Anyone here a vegetarian/vegan?

Options
124»

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of meat, but I prefer animals when they are alive.

Agreed.

This! It sounds weird but I would never eat a dog for example so why should a chicken or a cow be any different. I do not agree with how the majority of animals raised for food are treated and slaughtered... this is one reason I choose to become vegetarian. I didn't do it for health reasons as you can be an very unhealthy vegetarian. Any diet can be healthy or not depending on what you choose to eat

I still cook meat though since my husband still eats it. He doesnt' eat it nearly as often but I still cook him meat. I just ensure there is something else in the meal I would eat.

My favourite meal recently has been spaghetti squash mixed with some spaghettini and spinach along with some olive oil and spices. So good! I also love hummus and pita chips (homemade) as a small meal. It was rough at first trying to come up with healthy meals but you get used to it.. now I love trying new combos
  • Faith2Bfit
    Faith2Bfit Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Im not a vegetarian but easily could be. I love pasta made with all veg and no meat and my favorite meal would have to be Amy's Kitchen Tamale Verde :)
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of meat, but I prefer animals when they are alive.

Agreed.

This! It sounds weird but I would never eat a dog for example so why should a chicken or a cow be any different. I do not agree with how the majority of animals raised for food are treated and slaughtered... this is one reason I choose to become vegetarian. I didn't do it for health reasons as you can be an very unhealthy vegetarian. Any diet can be healthy or not depending on what you choose to eat

I still cook meat though since my husband still eats it. He doesnt' eat it nearly as often but I still cook him meat. I just ensure there is something else in the meal I would eat.

My favourite meal recently has been spaghetti squash mixed with some spaghettini and spinach along with some olive oil and spices. So good! I also love hummus and pita chips (homemade) as a small meal. It was rough at first trying to come up with healthy meals but you get used to it.. now I love trying new combos

VegPosters-1.jpg
  • EmiBun
    EmiBun Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Vegan :)
    I watched a few documentaries that freaked me out so I just went with what I knew I was never probably going to touch again and it lead me here :)
  • rkray3
    rkray3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm an ovo-lacto-pescetarian (sounds so complicated) - primarily plant based though I do eat eggs and dairy, and have fish about once a month. I became a vegeterian almost five months ago for ethical reasons that can be explained pretty much by the photo a couple of posts above mine. I loved meat, but I would think about how much I love my four dogs, and realize they are not that much different from a cow. The decision became pretty easy after that. I would have to say I don't miss meat at all - my diet has become SO much more varied since I quit eating meat! I did struggle with getting enough protein at first, but that has improved.

I have lots of vegetarian recipes pinned on Pinterest - here is my vegetarian page:

http://pinterest.com/rkray3/vegetarian/

The goat cheese and zucchini enchiladas are amazing.

And I have a lot of soup and stew recipes here:

http://pinterest.com/rkray3/soups-stews-and-chilis/

The Spicy African Peanut Stew is one of the best things I've ever made.

Not all are vegetarian as I started the board before I quit eating meat.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    I'm an ovo-lacto-pescetarian (sounds so complicated) - primarily plant based though I do eat eggs and dairy, and have fish about once a month. I became a vegeterian almost five months ago for ethical reasons that can be explained pretty much by the photo a couple of posts above mine. I loved meat, but I would think about how much I love my four dogs, and realize they are not that much different from a cow. The decision became pretty easy after that. I would have to say I don't miss meat at all - my diet has become SO much more varied since I quit eating meat! I did struggle with getting enough protein at first, but that has improved.

I have lots of vegetarian recipes pinned on Pinterest - here is my vegetarian page:

What makes fish any different than a cow, chicken, pig, dog, cat, horse, whatever animal? I'm curious as there are far too many people who classify themselves as a vegetarian due to their issues with eating meat but than still eat fish.... I'm not sure what the idfference is.
  • spinnybecky
    Options
    I'm vegan out of compassion for animals.
  • rkray3
    rkray3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

What makes fish any different than a cow, chicken, pig, dog, cat, horse, whatever animal? I'm curious as there are far too many people who classify themselves as a vegetarian due to their issues with eating meat but than still eat fish.... I'm not sure what the idfference is.

That is a totally fair question, and I'm not sure I can answer it even to my own satisfaction! I used to have a friend who ate similarly, and she said she wouldn't eat anything she wouldn't kill herself. I admit it seems hypocritical to some degree - just because fish aren't cute and fluffy means they're okay to eat? I may eventually stop eating fish, too, but that will be much harder than giving up meat.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

That is a totally fair question, and I'm not sure I can answer it even to my own satisfaction! I used to have a friend who ate similarly, and she said she wouldn't eat anything she wouldn't kill herself. I admit it seems hypocritical to some degree - just because fish aren't cute and fluffy means they're okay to eat? I may eventually stop eating fish, too, but that will be much harder than giving up meat.

Makes sense.

I never understood the concept. With your friend, I'm not sure why she thinks it's ok to kill a fish but not a cow or pig.. just seems weird to me.. but whatever works for each person.