calories and weight loss

Options

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    just stay on the MFP calorie goal and u will lose weight!
  • jamesagnew717
    Options

Hi,

I would like to start this discussion on the topic of the word CALORIES and how it has become one of the most discussed terms of gauging our weight , we use the term calories to discuss our energy needs for our day, but why should we believe this word. i would like to know your thoughts below

did you read this post guys ?

at the start i said i want to discuss the word calories and how its gauging our weight loss

up to now, i have had nobody really agree with me

so it looks like you have all been brainwashed true enough by this word,

my conclusion is that this word is so powerful that people may never wake up to the truth,

i wish you all well

i am ending this discussion at this point

have a nice day all

You don't make sense and make ridiculous statements, your topic is calories and weight loss and it's turned into "James hates sugar" You've hi-jacked your own post, and you're a troll

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic

Good luck with that :flowerforyou:

i am sorry

how can i hijack my own thread ?

i am staying on topic. its about weight loss, and its about understanding calories :noway:

but i don't know what a troll is , does it have any sugar in it :bigsmile:

what i am trying to bring across here is that we label sugar as a calorie , but i dont think we should call it a calorie , it should not be in our eating plans unless its chains of sugars such as starch sugars from lentils, beans, and simple sugars in fruit, if its a processed sugar in any way dont eat it therefore you dont have to worry about that type of food or calorie

im getting tired of this subject now, and its run on too long i think :yawn:

it seems we will never be able to change our ways of thinking
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing - it IS, 100%, without any doubt, factually correct to say that gaining or losing weight is reliant on absolutely nothing else than calories in vs. calories out. If you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain. If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose. No ifs, ands, or buts. Doesn't matter where the calories IN come from. Yes, some foods make it easier to overeat, and some foods may make you crave other foods or impact your motivation, and some foods make overestimation of calories easier, but it still comes down to the same principle.

HOWEVER, I think that we often overlook all of the different ways that our calories OUT can be variable from person to person and even day to day. BMRs and RMRs and TDEEs can vary widely, even between 2 people with the same height, weight, fitness level and activity level. Plus, different types of foods do impact how your body reacts to them. Some types of foods support keeping our bodies running in a more efficient fashion, and provide more energy for improved workouts. Some types of food bog us down. It's all about finding what approach works best for each individual.
    This - also, the way we take those calories in can affect calories out.

For instance, if I'm on a good deficit, I find I'm more lethargic (I feel happier drinking less coke zero when eating on a surplus) and on a deficit over time, I find I get much colder at night once below 185 pounds or so. Have to wear pyjamas with the heating on, where otherwise I'd be fine in boxers. Have an individual thermostat in my room so the temperature stays constant regardless.
    It would seem in these cases my by body is burning less calories.
    Of course, I'm sure there are plenty of other factors - such as protein, especially as I'm doing a decent bit of weights at the moment - if I was eating less protein and more fat/carbs, I'd probably find more of my food going to fat and less going to rebuilding muscle.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    this is what i think about calories

i think a calorie is not actually a calorie,

confused ?

well lets take a look at this,

lets say we have a bagel for breakfast with a yogurt and some fruit, maybe a banana 9am

then for lunch we have a salad with salad dressing and chicken with a Vienna bread 1 pm

then for diner we have a burger and fries 5pm

say it comes to 2000 calories for this food a day,

then we look at someone who has oatmeal for breakfast, 9am

snacks on fruit 11 am

for lunch had sweet potato and lentil soup with a side of salad no dressing,

more fruit around 3 pm

dinner has 2 sweet potato salad with chicken breast 5pm

more fruit around 7 pm

say this comes to around 1500 calories

do we assume that the person who eat the first meal is eating more calories and will be overweight, and the person who is eating the second meal and less calories will lose weight

or is it just the fact that the first meal had more sugar content in it and was more likely to spike insulin levels ?

my personal opinion is that the second meal could have had more calories and the first meal less but the first meal would still make you fat due to the sugar

so what are we really talking about when it comes it weight loss ?

is it the sugar content or the calories, or is it trying to get both in balance ?

