Does Coconut oil applied topically count as calories ?

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is called, "skinny drops". You will lose weight from eating it .

I found an article which you all should read because it says that when you EAT coconut oil you don't need to log the calories . This is because it isn't stored in our bodies, but is used as energy, raises ketones and helps release fat. It says you will lose weight from eating it. I am floored! I am excited! I didn't know this until now.

http://www.miracleskinnydrops.com/coconut-oil-and-mct-oil/

That's a terrible suggestion. If you eat coconut oil, you should absolutely log the calories. Wrong article is wrong.

MiracleSkinnyDrops - yeah..the name says it all. And by all, I mean - not reliable/believable.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lroud8TEgE1qhv98po1_500.gif
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Wait! I just read my shampoo bottle and it says ADDS BODY!!!!! Now I know why I am overweight! It's my shampoo and coconut oil!:noway:

then don't use it on your rear lol
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Just curious, does the coconut oil I use for dry skin, and in my hair, .... count toward calories?

I think it does. That's why a lot of times chefs get so fat. They are touching all that food.
    Must be this thread, but feels like it should be "cheves."
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is called, "skinny drops". You will lose weight from eating it .

I found an article which you all should read because it says that when you EAT coconut oil you don't need to log the calories . This is because it isn't stored in our bodies, but is used as energy, raises ketones and helps release fat. It says you will lose weight from eating it. I am floored! I am excited! I didn't know this until now.

http://www.miracleskinnydrops.com/coconut-oil-and-mct-oil/

That's a terrible suggestion. If you eat coconut oil, you should absolutely log the calories. Wrong article is wrong.

Considering they're talking about people doing hcg, they could probably use the extra calories.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Reliance on internet searches have been shown to make the populace less intelligent.
    It's true, google it if you don't believe it.
    It lessens one's ability to think critically.
  • Micahroni84
    Micahroni84 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    v1umY.gif

Me and David.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I hope you aren't serious! No one can lack that much common sense!
  • ohnstadk
    ohnstadk Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Come now. I understand the reasoning behing this question. It is absorbed by the skin. It is actually much more of an intelligent thought than all of you making fun of the OP.

So the next time I slather myself with spaghetti sauce, should I log it?

^^^^ I laughed so hard
  • HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I hope you aren't serious! No one can lack that much common sense!

Was thinking the same thing....gotta be a joke!
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    Aw man, does this mean I can go for a swim instead of drinking water? :laugh:
  • HollyHobbitToes
    HollyHobbitToes Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Aw man, does this mean I can go for a swim instead of drinking water? :laugh:

Where is the darn like button!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Reliance on internet searches have been shown to make the populace less intelligent.
    Or notice irony? :tongue:

AFAIK it lessens what is stored in memory when people are aware that it is somewhere that they can look it up. But that isn't critical thinking, that's memory.

Is there actually any evidence that critical thinking is reduced by access to information. Or is it just that stupid people now think they are smart because of the internet and are polluting samples?
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    1Ahf0rt.gif
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Seriously??
  • halobender
    Options
    That's sarcasm, not irony. Which is, in itself, still not ironic.
    AFAIK it lessens what is stored in memory when people are aware that it is somewhere that they can look it up. But that isn't critical thinking, that's memory.
    No, see ... it becomes a reliance on information being at your fingertips rather than thinking about it. While it can affect the memory, as well, it inhibits people from actually thinking about a problem/solution set and becomes more of a quest for the most appropriate Boolean search term, but lacking in determination skills as to what the most accurate and correct result is.
    Is there actually any evidence that critical thinking is reduced by access to information. Or is it just that stupid people now think they are smart because of the internet and are polluting samples?
    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/68059.html

If you don't think that it does, try reading a report written by a contemporary middle school or high school student. I'm not sure there's actual "evidence," as such, but the hypothesis exists. It's not to say you can't use search engines in a quest for information, but that you should be able to evaluate the validity of your sources. But it's also not limited to search engines and the internet; it could be said of relying solely on any particular source-type.

The link I provided above doesn't have any specific answer, but it's got some interesting ideas.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    That's sarcasm, not irony. Which is, in itself, still not ironic.
    Sarcasm contains irony. It is an ironic statement. If you're going to get that pedantic shouldn't you also point out the singular subject vs plural verb mismatch in the first quote?:laugh:

If you don't think that it does, try reading a report written by a contemporary middle school or high school student.
    That's just inviting confirmation bias. For starters, I remember my so-called peers in middle school, the vast majority of them possessed little to no critical thinking skills to begin with. Additionally, it's rather naive to assume that all middle school students who write reports do so with the goal of ensuring the greatest accuracy of their sources.
    I'm not sure there's actual "evidence," as such, but the hypothesis exists.

It sounds more like the "diet pop makes you fat" hypothesis, which skips the part where diet pop gives some people confidence that they're "eating healthy" so that they eat twice as many Big Macs and still overeat. The internet may be associated with decreased quality of research papers by students, but that doesn't mean it lessens one's ability to think critically. It ignores the confounding "it allows them to be lazy but feel like they've accomplished something" factor.
    It's not to say you can't use search engines in a quest for information, but that you should be able to evaluate the validity of your sources. But it's also not limited to search engines and the internet; it could be said of relying solely on any particular source-type.
    Researching requires intelligence to produce good results. You have to be able to comprehend the subject matter at least well enough to evaluate on your own whether or not a source is reliable. Someone who isn't intelligent enough (or doesn't have the prerequisite knowledge) to understand a particular subject is still not going to benefit from research regardless of their source.

My alternate hypothesis would be that the internet allows some people -- who otherwise would be too intimidated/lazy/stupid to use a library -- the illusion that they have access to truths and the confidence to post their "knowledge" thinking it's backed up by a source.

The link I provided above doesn't have any specific answer, but it's got some interesting ideas.
    Agreed. And it takes critical thinking to consider the potential value of those ideas. :happy:
  • halobender
    Options
    Hahaha, oh my gosh.

I can't continue. I won't be able to stop chuckling.

e; Sarcasm and irony are not the same; I can see where you may think it's an ironic statement, but it's not.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Hahaha, oh my gosh.

I can't continue. I won't be able to stop chuckling.

e; Sarcasm and irony are not the same; I can see where you may think it's an ironic statement, but it's not.
    You're assuming it can only be one thing or another. It depends on what level you are taking it. Picture Woody from Cheers saying it and maybe you'll get the right context. It was intended as self-deprecating "look I'm smart by saying this smart-sounding thing, even though it's actually a stupid thing to say and shows I'm not as smart as I think I am," (which is irony) yet obviously I already knew that before typing it in (which is sarcasm.) Which of the three layers of that statement were you referring to?

BTW thanks for ruining the joke by making me explain it. (That's sarcasm.) :tongue:
  • tifferz_91
    tifferz_91 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m3qcqlkXa51qj47y6_zps5da1c66a.gif

LMAO! Exactly how i feel! :laugh: