Replies

• TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Throw it in the garbage
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Old-fashioned cabbage rolls. My mother used to make them with rice, ground beef and tomato soup on top. I'd swap out the beef for ground turkey and maybe add some onion and spices.
  • pipcoulson
    Options
    My favourite way with cabbage - and I have a garden full - is to chop a lean slice of bacon and fry gently in a nonstick pan, add a bit of water to get a head of steam, and then add chopped up cabbage, grated or julienned carrot, green beans, and chopped zucchini. Toss it all around, and then season with you favourite seasoning. Try Morrocan, or Tuscan, or just plain pepper and a small sprinkle of salt.
    You can fill yourself up with this and there are few calories in it. :wink:
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I can't stand cooked cabbage, or at least, I can't stand the smell. I'm going to get some and process it until it's very fine and add it to my Cowboy Soup next week. My husband's family loves it but if I can chew it, or see it, I can't stand it. So I'm hoping that processing it will make it tolerable.

I like to eat it raw, though. I'll just munch on it, it doesn't need to be in anything.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I shred it, treat it like lettuce and make a salad!!! :heart:
  • squeakyfish
    squeakyfish Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    We had cabbage tonight! Here are things we do with it:

baked eggroll filler

sliced into rounds about 1/2" thick, drizzled with EVOO and roasted on a cookie sheet for about 30 min at 400 F (that was tonight's experiment)

diced, and fried in a very small amount of EVOO over low heat for an extended period. Add a bit of rice vinegar and salt and pepper and let it caramelize
  • NakeshiaB
    NakeshiaB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you're anything like my grandma you boil it to death until it's an inconceivable mush that stinks out the house. Or if you're like me you feed it to a cow because that's the only thing it's good for.

Otherwise: coleslaw, soup or stir fry are all good options. Cabbage soup for the brave (and for those with lack of smell).
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Stuffed cabbage. Yay, Poland!
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    This is one of my absolute favorite recipes ever!
    http://www.eatmedelicious.com/2009/12/indian-stir-fried-cabbage.html

Takes about 10 minutes.

**add some to a more conventional sitr-fry too. I love my cabbage lightly cooked.

I also make all kinds of variations of "coleslaw" with different vinaigrettes. Sadly, I can't eat too much raw cabbage since I discovered I am hypothyroid. So I limit it to a few times a month.

One local grocery make a salad like this in the deli: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/03/thai-cabbage-salad-with-chicken-recipe.html

I always get some for a light lunch, but I should try to make it on my own. Their version adds caramelized onions too.
  • SheriBethB
    SheriBethB Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Roasted cabbage! Yum yum! Its the only way the kids and husband will eat it. http://www.marthastewart.com/315062/roasted-cabbage-wedges
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Make some homemade Sauerkraut
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Roasted cabbage! Yum yum! Its the only way the kids and husband will eat it. http://www.marthastewart.com/315062/roasted-cabbage-wedges

ooh, good idea. I need to try this with the next head I get!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    corned beef with a head of cabbage in a crock pot with an onion, salt and pepper walla! YUM!!
  • bwcrouch
    bwcrouch Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Open back door .... throw as hard as you can. :)
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Just bumping till I get home as I too have some cabbage waiting
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    make the slimming soup with it, yum!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    go to the local butcher, and buy a nice juicy steak. i like rib eye. A lot of people like to season it with a lot of different stuff, but i just like salt, pepper, an a drop of olive oil.

fire up the grill and grill that steak up. just 3-4 minutes on each side depending on how thick it is and how you like it cooked.

stare at the head of cabbage for about thirty seconds before throwing it in the garbage. that is enough cabbage in your day.

eat your steak.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I had a party a few weeks ago in the upstairs room of a pizza place - they were doing the catering.

The centrepiece of the spread was a half a cabbage studded with sticks containing a cockatial sausage and a marshmallow. Yes, one sausage and one marshmallow per stick.

Everyone agreed it was the best use they'd ever seen for a cabbage.
  • FinallyDoingMe
    FinallyDoingMe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    shred it, add chopped onions, pepper strips and pan fry with Pam
    NOM
  • ClareKaczmarek
    Options
    Stuffed cabbage. Yay, Poland!
    Yummy :)