Vegetarian & Protein

Options
Hi,

I'm 23 years old, 5'2", 128 pounds, and a vegetarian.

Recently, I was frustrated with the fact that I was eating so healthy (my daily intake is about 1200-1500 kcal and consists of 80% vegetables and fruits, the other 20% nuts, Greek yogurt, and beans) but not losing the 15 pounds I gained in the past year. I realized that it's because I'm not eating enough protein. I know I have to be consuming around 120g of protein every day but I don't know how I'll do it on a veg diet without eating too many calories.

Right now, for protein I eat: plain nonfat Greek yogurt, about 1/2 a cup of beans (black beans, chickpeas), and some tofu.

Any suggestions? I'd like to eat about 100-120g of protein/day.

Thanks for your help!

Replies

• _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    You could use a whey protein powder if your protein was that important to you. That may be the best way to get protein without carbs or fats so that you could just go about eating your normal foods after the powder.

Most whey powders have <2g fat, <5g carbs and 20-25g protein per scoop/serving.
  • babyangelica2010
    babyangelica2010 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    1) You don't need that much protein
    2) How do you know you're not losing because of not enough protein? I'm not saying it's impossible, just that I have never heard of this happening before.
  • _noob_
    Options
    1) You don't need that much protein

That could depend on goals and exercise. That protein level certainly isn't likely to harm her, and she didn't ask us to evaluate how much she took in, just suggestions on how to reach that goal.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I can get that much protein a day if I'm trying, and I don't even eat dairy or eggs either. Just try planning meals ahead! You really don't NEED that much protein, but if you want it, add in organic tofu, beans, and lentils. Lentils are 18g protein per cup I think. Don't freak out over the carbs in beans and lentils as some people do. Half of the carbs are usually fibre.. it's not absorbed.

Since you're vegetarian and don't exclude dairy, you could add a simple whey protein shake daily for 100-150 calories.. and that easily adds 25-35g protein. If you ever want a non-dairy source of protein there are also plant based protein powders such as hemp, pea, and brown rice protein. Some are blends to create complete proteins. There's also soy protein for people who don't have issues with soy.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track with beans, nuts, greek yogurt and tofu. I also am a vegetarian and I start every day with a Vega shake which has 15g of protein per scoop, plus a bunch of vitamins and nutrients that are harder to come by as a veg like B vitamins and iron.

I agree with the above poster - incorporate lentils. Lentils are an awesome source of protein.

I also agree that at 5'2 and 128 pounds you shouldn't need 120g of protein per day.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm 23 years old, 5'2", 128 pounds, and a vegetarian.

Recently, I was frustrated with the fact that I was eating so healthy (my daily intake is about 1200-1500 kcal and consists of 80% vegetables and fruits, the other 20% nuts, Greek yogurt, and beans) but not losing the 15 pounds I gained in the past year. I realized that it's because I'm not eating enough protein. I know I have to be consuming around 120g of protein every day but I don't know how I'll do it on a veg diet without eating too many calories.

Right now, for protein I eat: plain nonfat Greek yogurt, about 1/2 a cup of beans (black beans, chickpeas), and some tofu.

Any suggestions? I'd like to eat about 100-120g of protein/day.

Thanks for your help!

eggs
    cheeses/ cottage cheese
    whey protein powder
    soy products
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    http://www.theiflife.com/how-much-protein-per-day-build-muscle/

I posted that link a few times today already.... 0.34 - 0.8 grams per LEAN body weight is all thats needed. the rest is **** out. You don't need a whole lot. Whey isn't the best protein source either.

Try Genuine Health Vegan Proteins - pea, hemp, brown rice, cranberry, alfalfa proteins all mixed in one. A much more natural source too.

And your body can only absorb 20-30g of protein at a time, so no need to double scoop it.
  • LoseYouself
    LoseYouself Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You're on the right track with beans, nuts, greek yogurt and tofu. I also am a vegetarian and I start every day with a Vega shake which has 15g of protein per scoop, plus a bunch of vitamins and nutrients that are harder to come by as a veg like B vitamins and iron.

I agree with the above poster - incorporate lentils. Lentils are an awesome source of protein.

I also agree that at 5'2 and 128 pounds you shouldn't need 120g of protein per day.

