Non gym goers, show me your results!

Options
I have no access to a gym atm, but I did buy a stationary bike to do at home, along with taking walks everyday. Those of you who don't have access to many machines and get your cardio in the old fashioned way, show me how you did! For an inspiration boost :)

Replies

• sndiane
    sndiane Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I don't have pictures to show. I am down almost 60 lbs since starting last July. Of the 60 lbs, 34 of them have been since I decided to take exercise seriously on 11/01/12
  • XxSarahKatexX
    Options
    I don't have pictures to show. I am down almost 60 lbs since starting last July. Of the 60 lbs, 34 of them have been since I decided to take exercise seriously on 11/01/12
    Wow!! Congrats!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Lost 126 lbs (currently up more than that because I am trying to gain muscle) I have kept it off for more than 3 years

Rarely set foot in a gym
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You can get a really well balanced workout program by walking/running outside and bodyweight strength training. I would encourage you to pick up a copy of the book "You are your own gym" for a strength program to add to your cardio- it does not require any special equipment. :)
  • katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I'm on my phone so I can't upload pics but here is post that has my before/after pics in it... I haven't stepped foot in an actual gym during my weight loss journey

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/888469-weight-loss-progress-50lb-pics
  • angelamary61
    angelamary61 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I did obelong to a gym a few years back but bought a house so couldnt afford gym membership, started walking outside.
    Now I have a stationary exercycle and a treadmill and walk in summer, occasionally aqua jog at the pool and have kept the weight just the same as when I went to the gym.
    Find an exercise you dont mind and be consistent. Consistency is the key.
    I would love to try the Wi or something like that but dont have access to a tv at the time I would want to use it because of the family.
    Good luck. Angela
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I didn't go to the gym until the 2nd or 3rd week in January. I now realize that heavy lifting is crucial to getting the body I want but I'm sure there are plenty of people who got where they wanted to go without going to a gym :) All of my weightloss was due to a caloric deficit. Zero cardiovascular exercise.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I didn't use a gym at all. I have an elliptical in the basement, but i mostly walk...either on a hiking trail by my house, or at the mall before the stores open in the winter.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    The top three decisions I've made regarding my fitness:

1) Beginning exercise.

2) Joining a gym.

3) Quitting the gym.

Joining the gym was great. I was exposed to a variety of exercise and machines that I wouldn't have done otherwise. I got to try out the elliptical (hated it), stationary bike (hurt my bum), recumbent bike (much more *kitten*-friendly), arc-trainer (form of torture), and treadmill (good at the time). It's what got my started on heavy strength training, even if I was only using machines at the time.

It's what gave me the confidence to say, "I'd rather buy free weights for home and do all my running outside."

I quit the gym in July 2012.

Here's my progress photos, after getting a little below my goal weight in July of 2011 (only doing cardio and very light strength training), after a year of strength training on machines, and after just four months of lifting at home with free weights.

IMG_1297-copy.jpg

If I could have afforded a better gym (than Planet Fitness) that had free weights, and was more conveniently located, I would have stuck with it. And maybe if I were more sociable and liked exercising with people, a gym would be a better choice. But I'm a hermit by nature and like my alone-time. Having a home gym completely eliminated my excuses for not exercising. There's ALWAYS time to go outside for a quick run or upstairs to lift weights. And I don't need to shower or shave my legs or comb my hair first.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I have lost 77 pounds since last June. All I use are hand weights and walk nearly every day. I do pay close attention to my diet.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    No gym membership for me. Healthy food choices, running, lifting and videos.
  • Ecce_Signum
    Ecce_Signum Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Not much on the scales but my body has altered a fair amount with light cardio, resistance bands and (of course) a decent diet (though it is littered with beer). 15.5lbs of fat down and 3.5lbs of LBM gained (if my caliper results are correct).

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1052744.jpg

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_1052743.jpg
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    You can get a really well balanced workout program by walking/running outside and bodyweight strength training. I would encourage you to pick up a copy of the book "You are your own gym" for a strength program to add to your cardio- it does not require any special equipment. :)
    <3
  • JezcaLeean
    Options
    Im military so I have seen, and been through the transformation associated with just running 3 times a week for 45 minutes and doing calisthenics (body weight exercises) 2 times a week for 45 minutes. After 8 weeks, I definitely had a 4 pack. Now I go to the gym because I prefer to be able to target specific body parts so I am not sore all at once, but here are some good exercises to get you started:

sit-ups (feet on the wall back on the floor if they are too easy)
    push ups (you got chinese, diamond, clapping, wide and narrow grip)
    flutterkicks and leg lifts
    squats
    lunges
    bicycles
    bear crawls and crab walks
    wall sits
    holding your arms in a T form until you cannot stand it
    calf raises
    jumping jacks and jump rope

Often, we would do circuits of these, were you do sets of 10 down the list, and then repeat the list another 2 times.
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I'm a gym rat, but http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/ is pretty awesome.
  • Gonnaloseit40
    Gonnaloseit40 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a membership to a gym but I recently purchased Slim in 6 (first workout this morning), it is awesome! It is from the same people that do P90X and some others. I saw it on an infomercial and I am not typically the person to buy into the hype that they promote but I am glad I did this time.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Great post!!!
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    264321_10150347027118206_7164670_n_zps3ce23207.jpg
    Then

IMAG2963_zps7b47c7e8.jpg
    Now

I'm 5"7, 21 years of age.

The first measurements that I took were nearly a year into my journey (But before MFP) I was a Sparkpeople member before joining MFP and have been with this website for just about 2 years now.

"Beginning" (Wish I had taken some in the VERY beginning)
    Bust: 36
    Waist: 37"
    Hips: 41.5"
    Thigh: 23.5"
    Weight: 170

Current:
    Bust: 34 (Boo..)
    Waist: 26
    Hips: 34.5
    Thigh: 20.5
    Weight: 139.6

I have never stepped foot in a gym yet.
  • parias1126
    parias1126 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is a great post. I'll be following it as my gym membership ends in April. I've been going for three months and it's just a drag to drive there since the closest gym that offers childcare is 15 miles one way from home. I'm seriously debating buying a bench and more dumbbells for home. I'm just worried about getting the same results. I did lose the first 70 pounds at home with strictly workout videos, but I've moved on past that to lifting heavy now.
  • Geni_B
    Geni_B Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Down almost 80 lbs. did weigh in at a little over 200 down to 125 now, I do crunches, planks and an inexpensive stair stepper which does cardio but running in place can do the same thing. I also do leg lifts I find a lot of good exercises online and on you tube. I work so don't have a lot of time for exercise any way. Hope this helps. I almost forgot I have some free weights I use also. And I follow a healthy eating plan because I know this has to be a way of life or I won't keep it off this time around. 90% dairy free, 90% Gluten free and this has helped tremendously to help me loose the excess weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!