What to do with a head of cabbage?

Options

Replies

• LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    A few things come to mind:

Fry it up in 10g of real butter on a low heat with a few pieces of bacon

Cook it up with a sauspan of potatoes, mash together with semi milk, salt, pepper and real butter

Steam it until soft, oven bake a tray of your fave veg and blend the lot together for an awesome winter soup
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Chop finely and fry with a little oil, crushed garlic and chilli flakes. Season with salt and pepper.

Or make bubble and squeak - fry it up with leftover mashed potatoes and onions.
  • travel_kat
    travel_kat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Paleo rice or make Sauerkraut - lacto fermented is nicest (alot easier to make than you would think and its tastes fantastic)..
  • phreekles
    phreekles Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Vietnamese vegetarian pho - one of my favourite recipes and super healthy and filling!

www.food.com/recipe/vegetarian-pho-vietnamese-noodle-soup-201382
  • jquarequio
    jquarequio Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    cabbage casserole!!! Cook cabbage till soft in a casserole pan mix cabbage a can of low sodium, low fat cream of celery soup, 1 cup of reduced fat cheese (mild cheddar, sharp or whatever you like). Crush low sodium saltines on top and bake at 350 deg for about 20-30min. Its great and kids love it.
  • foxro
    foxro Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Poke a hole in it to make sure it's not a Zombie cabbage !!!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I have become a fan of the local farmer's market and am trying to expand my, and my family's, fruit and vegetable palates. I went a bit crazy and bought without a plan this week and find myself singing the following to the tune of drunken sailor:

What do I do with a head of cabbage
    Cause I don't want to waste money

Hahaha I did the same thing this week :P Yesterday I finally chopped mine up in the food processor and made a nice crunchy slaw with an oil and vinegar vinaigrette. It'll make a good side dish for lunches and dinners for the rest of the week :)
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Since St.Patricks is coming up try Colcannon. Make up a nice big bowl of mashed potatoes however you usually like them. Rough chop cabbage and boil till tender, then drain. Also pan fry a protein till nicely browned. I like to make it with ground turkey. Traditionally its made with ham or bacon. Then mix em all together. I like to layer them. Sometimes I add fresh corn. Also kale and mustartd greens are other great veggies for this.
  • princessnik7
    princessnik7 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I take the cabbage and cut it up, wash it really well, put a tiny bit of olive oil or veggie oil in the bottom of the pot, drop cabbage in and let cook. I don't add water because the water from washing it will be sufficient. I also us a pack of goya ham seasoning to get that taste of seasoning meat without the fatty meat.

And i don't cook it til mushy, I like it a little more firm. I always put pepper sauce on mine soooooo good.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give some of these recipes a try
  • KathrynCatlady
    KathrynCatlady Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Spicy Cole Slaw!

If you like japanese wasabi, you'll like this:

http://thepugnaciousvegetarian.com/tag/spicy-coleslaw/
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Grilled with bacon! Had this last night - it was delish!

c71861f1-7678-4434-ab3c-48e2b499c9a7_zpse36050d8.jpg
  • lyngoode
    lyngoode Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Head of cabbage
    1 Onion (red, yellow, white, sweet.. your choice)
    red, yellow, and/or green peppers
    2 pounds of smoked sausage
    1 can of chicken broth
    Potatoes (as many as you would like-- or none if you are low carb like me)

In a baking dish, layer with chopped cabbage on the bottom, then sliced onions and peppers, then sliced potatoes, and slice the sausage and put it on the top. Cover with teh chicken broth (no added water). Put in the oven at 450 and it takes about
    1-1/2 hours if you use potatoes and about 45 minutes to an hour without.

This is an amazingly flavorful one-dish meal. I found this recipe on Pinterest and tried it. This quickly became my families favorite.. even my most finicky child loves it.
  • jonswife0206
    jonswife0206 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I love cabbage ! So low in fat\calories and I grow it every year in my garden !! Sauteed cabbage and onions, stuffed cabbage, cabbage soup, stuffed cabbage cassarole, ham and cabbage, stir fry with other vegetables, cabbage and noodles, COLE SLAW !! There are so many recipes for cabbage that are healthy and low in fat\calories. Just Google cabbage recipes !
  • Bigbobhatley
    Bigbobhatley Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For low carb, low cal soup

shred cabbage up
    add 2lbs chicken
    onion
    turnip
    32-40 oz of chicken broth
    season with thyme, crushed red pepper flakes
    garlic powder, 2 bay leaves, salt, pepper

boil chicken, put all together but cabbage in to cook because the turnip and onion takes longer to cook,
    add cabbage add in and let cook down. Taste great.
  • elka67
    elka67 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Stuffed cabbage. Yay, Poland!
    Yummy :)

Bigos - yey Poland :) Fresh or with sauerkraut - yum
    Chuck it into any casserole/soup or as a side to the main course.
    I've seen it roasted on Pinterest and am trying this next time.
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Shred it, steam it with black pepper and fresh chopped rosemary