This makes no sense. You are just comparing two meals, one higher in calories - that has nothing to do with whether or not a person will gain or lose weight by eating those meals.
    it depends who the person is, their age, height, weight, body fat, activity level, etc. Not only that, but how many calories are they eating each week, not on just one day.
    If a person needs x amount of calories per day to live, and they eat 1000 calories over that number every single day, then they will most likely gain weight - but you can't assume that either because every person is different.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

what i am trying to bring across here is that we label sugar as a calorie , but i dont think we should call it a calorie , it should not be in our eating plans unless its chains of sugars such as starch sugars from lentils, beans, and simple sugars in fruit, if its a processed sugar in any way dont eat it therefore you dont have to worry about that type of food or calorie

People are not labeling sugar a calorie. Sugar has a calorie content, which is different. Also, I'm really confused by your insisting that everyone is "brainwashed" about calories. I learned the word calorie when I was in about 3rd grade and it had nothing to do with weight loss. It's a unit of energy, not a perpetuated myth.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Also:
    http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-science-of-nutrition-is-a-carb-a-carb.html

With sources.

Suggests that if you're generally fit, you may as well get your calories from sugar as from more complex carbs.
  • jamesagnew717
    Options

confused ?

lets say we have a bagel for breakfast with a yogurt and some fruit, maybe a banana 9am

then for lunch we have a salad with salad dressing and chicken with a Vienna bread 1 pm

snacks on fruit 11 am

more fruit around 3 pm

more fruit around 7 pm

do we assume that the person who eat the first meal is eating more calories and will be overweight, and the person who is eating the second meal and less calories will lose weight

or is it just the fact that the first meal had more sugar content in it and was more likely to spike insulin levels ?

my personal opinion is that the second meal could have had more calories and the first meal less but the first meal would still make you fat due to the sugar

is it the sugar content or the calories, or is it trying to get both in balance ?

This makes no sense. You are just comparing two meals, one higher in calories - that has nothing to do with whether or not a person will gain or lose weight by eating those meals.
    it depends who the person is, their age, height, weight, body fat, activity level, etc. Not only that, but how many calories are they eating each week, not on just one day.
    If a person needs x amount of calories per day to live, and they eat 1000 calories over that number every single day, then they will most likely gain weight - but you can't assume that either because every person is different.

it makes perfect sense

i am showing you an example of what we do to ourselves

we count the calories yes ?

do we even bother to count the sugar ? no we don't, we just say its fine because it has this amount of calories

this is what i am trying to bring across,

the human body will turn high amounts of sugar that's been processed into fat because its an overload to the blood , the blood will not be able to handle this amount of sugar so it calls on the insulin to help remove some of this to your fat cells,

whats a high amount of sugar intake ? well i would say anything above 5 grams of sugar is a high intake of sugar at the one time, this will cause the insulin levels to go higher, and stay elevated, then when you eat later in the day the insulin levels are remaining high with the more sugar intake you have , this is what can lead to type 2 diabetes, this is no laughing matter guys

so what i am saying is that you can eat say 1000 calories a day and it could be processed sugar foods like white breads and potato chips and cola, all the high sugar crap and gain weight, and you can eat 2000 calories of good foods like sweat potato lentils soups, vegetables, beans, salads, nuts, all this good stuff and your insulin will not go high at all, you will keep it stable and allow the free fatty acids in your fat cells to be released

i can only hope that you get some education from what i am sharing

all the best guys
  • Jerodhold
    Options
    @Jamesagnew717 sorry but you are don't know what you are talking about, I eat pleanty of processed sugars thru out the day normally around 100 grams or so and I gain no fat what so ever, and I've always eating like this and I've never been fat, if eating lots of sugar makes you fat then why do I not weight 300lbs?
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    First of all, you just joined, so maybe you are not aware that you can monitor your sugar intake with this site, its not just about calories. Also, some people have different needs that they monitor. For example, some have high blood pressure and they monitor how much sodium or salt, that they take in, in addition to calories. Others, monitor fat intake, others sugar, etc. It sounds like you think sugar is from the Devil and you can eat everything else and will still lose weight.

Well, its not true. Its a good idea to monitor sugar, but the point is this: this site is to help people lose weight, track their food intake, and get tips on nutrition, exercise, etc. Everyone does not have the same goals as you. Honestly, you sound frustrated, especially in your comments about cancer. I don't know if you've lost anyone to cancer, but I have. I'm aware of much of what you say, but it is NOT related to counting calories, its a totally different subject as far as people who choose to eat more alkaline as opposed to acidic does not always equal a weight loss.

