Vegetarian & Protein

Options

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein has far more protein per serving (11g per 3 TABLESPOONS) and absolutely NO saturated fat or cholesterol! Think about that! And it's only $11.97 for a huge tub!

How many calories for that 11g of protein?

My whey isolate has 0.5g saturate fat, only 1g of fat, 30g cholesterol and 24g of protein per scoop (120 calories). The bio-availability of whey is excellent.

Random search of Hemp protein shows it has 7g protein for 50 calories with 1g fat.

I know which one makes more sense to me,

Whey isolates are about the highest purity protein available and much more bioavailable than Hemp. Which means, even if your hemp came close to the same purity as the whey, even if it had the exact same amount of protein per weight as the whey, you're actually getting less protein from the hemp than the whey.
  • 80 calories
    4g polyunsaturated fat
    omg cholesterol
    0mg sodium
    240mg potassium
    12g fiber
    11g protein

35% dv of magnesium
    15% dv of zinc
    25% dv of iron

ALL FOR 3 TABLESPOONS! :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Stay away from whey protein it's bad news and terrible for your sinuses.

I've used whey protein daily for years....and my sinuses are just fine. It's a constant protein addition to my diet.

I also get protein with cheese, greek yogurt, nuts, veggie burgers, beans, etc. Right now I am doing low carb...so the majority of my diet comes from protein.

I just started with Optimum Nutrition the past about month and haven't had any effects. loving it because it is helping me meet my protein #s (which is one of my main health focuses seeing that I ended up protein deficient :( )
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Whey isolates are about the highest purity protein available and much more bioavailable than Hemp. Which means, even if your hemp came close to the same purity as the whey, even if it had the exact same amount of protein per weight as the whey, you're actually getting less protein from the hemp than the whey.

When I was researching which protein supplement to start on (soy, whey or hemp)...I was looking at a few studies that said (through their research) what you basically said, MoreBean. So very much agree that whey isolate protein supplements are nothing to shy away from.
  • I get the Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein

Another good source is Raw Meal by Garden of Life.
    2 level scoops; 270 calories, 34g protein, 360mg potassium, 9g fiber.
    100% + your daily value of vitamins A, D, K, B6, B12, C, and E
    100% + your daily value of zinc, chromium, riboflavin, calcium, panthothenic acid, iron, niacin, thiamin, folic acid, biotin, and manganese.
    Also entirely raw and organic!
    And is considered a meal replacer (it's great for after gym workouts or early mornings when there's no time for breakfast).
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Stay away from whey protein it's bad news and terrible for your sinuses.

I've used whey protein daily for years....and my sinuses are just fine. It's a constant protein addition to my diet.

I also get protein with cheese, greek yogurt, nuts, veggie burgers, beans, etc. Right now I am doing low carb...so the majority of my diet comes from protein.

Doesn't mean you wouldn't feel better on another type. I never knew how good you could feel, and thought the other feeling was normal, but once I cleaned the diet from processed, meats, and dairy, I felt so much better.

Just b/c you did it for years, doesn't mean it's the healthiest for you. I personally think it's not good for you, but thats my opinion. If it works for you, great! if you listend to everyones advice, we'd all live in bubbles and not be able to eat anything!
  • Lactose intolerance and a sliding hernia affect me much differently than most, so I tend to stick to easier to digest things that aren't thick.
  • Thank you, someone with some health sense finally.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Lactose intolerance and a sliding hernia affect me much differently than most, so I tend to stick to easier to digest things that aren't thick.

I'm not trying to argue with you, it's good that you have a protein that you like and I have no problem with you sticking with it- I just want to make a point for others that may be reading. Whey ISOLATE is actually virtually lactose free. Lactose intolerance is different than a milk allergy- allergies are usually reactions to the proteins, so it's not safe if you have a milk allergy but whey isolates are ok for people with lactose sensitivity.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Try some meat substitutes... My favorites are Lightlife and Morningstar Farms :)
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    It's possible that you were getting too many calories, even eating such healthy foods. Have you tracked for any decent amount of time?
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I eat 54grams of protein and I am losing weight (slowly). I know everyone is different but if oyu are staying within your macros/cals you should be fine. I dont lift weights but if I was I would be eatming more protein than that. I just dont feel I need it. I feel sick after too much.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Whey protein powder. However, you should be losing weight at a deficit regardless of protein intake. My protein intake as a vegetarian was phenomenally low... like <50 grams a day, and I lost weight if my calories were low enough. The protein is more for maintaining lean body mass, that for losing weight itself.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Lactose intolerance and a sliding hernia affect me much differently than most, so I tend to stick to easier to digest things that aren't thick.

I'm not trying to argue with you, it's good that you have a protein that you like and I have no problem with you sticking with it- I just want to make a point for others that may be reading. Whey ISOLATE is actually virtually lactose free. Lactose intolerance is different than a milk allergy- allergies are usually reactions to the proteins, so it's not safe if you have a milk allergy but whey isolates are ok for people with lactose sensitivity.

^Yep this. I'm lactose intolerant and I haven't had any bad effects from using whey isolate.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian (alright, pescatarian--I eat fish about twice a week), but even at 1200 calories I eat 100g of protein a day. I love Tera's Bourbon Vanilla Whey Protein, organic and rBGH free. I agree with the other comments about what an excellent source of protein whey can be. I also eat lots of beans, organic soy products, and egg whites.
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    bump
  • girl_afraid82
    girl_afraid82 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Suprised nobody has mentioned quinoa yet... excellent source of protein for vegetarians, as it has all nine essential amino acids (just like meat does).
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    80 calories
    4g polyunsaturated fat
    omg cholesterol
    0mg sodium
    240mg potassium
    12g fiber
    11g protein

35% dv of magnesium
    15% dv of zinc