calories and weight loss

Options

Replies

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Calorie is a unit of energy... what other word would you like to use?

Or maybe I don't understand the question.

You want to get rich? you need to earn more money than you spend, right? Is money not the right word? Are we brainwashed there too?

want to get fat, eat more sugar than you need lol

Want to get fat...eat more calories than you burn....
  • jamesagnew717
    Options
    But who's doing that? Who is living on ONLY Lucky Charms and soda for months at a time? Your argument is stupid because the examples you give don't happen in real life. I can talk about how bad it would be for someone who was only eating strawberries all day every day too, but no one really does that.
    [/quote]

its not an argument,

its FACT

we can not look at all calories the same, because the word calorie, is actually talking about what the food does inside your body as its converted into energy , and we all know that processed sugars will cause mayhem in the body , so the calories they provide are not good enough to sustain us , but make us only feel more hungry FACT
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    But who's doing that? Who is living on ONLY Lucky Charms and soda for months at a time? Your argument is stupid because the examples you give don't happen in real life. I can talk about how bad it would be for someone who was only eating strawberries all day every day too, but no one really does that.

its not an argument,

its FACT

we can not look at all calories the same, because the word calorie, is actually talking about what the food does inside your body as its converted into energy , and we all know that processed sugars will cause mayhem in the body , so the calories they provide are not good enough to sustain us , but make us only feel more hungry FACT
    [/quote]

If you say it is FACT you need to back it up with real evidence. Not just what you think is fact.
  • jamesagnew717
    Options
    [/quote]
    So those people who eat processed sugars and aren't overweight and are perfectly healthy and live until they are 90 years old.. are they aliens then?
    [/quote]

it depends what you are taking about when you say processed sugars ?
  • Jerodhold
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

This ^^^ to much of anything is bad for you, if I ate nothing but organic chicken breats with nothing added to it all day every day for a month, I'm sure I would have some negitive side effects cuz the human body can't live off just chicken
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

its not an argument,

its FACT

As long as you are eating enough of the essential nutrients, your body can make whatever else it needs from any energy source available. Period.
  • Timehope
    Timehope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Gary Taubes and authors Volek & Phinney cover this in depth. (A calorie is NOT a calorie.) Studies of twins put on identical diets show big individual variances on weight gained on the same number of calories. Of course, many diet studies show this, but the twin studies are particularly interesting. Some people gain much more than others-- don't we all know this? -- but what is striking is that sets of twins differ just like individual persons, but the twins themselves each gain or lose IDENTICALLY. (They also put on weight in the same places -- another feature that varies among individuals.)

In the late 1970s the Food Pyramid was first published. It urged Americans to eat less fat and eat more grains. The latest research shows that, on average, Americans eat slightly fewer calories now than they did in the 70s. More importantly, Americans DO eat less fat and more grains now than in the 70s. Yet obesity (and diabetes 2) rates are far higher today. How can this be if calorie in / calorie out is all that counts?
  • jamesagnew717
    Options
    it seems you are all being very defensive about the word calories because you don't want to know the truth

go on and eat all the crap you want and get sick

that what you want to hear ?

then fine , do what you want, but don't complain that you cant lose any weight after eating all your high sugar foods and sweating it out at the gym

I am being very realistic on this forum but some people don't like the truth, the truth hurts guys
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Gary Taubes and authors Volek & Phinney cover this in depth. (A calorie is NOT a calorie.) Studies of twins put on identical diets show big individual variances on weight gained on the same number of calories. Of course, many diet studies show this, but the twin studies are particularly interesting. Some people gain much more than others-- don't we all know this? -- but what is striking is that sets of twins differ just like individual persons, but the twins themselves each gain or lose IDENTICALLY. (They also put on weight in the same places -- another feature that varies among individuals.)

