Doing cardio with out gaining muscle...

Options

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Cardio BURNS muscle in the morning and BUILDS muscle in the evenings.

Just make sure you're doing it at the right time, and you'll be fine.
    Oh LORD, I really hope this was sarcasm.....:noway:
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    So basically if i have a calorie deficit and do sa 2 hours of running a week will I still loose the 1 lb a week loss?

You may not be able to lose 1lb per week depending on how much you have left to lose. Trying to lose too much too quickly will result in muscle loss.

When you are on a calorie deficit and doing cardio (or even just a deficit alone) you will lose muscle along with fat and water.

If you want to lower your body fat % you have to do cycles... build muscle than cut fat. The best way to lower your body fat % is to build muscle. More muscle means a higher metabolism. Less muscle means a lower metabolism and results in skinny fat.

You will not gain muscle while in a calorie deficit. Especially as a woman. With all conditions right (eating at a surplus, lifting heavy weights, maxing out on protein) a woman can gain maybe 0.5lb a month of muscle.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I think this is the problem you need to address more than anything else.
    I need the scales for motivation, If i dont see just small drop i just lose motivation and binge the next day... hope this makes sense?

Probably...

No EXACTLY the problem. Nip it quick. You can't expect the scale to tell you everything. Body fluctuates so I would rather pay attention to measurements but not abscess about it. That's a bad habit .
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options

Hahahahahhahahahahhahahahaaaa!

I spit coffee all over the place... Lol
  • emma155
    emma155 Posts: 152
    Options
    So basically if i have a calorie deficit and do sa 2 hours of running a week will I still loose the 1 lb a week loss?

You may not be able to lose 1lb per week depending on how much you have left to lose. Trying to lose too much too quickly will result in muscle loss.

When you are on a calorie deficit and doing cardio (or even just a deficit alone) you will lose muscle along with fat and water.

If you want to lower your body fat % you have to do cycles... build muscle than cut fat. The best way to lower your body fat % is to build muscle. More muscle means a higher metabolism. Less muscle means a lower metabolism and results in skinny fat.

You will not gain muscle while in a calorie deficit. Especially as a woman. With all conditions right (eating at a surplus, lifting heavy weights, maxing out on protein) a woman can gain maybe 0.5lb a month of muscle.

I see, half a pound a month would be ok, this would not interfere too much my my measuring... :)
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

I see, half a pound a month would be ok, this would not interfere too much my my measuring... :)

In order to gain 0.5lb of muscle in a month you have to eat at a surplus.. and lift heavy weights. A calorie deficit will not allow you to build muscle.

Should you want to build muscle stay off the scales... you will gain... but your measurements will eventaully go down.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating a surplus of calories, you are going to have a difficult time building significant bulk muscle. You can, however, tone up and develop lean muscle. Also, cardio does not tend to cause much muscle gain since there is generally no significant increase in resistance. To build muscle, resistance training is a must.
  • now_or_never13
    Options

You're kidding right?

Regardless of when you do cardio you will not build muscle. I don't know where you got this "info" from...
  • emma155
    Options
    Maybe I should keep going as I am (only using food deficit to loose weight) then once i hit my plateau I shall do exercise to mix it up?
  • lglg11
    lglg11 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I think this is the problem you need to address more than anything else.
    I need the scales for motivation, If i dont see just small drop i just lose motivation and binge the next day... hope this makes sense?

Probably...

No EXACTLY the problem. Nip it quick. You can't expect the scale to tell you everything. Body fluctuates so I would rather pay attention to measurements but not abscess about it. That's a bad habit .

Ahhh co-dependent to the scale .. its a disease , I've been there .. depending on the scale to make you happy and keep you motivated . There is a 12 step program for this :)

I agree with all those saying to put the scale away . Use your measuring tape , results will be slow so depend on yourself and your badassery to stay motivated
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

I guess I am doing it wrong then:laugh: :mad:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Why don't you set fitness goals instead of weight goals? It sounds like you are running, so set goals to run farther and faster. This way, you still have your motivation, but now over something that more directly reflects your efforts.
  • now_or_never13
    Options
    Maybe I should keep going as I am (only using food deficit to loose weight) then once i hit my plateau I shall do exercise to mix it up?

Decide what kind of body you want and go from there.

Losing weight is great... you can get to your goal weight but you may still not be happy with how you look due to lack of muscle.

Mix things up along the way so you don't plateau. A plateau doesn't always have to happen when you try to lose weight. If you mix things up along the way you can avoid a plateau from happening.
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Ok I understand what you are saying, but for me its about loosing motivation, its always been my problem with dieting, I find I need to measure so I can tell my self im doing well.... it may sound strange to some people but for some it must make sense?????

You can use a tape measure.

Or, buy an outfit you'd like to be able to wear. Try it on every week to see if it feels a bit more comfortable. I do that with jeans sometimes. Today, I'm wearing a pair that wouldn't go past my thighs a month ago.
  • emma155
    Options
    hmmmmmm..... bad bad scale :(
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    traditionally cardio isn't seen as mass building.

but building or lossing mass is far more about what you eat. You can be on a heavy weight training program, but if your eating at a defecit, you're not going to gain mass.

you might 'develope' the muslce, you may even get stronger, but you wont add mass.

I've been going p90x for two months. I measured my bicep in the beginning of the program and it was 13.5''. Looking in the mirror, my arms sure LOOK bigger. I've been eating less calories then i've been burning for two months. I knew logically they shouldn't have grown, but they definetly looked like they did, and i was certainly lifting heavier weights...

... so i thought what the hell, i'm measure them again, yup, still 13.5 inches exactly. i suspect something similair happens with your legs, they are not acutally gaining mass but as they become more 'fit' there is an illusion of fullness or mass. or your not eating at a defecit.

No my friend, you are just losing body fat. Look at my pic. I have somewhat low body fat and I look bigger than what I am in real life. Lower Body Fat makes you look bigger. That's why many think they are gaining muscle when they are not. Unless of course you check your weight, BF%, etc.
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It makes sence, I have always been like this, if it makes you feel any better; as soon as I started running I lost the pounds (10 lbs in 6 weeks) combined with a calorie intake of 1.000 calories which is quite drastic but Ive eaten healthy and allowed some 'off days'.

Although, i do feel like my legs have toned/tightened, which is what I was scared of but if anything it has made them look thinner! x
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Oh LORD, I really hope this was sarcasm.....:noway:

+1. I hope she was joking.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    The thing is I would'nt mind just gaining a bit of muscle on my legs etc but thing is I need the scales for motivation, If i dont see just small drop i just lose motivation and binge the next day... hope this makes sense?
    No, this doesn't make any sense. Seek professional counseling, because you have issues to work out.