Why I work out before eating anything!

Options
13»

Replies

• Swedgen
    Options
    I just started going to the gym about a month ago, very early in the morning before work. I've never eaten my first meal until 9 or 10 AM in the past, so I was going to the gym at 5:30AM on an empty stomach. Eventually I noticed that I was having less energy, and wasn't riding the eliptical as hard as I should be, and couldn't stay on it as long. So I basically forced myself to have a small bite to eat before I leave the house, not so much that I feel full, but just to have something in my stomach. The difference was noticeable almost immediately as I felt better and had more energy for my workout.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/400621-breakfast-to-increase-metabolism/ <This is all I'm trying to say! I'm not saying that YOU or anyone HAS to eat breakfast, or that you won't lose weight if you don't eat it. I'm not even saying that I always eat breakfast. All I'm saying is that it is beneficial to your metabolism. It is YOUR choice. I'm not judging anyone who doesn't eat breakfast. I don't know why people are actually trying to contradict this. People have been told for years and years that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Most of us don't really listen or care, and that's fine! I'm just saying, this is the reason why they say that. I never even tried to tell anyone to eat breakfast. All I said was that I know we're SUPPOSED to eat it! And I'm done! Good luck to all of you!

The problem lies with the fact that so many people quote as fact that breakfast jumpstarts your metabolism, when in fact it is a myth perpetuated by the orange juice and breakfast cereal industries....as well as fitness writers. The article you referenced is just that, an article.....and the references it uses are just other articles and an advice column, even though they are on the Mayo Clinic and Columbia University sites. No actual studies. You said that there are "numerous studies" supporting this, do you have links to them? You told me to look them up, but after a brief search I found 2 that were funded by cereal companies and not much else.

Here are a couple articles , written by two extremely respected fitness nutrition experts debunking this myth. There are numerous actual scientific studies linked supporting the articles. The bottom line is that it takes a fast of at least 72-96hrs before the metabolism slows to any meaningful degree, it does not happen after an 8hr sleep. If you skip breakfast, your not going into starvation mode, your cortisol levels won't skyrocket, you're body won't start cannibalizing lean muscle tissue and your metabolism won't slow to a crawl....which is what a lot of articles state. The only fact that matters is what you caloric deficit/surplus is at the end of the day.....it doesn't matter when you eat those calories.

http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html#more-1389

Now all this being said, skipping breakfast isn't for everyone (ED, diabetics, those that get a ravenous appetite, those who have trouble working out on an empty stomach, etc.). It's just a method to keep calories in check....and it will not have harmful effects on metabolism or your health. (There is some anecdotal evidence that there are hormonal benefits to intermittent fasting, but it is not as of yet supported by actual studies).
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    I feel faint if I don't eat before working out. Usually something small like a granola bar or banana and a glass of water will do the trick for me.
  • IWantToo
    IWantToo Posts: 162
    Options
    I've tried this and saw no results plus it made me feel faint and sickly... I perfer to have something in my stomach before i do all that bouncing around, running and sweating.. or i just feel awful...