Vegetarian & Protein

Options

Replies

• It's not the lactose that's bad for you, it's the casein that's in the dairy. It caused a lot of health problems. The dairy is what makes it so high calorie and fat. And what gives it the cholesterol. Casein can cause kidney stones and intestinal problems, along with bone damage, enamel erosion, and mucus build up.
  • Calories aren't bad for you. It's the calories from fat that matter.
  • Light Life is far better, it doesn't have the dairy or eggs in it and many of their products are oil free and chock full of protein. Yevette's vegan meat is also really awesome and you can get it at Wal-Mart super center. Boca and Morning Star are really really really processed and have a crap ton of saturated fat. They're better than meat by a long shot, but still not going to do much for you if you're trying to lose weight. :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    So did you go to a doctor or something and they told you the reason you're not losing is protein?

It's very easy to get lots of protein on a vegetarian diet since you eat dairy and eggs...
  • ohtobe140
    Options
    I eat scrambled egg whites mixed with whatever every day. Three egg whites is 18 grams of protein and only 72 calories and they are relatively cheap, it's a good fast easy way to get in a lot of protein with minimal effort.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I find pea protein powder is a good source of protein. I have one now, taste isn't good at all, but you may find a flavored one that tasted better. 130 calories in 33 grams with 28 grams protein, no sugar, 1 gram of carbs and 2 grams of fat. Its from NOW sports. Nutiva hemp protein is 90 calories for 30 grams with 15 grams of protein, 3 grams of fat and 9 grams of carbs. There are two vegan brands of protein powder: SAN rawfusion and Sun Warrior, both have great reviews.

I eat eggs and dairy but try to limit my soy consumption as i have been reading that too much can have some pretty nasty negative consequences. I also eat chia seeds, sprouted almonds, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, primal jerky strips, fresh ground nuts only putter- my kick lately has been almond butter.

Kale, swiss chard, peas, are all good sources of protein. This is one area that i could certainly improve upon in my own daily eating.

I am curious, why are you only eating1200-1500 calories a day? There are very few people that should eat as little as 1200 calories a day. Im thinking while protein may help you maintain muscle and therefor keep your metabolism higher, you simply just need to eat more, period... No less than your calculated BMR... Whatever that might be for you. Id try that for a month, first, before changing anything else.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Calories aren't bad for you. It's the calories from fat that matter.

How are calories bad for you? And what 'matters' about the calories from fat?.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    It's not the lactose that's bad for you, it's the casein that's in the dairy. It caused a lot of health problems. The dairy is what makes it so high calorie and fat. And what gives it the cholesterol. Casein can cause kidney stones and intestinal problems, along with bone damage, enamel erosion, and mucus build up.

Ummm - fat free dairy is not high fat...explain that one. Also, please cite where you are getting this information from.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Light Life is far better, it doesn't have the dairy or eggs in it and many of their products are oil free and chock full of protein. Yevette's vegan meat is also really awesome and you can get it at Wal-Mart super center. Boca and Morning Star are really really really processed and have a crap ton of saturated fat. They're better than meat by a long shot, but still not going to do much for you if you're trying to lose weight. :)

Oh rly?

Boca burger - saturated fats...a big ole zero, nada, zip.

<----I eat them...they have not done me any harm losing weight..neither has dairy or eggs.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    It's not the lactose that's bad for you, it's the casein that's in the dairy. It caused a lot of health problems. The dairy is what makes it so high calorie and fat. And what gives it the cholesterol. Casein can cause kidney stones and intestinal problems, along with bone damage, enamel erosion, and mucus build up.

Ummm - fat free dairy is not high fat...explain that one. Also, please cite where you are getting this information from.

I can vouche for the mucus issues from casein. Yuck.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Some people get it, some don't
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

and some people do. I don't think anyone meant it causes it for everyone since they said CAN not DOES
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options

I'm with Sarauk2sf here. Also, a lot of whey doesn't even have casein. That's pretty much the difference between curds and whey. So, any of those dairy concerns would be null. Some whey does contain milk powder or trace amounts (a lot of the big bodybuilder tubs of cheap whey are full of extra and sometimes questionable ingredients), but I just double-checked the brand I used and they said this:

"Q: Is there casein in tera'swhey®?
    A: No, casein is the protein in milk that is present in cheese. Any trace amounts that may remain in the fresh whey would be removed in our microfiltration process."
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

and some people do. I don't think anyone meant it causes it for everyone since they said CAN not DOES

Ummm - I said some people get it and some don't....you responded 'and some people do'...you just repeated half (that you wanted to) of what I just said.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Try Genuine Health Vegan Proteins - pea, hemp, brown rice, cranberry, alfalfa proteins all mixed in one. A much more natural source too.

I use something like this because I can't have eggs or casein (milk proteins) unless I want to be sick. The casein causes inflammation, sinus and digestive problems for people who are sensitive.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

Ummm - I said some people get it and some don't....you responded 'and some people do'...you just repeated half (that you wanted to) of what I just said.

neat, ab lady.
  • saharajungle
    Options
    Thanks. :) I tried Tofurkey Italian Sausage in my salad today and it had 29g of protein in one link!
  • saharajungle
    Options
    I just started personal training last week and my trainer said that an adequate supply of protein for proper weight loss/muscle building and maintenance is 1g protein per pound you weigh. So if I weigh 120 pounds, I should be eating 120g protein.

Does that sound right or are he and I completely wrong here?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    I just started personal training last week and my trainer said that an adequate supply of protein for proper weight loss/muscle building and maintenance is 1g protein per pound you weigh. So if I weigh 120 pounds, I should be eating 120g protein.

it's per pound of lean body mass I heard...so no, 120g of protein wouldn't be right unless your entire body is lean body mass which isn't possible, Your trainer can help you figure out your lean body mass.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

it's per pound of lean body mass I heard...so no, 120g of protein wouldn't be right unless your entire body is lean body mass which isn't possible, Your trainer can help you figure out your lean body mass.

^yep - it is per lb of LBM