So, having said that, try to respect the desires and food goals of others, and also calling people "brainwashed" is a sure way of getting people's hackles up, and not a good way to get your point across. There's an old saying, you get more bees with honey than with vinegar.....
  • jamesagnew717
    Options
    jerodhold

again i will say this,

this thread was on the word calories

and how we all look at it, if you can eat all the processed sugars you like and lose weight then that's fine,

but I would like to just say that i don't agree with this, you must be working out a lot then for your body to be burning the processed sugars , that's my take on it,

but we all have our own ways of looking at this calorie word, and thats ok, but for some people , they are really struggling to lose weight, and the extra hiden sugars could be causing them problems in my opinion
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    it makes perfect sense

do we even bother to count the sugar ? no we don't, we just say its fine because it has this amount of calories

the human body will turn high amounts of sugar that's been processed into fat because its an overload to the blood , the blood will not be able to handle this amount of sugar so it calls on the insulin to help remove some of this to your fat cells,

ok, so lets say you eat more sugar than your "blood" can handle and your body converts the sugar to fat (very simplistic view/scenario). I'm with you so far - your body is functioning correctly. That is the purpose of fat - to store excess ENERGY. However, you keep going throughout your day and that fat you just made is going to be burned off as you use the energy AS LONG AS you to not eat an excess of energy for the day. It is all about balancing intake versus expenditure.
    whats a high amount of sugar intake ? well i would say anything above 5 grams of sugar is a high intake of sugar at the one time, this will cause the insulin levels to go higher, and stay elevated, then when you eat later in the day the insulin levels are remaining high with the more sugar intake you have , this is what can lead to type 2 diabetes, this is no laughing matter guys

so what i am saying is that you can eat say 1000 calories a day and it could be processed sugar foods like white breads and potato chips and cola, all the high sugar crap and gain weight, and you can eat 2000 calories of good foods like sweat potato lentils soups, vegetables, beans, salads, nuts, all this good stuff and your insulin will not go high at all, you will keep it stable and allow the free fatty acids in your fat cells to be released

BS... If you gain weight on 1000 calories, it is water weight. Even humoring you and saying that it is real fat gain on 1000 calories, if you gain at that level, then you are going to gain even faster at 2000 calories.

Please quit trying to get people on your white foods bandwagon. It just is not correct and has absolutely no basis.

all the best guys

I don't think I want this education...
  • jamesagnew717
    Options
    First of all, you just joined, so maybe you are not aware that you can monitor your sugar intake with this site, its not just about calories. Also, some people have different needs that they monitor. For example, some have high blood pressure and they monitor how much sodium or salt, that they take in, in addition to calories. Others, monitor fat intake, others sugar, etc. It sounds like you think sugar is from the Devil and you can eat everything else and will still lose weight.

Well, its not true. Its a good idea to monitor sugar, but the point is this: this site is to help people lose weight, track their food intake, and get tips on nutrition, exercise, etc. Everyone does not have the same goals as you. Honestly, you sound frustrated, especially in your comments about cancer. I don't know if you've lost anyone to cancer, but I have. I'm aware of much of what you say, but it is NOT related to counting calories, its a totally different subject as far as people who choose to eat more alkaline as opposed to acidic does not always equal a weight loss.

So, having said that, try to respect the desires and food goals of others, and also calling people "brainwashed" is a sure way of getting people's hackles up, and not a good way to get your point across. There's an old saying, you get more bees with honey than with vinegar.....

its the word calorie thats getting to me

because its trying to make us think that the body will use the food we place in our mouths the same way, but this is just not the case ,

why do we eat ?

we eat to give our blood energy so it can be transferred to the parts of our body's that need the energy , yes ?

so does it really matter about the calorie content ? its what it does when its inside us that counts, if it enters us and causes problems with our blood sugar then we have to look at this food and decide if its best to avoid it in the first place,

if it the food enters us and does its job then we dont have to worry about it

so why take the food that is causing the problems when you can eat the food that does the job its supposed to do ?

i it maybe because of artificial flavorings in foods and sweet tasting foods are just too good to resist ?

there is just so many problems with food its killing us from the inside out,

this is why i believe we should take a look at this word calories because its tricking us and making us sick in my honest opinion,

but people will just do what they want if they see results, they are not too concerned about there health it seems
  • CM9178
    Options

confused ?

snacks on fruit 11 am

more fruit around 3 pm

more fruit around 7 pm

it makes perfect sense

all the best guys
    You started this "discussion" about discussing the word calorie.
    Now you are talking about what sugar does to us.

