What do you feed your Pets?

Options

Replies

• tcmulli
    Options
    Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul. man they love it. Pupcorn for treats.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    We feed our dog Pedigree. My vet didn't have any issues with that and he's been fine on it.

Maybe fine now, but long term, that kind of food will cause problems. Of course the vet doesn't mind- you'll be taking the dog to him for allergies, shots, lick sores, tumors/lumps- all from feeding that kind of food. Vets hate raw diets because the dogs are healthy and don't need vet visits. Mine haven't been to the vet for anything but rabies shots in years, aside from my Dane who has some health issues that are not diet related.

Sadly, most vets have little nutrition training. They push Science Diet and all that stuff which is horrible food- because they make money off of it. When we 1st looked into raw for our Shepherd, we had an 11 year old mix breed dog who had been fed on Pedigree for years. She stunk, she had dandruff, bad breath, her coat was dull and dry, she constantly shed, to the point we shaved her in the summer. We just thought that was how dogs were supposed to be. We put her on raw the same time as everyone else. 3 months later, we had a totally different dog. Thick, shiny coat, no bad breath, leaner, not more dandruff or shedding. More vitality/vigor.

Here's a before and an after shot of her:
    Before
    prerawmidnite.jpg

After- that isn't silver hair, thats the sun shining off of her.
    midnite.jpg
  • AngNY
    AngNY Posts: 193
    Options
    Wellness Core is the bomb.com. My little Chihuahua has seen massive improvements since switching to this brand. She sheds less, has a softer coat, maintains a healthy weight and is overall doing well on it.

She's still a little ***** though. :-) And I love her.

Gotta love our little b****es! lol
  • AngNY
    Options
    We feed our dog Pedigree. My vet didn't have any issues with that and he's been fine on it.

Maybe fine now, but long term, that kind of food will cause problems. Of course the vet doesn't mind- you'll be taking the dog to him for allergies, shots, lick sores, tumors/lumps- all from feeding that kind of food. Vets hate raw diets because the dogs are healthy and don't need vet visits. Mine haven't been to the vet for anything but rabies shots in years, aside from my Dane who has some health issues that are not diet related.

Sadly, most vets have little nutrition training. They push Science Diet and all that stuff which is horrible food- because they make money off of it. When we 1st looked into raw for our Shepherd, we had an 11 year old mix breed dog who had been fed on Pedigree for years. She stunk, she had dandruff, bad breath, her coat was dull and dry, she constantly shed, to the point we shaved her in the summer. We just thought that was how dogs were supposed to be. We put her on raw the same time as everyone else. 3 months later, we had a totally different dog. Thick, shiny coat, no bad breath, leaner, not more dandruff or shedding. More vitality/vigor.

Here's a before and an after shot of her:
    Before
    prerawmidnite.jpg

After- that isn't silver hair, thats the sun shining off of her.
    midnite.jpg

He is absolutely right. And my dog is also living proof. She was on it for most of her life and all she had were allergies, got diabetes and had tumors. Since making the switch to Wellness Core, she's been perfectly healthy. No issues at all! If I had more money then I have now, I would do a raw diet as well.
  • ravinraven718
    Options
    The cats get Healthwise for dry food, supplimented with Tiki Cat canned food (Ahi Tuna). I think my cats eat better than I do >.<
  • tnjackso1
    tnjackso1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Carrots, Lettuce, and tangerines....Yeap you guessed it I have a rabbit!!
  • rachel4304
    rachel4304 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Our dog Mister AKA Derp was constantly chewing on his stomach and lower legs-- so much so my husband starting calling him "*kitten*." We switched him to the Castor & Pollux brand with no grain or corn and he stopped doing it. I'm assuming an allergy. I've never had it tested.

VkUxsgS.jpg
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    We would never feed our baby Pedigree or any of that supermarket garbage.

She's not on raw, but we switched from a natural product containing grain, to the grain-free version. It made a HUGE difference in her, um, flatulence levels. SO much better. And she has a lot more energy, just seems generally healthier.

It's not natural for dogs to eat grains, so we think the grain-free products are the way to go.
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Oh crap! You are supposed to feed em? Doh!
  • LizCO2DC
    LizCO2DC Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I used to feed our dogs Taste of the Wild Salmon (which I LOVE) but we recently discovered that Costo's grain-free salmon food is EXACTLY the same as Taste of the Wild. They're even made in the same factory. Best of all, the cost is about $20 less for a bigger bag.
  • Athena125
    Athena125 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I feed my kitty a gluten-free high protein dry food and I give her 1/3 can of organic tuna (the kind for people) 3-4 times a week. Sometimes I give her some turkey or chicken cut up.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Ours used to eat either Pedigree or Alpo which I discovered were actually not the greatest of foods even though they were a bit pricey.

They now eat Actrium... we buy it at Walmart and it's actually rated pretty good. There is no gluten and no byproducts in it.

All three of the dogs in the house eat it. It's a bit more expensive than the Alpo they used to eat but without the crap, byproducts and fillers they eat less of the food itself.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    All natural food with Calcium spray added for my tortoise, Blue dry food for the cats...although they refuse to eat the healthy wet food...so we found a middle ground to compromise with them :tongue:
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I feed my cats IAM's hairball control dry cat food so they're not coughing up hairballs all over the place (before that they were eating Meow Mix which they loved but threw up frequently), pounce cat treats and a small amount of whatever we're having for dinner (beef, chicken, fish etc.).

My cats are 18 and 12 years old and both are a normal weight and healthy.
  • AngNY
    Options
    Ours used to eat either Pedigree or Alpo which I discovered were actually not the greatest of foods even though they were a bit pricey.

They now eat Actrium... we buy it at Walmart and it's actually rated pretty good. There is no gluten and no byproducts in it.

All three of the dogs in the house eat it. It's a bit more expensive than the Alpo they used to eat but without the crap, byproducts and fillers they eat less of the food itself.

Good choice on making the switch! :)
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Our kitties eat Blue Buffalo Wilderness Indoor Formula.
  • AngNY
    Options
    All natural food with Calcium spray added for my tortoise, Blue dry food for the cats...although they refuse to eat the healthy wet food...so we found a middle ground to compromise with them :tongue:

Cats are so picky! I have one who hates wet food but loves fruits lol.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    We feed ours Freshpet and Vital. They are the same company. They both are human grade meats made into sausages. The one company "Freshpet" has a chicken roll with veggies and the other has a turkey with cranberry that our dog loves. Before, we couldn't get our pet to eat ANY dry foods..it was a fight. We had to cook foods to finally convince him to eat. Finally, we found Freshpet and now he eats with no arguments and loves it. It was worth every penny.

Monica
  • abrewer563
    Options
    My dogs eat blue buffalo and my kitten eats simply nourish... they love it!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    My German Shepherds get Fromm Gold. I had one of them on Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul but noticed a drastic decline in her energy level. I switched her to Fromm and made sure the calories were the same and she's thriving again.

I also give them chicken, eggs, cheese, and veggies as a treat.