can't understand why their teeth are so bad - then we find that they drink low sugar soda - it'll still rot your teeth! So be careful!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I don't know about ti affecting your weight loss, but diet sodas still have a lot of acid in them (from being carbonated) so from a dentist's point of view - they will still cause holes in their teeth! I get so many people in my surgery who promise me til they're blue in the face that they don't eat sweetsor drink coke and can't understand why their teeth are so bad - then we find that they drink low sugar soda - it'll still rot your teeth! So be careful!
    Similar ph to a fruit juice like Orange juice, apparently.

Pezzz624: yea, it turns out the biggest ingredient in most diet sodas is the chemical 'DHMO'! ;)
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is: if you can't pronounce all of the ingredients, don't put it in your body.

Then again, dihydrogenmonoxide translates to water; and I'm pretty sure the chemical name of flour is quite a mouthful.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Indeed, which is why it's rather a silly rule :).
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    Indeed, which is why it's rather a silly rule :).

^^This.

don't fear stuff unnecessarily. If it makes you feel bad don't eat it. otherwise, just watch the cals and keep burning.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,689 Member
    Options
    Bad teeth will come from bad hygiene. Plain and simple.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!