Also, who ever said we don't count how much sugar we have? Many of us track sugars, myself included and again - it depends on the person how much sugar they can eat without it affecting their weight gain or loss.
    I know plenty of people who eat processed sugar foods and don't gain weight or have any kind of weight problem, insulin problem or anything else like that. It depends on the person, their family medical history and a ton of other factors.
  • CM9178
    Options

because its trying to make us think that the body will use the food we place in our mouths the same way, but this is just not the case ,

why do we eat ?

we eat to give our blood energy so it can be transferred to the parts of our body's that need the energy , yes ?

so does it really matter about the calorie content ? its what it does when its inside us that counts, if it enters us and causes problems with our blood sugar then we have to look at this food and decide if its best to avoid it in the first place,

so why take the food that is causing the problems when you can eat the food that does the job its supposed to do ?

i it maybe because of artificial flavorings in foods and sweet tasting foods are just too good to resist ?

this is why i believe we should take a look at this word calories because its tricking us and making us sick in my honest opinion,

but people will just do what they want if they see results, they are not too concerned about there health it seems

If you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight. Period. So yes, the number of calories you eat DOES matter, just as much as what those calories consist of.

Will you gain weight if you eat more calories than you burn? YES
    Will you gain weight if you eat a lot of processed sugars? Maybe

If the answer to that was 100% yes, then every single person in the world who eats processed sugars would be overweight and that is simply not the case.
  • Jerodhold
    Options
    jerodhold

again i will say this,

this thread was on the word calories

and how we all look at it, if you can eat all the processed sugars you like and lose weight then that's fine,

but I would like to just say that i don't agree with this, you must be working out a lot then for your body to be burning the processed sugars , that's my take on it,

but we all have our own ways of looking at this calorie word, and thats ok, but for some people , they are really struggling to lose weight, and the extra hiden sugars could be causing them problems in my opinion

No this thread is not about the word calorie, it may have sorta started about that, but then you go and start attacking processed sugar. I've read through the whole thread and what I get from it is you think processed sugar is of the devil and makes people fat and causes cancer. A calorie is energy, no matter if it comes from sugar, fat, or protein. And as long as you use that energy in some way it will not be stored as fat. So if I ate 100 grams of sugar and ran for 5 miles all sugar would be used up and I would not get fat. And I don't think I work out as much as most people, 30-50 minutes of lifting 5 days a week and I pretty much sit on my butt the rest of the day. I find sugar an important part of my nutrition. Sugar is not the problem, eating more then you burn (any type of food) and laziness is the problem. Eat whatever you want and do some sort of exercise and you should be fine. I used to eat nothing but Mcdonalds, breakfast, lunch and dinner and I never broke 135lbs cuz I skateboarded for hours a day, yeah the stuffs not that great for you but my body still used the food as energy when I was active and I never gained weight.
  • jamesagnew717
    Options

why do we eat ?

If you eat more calories than you burn, you will gain weight. Period. So yes, the number of calories you eat DOES matter, just as much as what those calories consist of.

If the answer to that was 100% yes, then every single person in the world who eats processed sugars would be overweight and that is simply not the case.

well it seems we can all agree to disagree,

but if you where to look at your blood under a microscope if your eating processed sugar meals all the time , you would see that it would cause problems the blood cells would be sticking together, this is not good for your health as a human being,

lets say you where to look at your blood when you are eating better foods, nuts, beans, salads, fruits,

you would see that your blood is more clean and its not sticking together, your health would dramatically increase and the chance for disease in slim

what state would you rather be in ?

think about it, its not just weight loss , your health is at risk eating all processed sugars FACT
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options

why do we eat ?

There are many people on this site, including myself, who are NOT just concerned with weight loss. Many here try to eat as healthy as we can, avoiding artificial preservatives and other chemicals. I personally love to get my food from Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, and I agree that I feel better when I eat healthier food.

However, I think you are confused. Calories is just a measure of the QUANTITY of food not the QUALITY. For example, if I eat all organic, but I eat 3,000 calories a day, I will gain weight. I have to eat an amount that is a deficit for MY body, to lose weight, regardless of whether the food is healthy or not, understand???
  • Jerodhold
    Options
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

why do we eat ?

but if you where to look at your blood under a microscope if your eating processed sugar meals all the time , you would see that it would cause problems the blood cells would be sticking together, this is not good for your health as a human being,

lets say you where to look at your blood when you are eating better foods, nuts, beans, salads, fruits,

you would see that your blood is more clean and its not sticking together, your health would dramatically increase and the chance for disease in slim

think about it, its not just weight loss , your health is at risk eating all processed sugars FACT

But who's doing that? Who is living on ONLY Lucky Charms and soda for months at a time? Your argument is stupid because the examples you give don't happen in real life. I can talk about how bad it would be for someone who was only eating strawberries all day every day too, but no one really does that.
  • CM9178
    Options

why do we eat ?

So those people who eat processed sugars and aren't overweight and are perfectly healthy and live until they are 90 years old.. are they aliens then?