Vega products are amazing! :D
  • bethany41h
    Options
    I've been trying to cook tempeh into my foods... I make a lot of meatless chili and I just crumble it up and put into the chili or any other dishes I am making that it works with. It helps to add some extra protein to the diet. Are you a lacto ovo veg? You could do some eggs. I eat oatmeal for breakfast and sometimes mix protein powder into my oatmeal or just down a glass of protein. Maybe some edamame? or quinoa?
  • _noob_
    Options

I posted that link a few times today already.... 0.34 - 0.8 grams per LEAN body weight is all thats needed. the rest is **** out. You don't need a whole lot. Whey isn't the best protein source either.

Try Genuine Health Vegan Proteins - pea, hemp, brown rice, cranberry, alfalfa proteins all mixed in one. A much more natural source too.

And your body can only absorb 20-30g of protein at a time, so no need to double scoop it.

I believe the correct study to ascertain how much protein is "needed" would be what is required/optimum to build/maintain lean body mass in a caloric deficit. Studies across the board demonstrate relatively less protein per lb/ lean mass is needed to build muscle in a calorie surplus.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You could use a whey protein powder if your protein was that important to you. That may be the best way to get protein without carbs or fats so that you could just go about eating your normal foods after the powder.

Most whey powders have <2g fat, <5g carbs and 20-25g protein per scoop/serving.

Yep.
    Also Eggs, Milk, Lentils, Greek yogurt, Meat Substitutes, Beans, Mozzarella String Cheese (other cheeses too, but the mozz is 8g protein per 60 cals), cottage cheese are all big contributors in my diet. I'm vegetarian and get between 120-140 g protein a day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Protein does not help you lose weight - a calorie deficit does that. Getting enough protein, combined with a good strength training program maintains LBM, so that your weight loss = fat loss.

I am a vegetarian and get in excess of 120g of proteim a day. My 'staples' are:

Greek yogurt
    Milk
    Whey
    "Fake' meat such as seitan, soy and quorn
    Edamame

With some extra from things like:
    nutritional yeast
    veggies (mushrooms are surprisingly high)
    other dairy (including ice-cream)
    eggs
    nuts (but these are really a fat source)
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

I believe the correct study to ascertain how much protein is "needed" would be what is required/optimum to build/maintain lean body mass in a caloric deficit. Studies across the board demonstrate relatively less protein per lb/ lean mass is needed to build muscle in a calorie surplus.

Even high performance athletes need only .8 grams so I don't think it would be far off in those numbers. You do bring up a good point about the calorie deficit that I didn't think about, so maybe closer to the athlete range...
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Lack of protein won't keep you from losing weight. The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you take in. That being said, I've been vegetarian for over 2 years and easilly get 120-160 g of protein a day-feel free to check out my diary for ideas.
  • Stay away from whey protein it's bad news and terrible for your sinuses.

Here's some great sources!
    Kale
    Chia seeds
    Hemp anything
    Chickpeas/hummus
    LightLife oil free meat substitues (19g of protein per serving)
    Tofu (obviously)
    Flax
    Almond milk
    Nature's Good brand Raw Meal
    Spinach
    Broccoli
    Tempeh
    Bean sprouts
    Avacados
  • Hemp protein has far more protein per serving (11g per 3 TABLESPOONS) and absolutely NO saturated fat or cholesterol! Think about that! And it's only $11.97 for a huge tub!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Tofu and legumes are good sources of vegetarian protein. There are lots of options for meatless protein though! Here's my list:

The "Bulk" of Proteins:
    - Lentils
    - Tempeh
    - Seitan
    - Protein Powder
    - Veggie burgers/soy crumbles
    - Tofu
    - Textured Vegetable Protein
    - Primal Strips Seitan Jerky (74 calories and 10g protein in the Thai Peanut flavor, which is clearly the best flavor)
    - Clif Builder Bars

Supplementing With:
    - Peanut butter
    - Mushrooms
    - Edamame
    - Oats
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Hemp protein has far more protein per serving (11g per 3 TABLESPOONS) and absolutely NO saturated fat or cholesterol! Think about that! And it's only $11.97 for a huge tub!

How many calories for that 11g of protein?

My whey isolate has 0.5g saturate fat, only 1g of fat, 30g cholesterol and 24g of protein per scoop (120 calories). The bio-availability of whey is excellent.

Random search of Hemp protein shows it has 7g protein for 50 calories with 1g fat.

I know which one makes more sense to me,
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Even high performance athletes need only .8 grams so I don't think it would be far off in those numbers. You do bring up a good point about the calorie deficit that I didn't think about, so maybe closer to the athlete range...

Here are some studies that would indicate otherwise:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/823505-research-on-protien-intake