In the late 1970s the Food Pyramid was first published. It urged Americans to eat less fat and eat more grains. The latest research shows that, on average, Americans eat slightly fewer calories now than they did in the 70s. More importantly, Americans DO eat less fat and more grains now than in the 70s. Yet obesity (and diabetes 2) rates are far higher today. How can this be if calorie in / calorie out is all that counts?

how does physical activity differ between now and the 70s for most americans?
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options

as i think we are being brainwashed by this terms calories,

you think a word is brainwashing you?

perhaps you are giving the word too much credit. Or perhaps you are easily manipulated. Or maybe nobody seems to understand your question.
    (including yourself?)
  • Jerodhold
    Options
    it seems you are all being very defensive about the word calories because you don't want to know the truth

go on and eat all the crap you want and get sick

that what you want to hear ?

then fine , do what you want, but don't complain that you cant lose any weight after eating all your high sugar foods and sweating it out at the gym

I am being very realistic on this forum but some people don't like the truth, the truth hurts guys

I do eat all the crap I want and I very rarely get sick and again I eat high sugar foods all the time and don't get fat. Even when I ate nothing but mcdonalds I didn't get fat and I almost never got sick. Explain why I'm not fat or deathly ill right now? What you are saying is far from FACT, I am an amazing example that you don't know what you are saying.
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    So those people who eat processed sugars and aren't overweight and are perfectly healthy and live until they are 90 years old.. are they aliens then?
    [/quote]

[/quote]
    Um, the PROCESSED SUGARS YOU KEEP REFERRING TO.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    what-the-****-meme-generator-what-the-****-am-i-reading-3255b3.jpg
  • mats613
    mats613 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    the answer to these questions is so simple!

I used to weigh a lot more and i was careful to eat mostly vegies etc i couldn't figure out how some ppl could eat chips and pretzels and fries etc and stay toothpick-y :(

when i started calorie counting i figured it out.

i totally indulge every single day and am losing weight. it's just, if i have a danish during the day, i eat a calorie lite lunch or dinner that totally balances it out. if I want to i have pizza on the way home from work, i'll just have filling protein for dinner then go to sleep.

you can eat soso much once you figure out what every food 'costs'

For example, yesterday I PIGGED out and ended up with 1458 calories!!!!!:

BREAKFAST (313 cal)
    Oat Bran Oatmeal, 2 slices reduced fat american cheese, and coffee with 1% milk + splenda

EARLY LUNCH (370 cal)
    egg salad sandwhich, coffee

AFTERNOON SNACK (490 cal)
    chocolate danish (yes, i overly exaggerate calories in these kind of foods cuz i feel like my body takes more calories out of sugary stuff than most pple)

DINNER (381 cal)
    3oz 80% lean ground beef
    large can of crushed tomatos

EXCERCISE (minus 96cal)
    10 min rowing - moderate paced
  • Jerodhold
    Options

[/quote]
    [/quote]

lol
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options

[/quote]

lol
    [/quote]
    I mean, seriously? He has to be a troll.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

For example, yesterday I PIGGED out and ended up with 1458 calories!!!!!:

1458 calories IS NOT pigging out, in fact for the majority of people that would be below BMR
  • jamesagnew717
    Options

as i think we are being brainwashed by this terms calories,

you think a word is brainwashing you?

perhaps you are giving the word too much credit. Or perhaps you are easily manipulated. Or maybe nobody seems to understand your question.
    (including yourself?)

its as simple as this

the word calories is very powerful,

as i said before it can make people become so obsessed that they count the calories and food that is actually not going to affect them in there weight loss efforts

for example they count the calories in fruit, and count the calories in salads, and count the calories in other good foods such as nuts and beans,

but when it comes to food that you buy in a box, they count calories as it being the same, but its not the same at all,
    because of the processing of these types of foods it is not ideal to consume them

you have cereal in the morning, say fruit and fiber, and it has 15 grams of sugar in it, then you add the milk takes it to around 25 grams of sugar , it hits mid morning and you start to feel hungry again, this ever happen to anyone ? of course it has, its because you had a insulin spike, it this goes on all day long then no wonder you have to keep on eating more because your energy is low but insulin remains high its a cycle that most of us go through each day until we can decide to break this
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

First paragraph: energy out is also part of the energy balance

Second paragraph: ^^ditto ^^
  • mats613
    mats613 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY! what i am saying is i ate a LOT and it came out to barely any calories :)
    i at a danish! plus I ate three normal sized meals. dinner i actually ate 4 bowlfuls of my stew and I felt stuffed.

last year, i was on dukans (a low carb diet) and looking back i was eating about 1200 calories a day, feeling starving, and not losing :(