Has anyone lost weight WITHOUT reducing carbs?

Options

Replies

• VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Ive lost over a 100 lbs in the last year, and I still ate bread, rice, pasta, you name it! :]
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Carbs are so evil. I eat candy all day long, kids cereal, ice cream, omg here comes the beetus
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    hahah
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    *raises hand* GIRL I KNOW I HAVE TOLD YOU THIS!!!!!

lol My weight loss was done on 55% carbs. CARBS = FUEL. Your body NEEDS them.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    55lbs on around 200g of carbs a day.
  • kristasummers3
    Options
    better program for a clean diet , i found here http://fatlossfact.wordpress.com , i'm felling ok after i use the program and i lost a couple of pounds in 5 days , eating regularly each day ,i feel energized and its not a pain in the *kitten* to follow up .
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    bumping i need some hope
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Bump for later.

I've ALWAYS restricted my carbs as best possible but reading through some of these replies is inspiring me to let go a little and allow a little more carbs into my life. Bedtime for now. :)
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I lose eating "carbs" like veggies, fruits, hummus, whole grain bread, dark chocolate. I can sometimes have the white crust pizza or fro-yo, but it might stall me or make me gain water weight for a day. If I have them everyday, especially more than 1, I will not lose, even if is stick my my cals and macros.
  • 1yoyoKAT
    1yoyoKAT Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't even track carbs on my macros. I care about the number of calories, eating healthy food, and getting enough protein. It's working really well for me.
  • emelia_
    Options
    I run A LOT and reducing carbs would kill me! Carbs are the body's go to food source, it's important to have them in your diet otherwise you'll feel sluggish all day which (for me at least) leads to bad decisions when the sun goes down... Just make sure your calories are under control, a doughnut has a lot of carbs, but so does whole wheat pasta. All carbs are not equal, choose the right ones and you'll be fine :)
  • WeAreLegend
    WeAreLegend Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I find that when I stay away from carbs 2 hours or so before going to bed I get better weight loss numbers in the morning. There may actually be a scientific reason for this (I am a student pharmacist): carbs, especially "simple" carbs, spike insulin levels which do at least these 2 things to the body: they instruct your cells to store fat and they inhibit the release of glucagon, another chemical which actually tells your body to release its stored fat. So, which would you rather have floating around your blood stream while you sleep, insulin (store fat) or glucagon (release fat)? I personally prefer glucagon :)
  • krhn
    krhn Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    To be brutally honest, only bodybuilders and people who are below 10% Body fat really care about their macro intakes as each nutrient has the potential to change their visual physiques...

BUT, in general terms as long as your in a caloric deficit and don't sway too far off the chart macro wise, you can lose weight...
    Also its good to realise that each person reacts to different amounts differently, me for instance, since I eat rice daily (since birth - asian family :tongue: ), I have built up a very strong tolerance to eating high amounts of carbs and still maintain my weight... It'll be different for everyone.

Good Luck! :wink:
  • sun_ny
    sun_ny Posts: 35
    Options
    I love carbs too much to give them up. I'm only the second month in on this, but it's working so far and i've not restricted my carbs and I eat them regardless of the time of day or night. That being said, there are always options to reduce carbs/calories by choosing a healthier bread with less calories etc, these varieties make me feel like I am getting my carb hit anyway, so as long as you are not going over your weekly calorie allowance I can't see the point in stressing about carbs, if you don't eat them you as may as well be on the Atkins, which is not a long term sustainable way to lose or maintain weight loss.
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    A lot of people who think they are not reducing carbs actually are, without realising it. What happens is, they cut back on, say, pizza, or cakes, or french fries because they don't want the intake of fat and calories. But those items are also extremely carby, so giving them up for fat means the people "accidentally" eat fewer carbs.

The way some people write on here I am wondering what they ate before if they think eating pizza, pies, ice cream etc is a reducing diet! LOL
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    The way some people write on here I am wondering what they ate before if they think eating pizza, pies, ice cream etc is a reducing diet! LOL
    I'm guessing bigger portions of pizza, pies and ice cream.
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    A lot of people who think they are not reducing carbs actually are, without realising it. What happens is, they cut back on, say, pizza, or cakes, or french fries because they don't want the intake of fat and calories. But those items are also extremely carby, so giving them up for fat means the people "accidentally" eat fewer carbs.

This is true. Im not eating the amount of carbs I was, lets say, last year?
    I just try to stay within MFP's guidelines for carbs, for me. And not just fruits and veggie carbs..

Hope that helps ! :D
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of carbs and I've still lost weight
    carbs give you energy and reduce cravings
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I used to believe the myth that carbs are bad. Now I eat lots of carbs and have been losing tons of weights.

Carbs are not bad.
    Carbs are not bad.
    Carbs are not bad.

Repeat this until it sinks in!
  • marcee728
    Options
    YES!!! I have lost 65lbs and continue to lose and could never give up carbs. I have learned to eat the RIGHT carbs so that I get more bang for my buck, so to speak and stay fuller for longer without that carb hangover. There are different kinds of food groups because your body needs every one of them for something. Not giving your body what it needs for fuel will not allow you to perform at your best in any circumstance.