Doing cardio with out gaining muscle...

Options

Replies

• emma155
    emma155 Posts: 152
    Options
    Ok I understand what you are saying, but for me its about loosing motivation, its always been my problem with dieting, I find I need to measure so I can tell my self im doing well.... it may sound strange to some people but for some it must make sense?????

You can use a tape measure.

Or, buy an outfit you'd like to be able to wear. Try it on every week to see if it feels a bit more comfortable. I do that with jeans sometimes. Today, I'm wearing a pair that wouldn't go past my thighs a month ago.

Very interesting and good on you!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My goodness these replies are scary. They would be funny if it weren't for them intending to be serious and helpful.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Cardio BURNS muscle in the morning and BUILDS muscle in the evenings.

Just make sure you're doing it at the right time, and you'll be fine.
    Oh LORD, I really hope this was sarcasm.....:noway:

+1. I hope she was joking.

This is a serious forum; it is no place for jokes.

I don't know why so many people here are so ready to jump on everything they disagree with, wow. Buncha bullies.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Maybe I should keep going as I am (only using food deficit to loose weight) then once i hit my plateau I shall do exercise to mix it up?

You'll likely lost faster if you do cardio. Even if you do experience newbie muscle gains, which isn't all that likely at your age with cardio only, the faster fat loss from cardio will still likely cause you to lose lbs and inches more quickly.
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Cardio BURNS muscle in the morning and BUILDS muscle in the evenings.

Just make sure you're doing it at the right time, and you'll be fine.
    Oh LORD, I really hope this was sarcasm.....:noway:

+1. I hope she was joking.

I don't know why so many people here are so ready to jump on everything they disagree with, wow. Buncha bullies.

:flowerforyou:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Unless you are eating a surplus of calories, you are going to have a difficult time building significant bulk muscle. You can, however, tone up and develop lean muscle. Also, cardio does not tend to cause much muscle gain since there is generally no significant increase in resistance. To build muscle, resistance training is a must.
    All muscle is lean. There is no such thing as "toning up." Muscle either grows or shrinks. It does not change shape or length.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Suggest you look into doing some hiit running alongside some sort of strength training.
    That will combine cardio and retain some muscle, and there are enough women on here doing weight training who have lost a lot of inches to stand as evidence that you don't get bulky with weight training. And hiit is a great fat burner. I personally do 1 minute sprinting at 16km/hr then 2 minutes walking, repeat and rinse for 20 minutes, then you are done. Do that a few times a week and some weight training 3 times a week, keep in a calorie deficit and you will see the inches come off. However, if all you care about is the number on a scale that no one else cares about or notices, then just diet and run your legs off.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Sorry you think you're being "BULLIED", but its quite ridiculous to imply that the time of day a person does cardio has anything to do with muscle gains or loss...

If you have some kind of research that supports the theory, please feel free to post that, but as general advice, its just laughable!
  • emma155
    Options
    Such mixed responses..... I have always used cardio before to lose weight but for some reason i just thought.. you use muscle to move meaning you use muscle to run which means running would build muscle and building mescle means weight gain? Just a thought.. Ill prob not worry too much about it.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Of all the silly things to worry about this is the silliest :D
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I think this is the problem you need to address more than anything else.
    I need the scales for motivation, If i dont see just small drop i just lose motivation and binge the next day... hope this makes sense?

Probably...

You would be better off seeing your results in the mirror and in measurements not numbers on the scale.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    If you are that obsessed about weight that it is more important than exercising for health, then I suggest you seek the help of a psychologist or professional as this sounds more a mental health issue than anything else.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Such mixed responses..... I have always used cardio before to lose weight but for some reason i just thought.. you use muscle to move meaning you use muscle to run which means running would build muscle and building mescle means weight gain? Just a thought.. Ill prob not worry too much about it.

You do not gain weight unless energy intake exceeds energy needs.
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Sorry you think you're being "BULLIED", but its quite ridiculous to imply that the time of day a person does cardio has anything to do with muscle gains or loss...

If you have some kind of research that supports the theory, please feel free to post that, but as general advice, its just laughable!

Climb down! She's having a laugh!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what are your goals?

lose body fat? lose more weight? build stregnth etc..?

Once you answer this then you should be able to get some better answers to your inquiry....

I want to lose body fat from my face, legs, hips and waist... so basically every where (I realise you cant lose weight off any particular part)
    The thing is I would'nt mind just gaining a bit of muscle on my legs etc but thing is I need the scales for motivation, If i dont see just small drop i just lose motivation and binge the next day... hope this makes sense?

You need to find a way to either put the scale away for a while or learn to use other metrics to gauge your progress.
    How often do you weigh yourself?

I weigh my self once a week, I am def going to start using the tape measure.

if you want to lose body fat then you should go to some kind of total body work out program three days a week ...squats, deadlifts, over head press, chins/pulls etc, and then two days a week do cardio ...on the weight trainng try to life weights that are challenging in the 6-10 rep range..

good luck to you ..
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

Serious question, what is the problem with building muscle and increasing your weight? If you follow your measurements or keep track of your BF%, it's not a bad thing. Fat takes more space so even when your weight goes up, you will likely look thinner and a lot stronger. A good training program includes both resistance and cardio. Cardio is overrated IMO. It's fun though.

Besides, I am yet to see a woman that lifts weights that doesn't look great. HUGE difference between a lady that lifts and one that doesn't. And I am not talking about female bodybuilders. They do things that are way of the goals of the average woman.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    you use muscle to move meaning you use muscle to run which means running would build muscle and building mescle means weight gain?

Correct if you have a calorie surplus.

Even then it would be limited (unless you followed a very specific routine which incorporated lots of hill work, sprints etc.)

If you embark on a new exercise regime when in a calorie deficit you may see a temporary increase on the scale due to water retention necessary for muscle repair. That does not mean however that either your fat mass has increased or your muscle mass.
  • emmielaur27
    emmielaur27 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Measure your waist, I did a fitness competition based on fat lose, the scale and all other ways to measure fat loss showed awful progress. We were weighed in on a very accurate computer based scale but had no access to this for 8 weeks, in the end I lost 10 inches from my waist, 20 lbs and 13 % body fat when I was assessed at the end. I shy away from the scale and measure my waist every 5 days or so.
  • emma155
    Options

Serious question, what is the problem with building muscle and increasing your weight? If you follow your measurements or keep track of your BF%, it's not a bad thing. Fat takes more space so even when your weight goes up, you will likely look thinner and a lot stronger. A good training program includes both resistance and cardio. Cardio is overrated IMO. It's fun though.

Besides, I am yet to see a woman that lifts weights that doesn't look great. HUGE difference between a lady that lifts and one that doesn't. And I am not talking about female bodybuilders. They do things that are way of the goals of the average woman.

How can i measure my body fat?
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

How can i measure my body fat?

Calipers. Or you can track by taking measurements.