Diet Sodas- Is It Affecting My Weight Loss?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Simple solution, if you are concerned for any reason, cut down and replace the soda with either still or fizzy water. If you aren't concerned, keep drinking the soda.

Substituting any zero or near zero calorie drink for another zero calorie is not going to affect your weight loss. The rest is up to you to decide what is best for you: too much caffeine? Worried about artificial sweeteners? Need to cut costs?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet anything after I worked fast food. The diet soda syrup corroded the lines that ran it to the fountain machine years faster than the regular soda does. You can't pay me to put that poison in my body now.
    Coke and diet coke around ph3 - ph3.5 apparently - however when in your mouth that changes to around ph5 - 5.5 it seems.
    Your gut, comparatively is around ph2 when you start eating I think - so if you don't want something that rots pipes inside your body, I'm afraid you'll have to remove your digestive system!

The regular coke was fine though- and that's my point. It's the artificial junk in the diet that is corrosive. And yes, I'm well aware that my own stomach acids are corrosive. But it's not artificial.

I have no issue with the occasional soda- maybe once a month or so- but I refuse to drink diet anything.

What is corrosive about the *artificial junk* in diet soda? This is assuming that there is no * artificial junk* in non-diet soda of course.

I don't know. I just know that it made the lines corrode. I'm not forcing you to not drink it- just stating why I won't.

I never said there isn't any artificial junk in non-diet soda. If given the choice, I'll take my soda made with sugar and not HFCS too.

I wonder what would happen if you ran hydrochloric acid (the acid found in your stomach for those unsure) through the same pipes?......

Or even plain all natural orange juice - which is way more acidic than coke.
  • markstar69
    markstar69 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the actual weight loss but there have been studies suggesting it can mess with your blood sugar levels which might impact/cause Type 2 Diabetes. Here is a recent article in the NYTimes.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/17/artificial-sweeteners-may-disrupt-bodys-blood-sugar-controls/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Just yesterday my dentist recommended staying away from Diet Soda as well as sugared soda. It messes with your PH levels in your mouth in a bad way.
  • eraser51
    eraser51 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    i heard the main reason for problems is the citric or phosphoric ACID which inhibits the ketosis through the krebs cycle

does someone has information of this??

my progress:
    my weight just goes up and down for no reason..
    cut cheese, aspartam and nuts nearly completely but gained again after losing a lot after i cut the soda.. maybe just usual fluctuation??

yesterday:
    i had a bit more on kcal and gained 600g??
    i know a bit salt on my eggs but
    seriously food? seriously? :)

could someone look over this??

http://s270.photobucket.com/user/eraser51/library/verlauf

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/de/food/diary/eraser51
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!