I HATE VEGETABLES!!!

Options
I don't know how to eat right, I am seriously at a loss with this diet crud! I HATE vegetables. My idea of vegetables are corn potatoes tomatoes and cauliflower...... That's it. I am the pickiest eater ever, I hate shellfish! I hate most fishes unless its on my pole. I have no idea how to get myself on a regime. All I want to yeast is Mac n cheese fries burgers pizza...... Anyone want to point me in the right direction?? :-/

Replies

• swingsintherain
    swingsintherain Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try eating your vegetables cooked/prepared in new/different ways. For example, raw and with dip, or baked (I'm thinking carrots, which get soft and sweet after being roasted), or with cheese (broccoli is a good one here). Try as many new ways you can think of to eat them, and try to try a new one each week. Eventually you'll either get used to it or find something you really like.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    garlic dice game
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    My vegetables are potatos, sweet potatos, broccoli, maybe some corn. That's about it.
  • zilea
    zilea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Food is medicine. When you start thinking about it that way, vegetables become so much more appealing. I eat mostly vegan, so the idea of hating vegetables is foreign to me these days, but it wasn't always. I was raised eating junk food and if I ever even had vegetables, they were out of a can. I transitioned slowly. I thought I'd never like mushrooms, and then I started grilling and frying them. Kale sauteed is one of my favorite things. Sweet potatoes, steamed asparagus, grilled corn, roasted root vegetables (carrots, potatoes, etc.) – this stuff was all weird to me at once but these are now my comfort foods. Use the internet to your advantage! If you don't know how to prepare something, look it up. Preparing something the wrong way, especially a vegetable, can definitely leave a bad taste in your mouth. ;)
  • myriddian
    myriddian Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Grate and add to the foods you all ready like?
    Works for my kids when they are being difficult
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    For starters I'd say just eat the foods you enjoy within your calorie goal. Then if you want to add more veggies you can do it gradually. IMO it's ill-advised to change too much at once.
  • BarefootBrendan
    Options
    Sounds like you would prefer the High Protein Diets type foods. Have a look at the Atkins Diet for a few ideas. I don't actually mean go on the diet because that is counter to changing how you live but you might get some good recipe ideas.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Stop dieting. If you want this to be permanent you need to make it sustainable in the long term. However you lose the weight needs to be how you are willing to live for the rest of your life, otherwise it's gonna come back when you stop. Eat the foods you like, but eat them WITHIN your calories and/or exercise to earn them. Over time, start substituting healthier versions of things. Try something new each week, but don't over-restrict or eliminate too many things or you won't last. :flowerforyou:
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm, maybe you could find recipes with vegetables added, like pizza, spaghetti sauce, stew, soup, etc. Plus try different ways of preparing vegetables. Tossed in oil with your favorite spices and roasted can be divine!

When I was a child, my mother used to open a can and boil the vegetables. Ick! I thought I hated vegetables too. Turns out that I like quite a few of them. Garlic green beans with lemon is one of my favorites, and green beans used to be my absolute most hated vegetable.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    acjLK.gif
  • lbk1969
    Options
    How do you feel about fruit? It is higher in calories than vegetables, but lower -- and much healthier! -- than most processed foods. Fruit gives you many same fiber and vitamin benefits as vegetables.

Another possibility is one I heard at the only WW meeting I've ever attended. They recommend 5-8 servings of fruit & veg per day. One of the people said she makes herself eat veg every time she eats fruit. But you could start out with something that might be more rewarding for you, like an equal number of broccoli florets as chips with guacamole, or some kind of reward if you eat 5 servings per day.
  • zilea
    zilea Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    acjLK.gif

EXACTLY. Don't give yourself excuses to not eat them. Learn to like them. Learn to love them. You need them. It's not negotiable!
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I don't juice, but I see a lot of people who "hide" their veggies in their juice concoction. It would get rid of the tecture and disguise it as fruit.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    So does my 4 year old. I'll give you the same advice I gave him.

You won't grow up to be happy and strong if you don't eat your veg. Try it, you might like it.
  • janetzorsky
    Options
    I love roasting vegetables (broccoli, asparagus, green beans, etc.). Just put them on a tray with a little oil and some kosher salt. Roast in the oven at about 400 until they start to get a little crisp (usually less than 15 minutes). You may find that you love them.
  • missability
    Options
    Cauliflower and tomatoes are a great start...limit the potatoes. how many veggies have you tried? There maybe some out there u like but don't know it yet. :) What about tuna, cod, flounder, haddock, tilapia...there are lots of lean proteins in the fish world besides shell fish. Also chicken turkey, egg whites, are all good sources of lean protein. Whole grains like spelt. flax. millet etc not white bread...I buy Delands gluten free millet bread at wholefoods. There are any number of online sites you can buy good grains.
    www.vitacost.com is a good one. I toast the bread it isn't bad then...I don't think I could eat it plain.
    To me cottage cheese always looked like pristine vomit! But because of the protein in it I started forcing myself...finally out of desperation I started cutting up fresh pine-apple, or strawberries, nectarines, or apples and putting the dices pieces of fruit in it. If I have a piece of fruit with each bite I can get a whole cup down without a problem.
    For cereal in the morning I like,
    Natures path, cascadian farms and arrowhead mills they all make cereals that are corn and gluten free, and sweetened with fruit juice. a little milk is all you need.
    There is a noodle called Miracle noodle that is 0 everything....thats right zero carbs, calories, everything. They are pure fiber. I use them for tuna noodle casserole, spaghetti and meatballs etc etc....great pasta replacement. They have an odor when you open the bag, (they are packed in water). I just pour them into a strainer and let cold water run on them for about a minute..use my hands to push as much excess water thru the strainer as possible, then pat them dry with a paper towel. They are wonderful! They take on the flavor of whatever sauce you put over them. They sell all shapes, fettuccine , angel hair, linguine, even rice.
    These are just a few of my suggestions, and as I said all these things can be delivered right to your door from vitacost.com.
    If you wanna chat let me know, I am no expert, but I know a little, and where there's a will there's a way! Beth Ann
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,811 Member
    Options
    I like alot of veggies baked with a little olive oil and garlic powder (asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower) I love steamed or boiled broccoli topped with shredded cheese, mixed in salad, and I love ranch spritzer dressing, only 15 calories
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Yep, I don't like veggies or fruit, so I hide them by blending them in a smoothie-type of concoction when I can. But I just discovered avocados and I ADORE them! I could eat them all day long. Mangoes are pretty good, too, but hard to cut up (I had to watch a YouTube video to figure that one out!) But as far as veggies go, I used to smother them with butter or cheese to get them down. Now I just steam them and eat them, because I know they are good for me - or as someone else put it, they are "medicine." Sure beats the McDonald's I was eating daily about a month ago. Now, if I can just lose some of this weight...
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Get a NutriBullet. It's about $100 (though you can often get it for ~$80 at places like Bed Bath & Beyond or Kohls with their 20% off coupons). Put your vegetables in it along with some fruit. Drink. Smile because you're getting your veggies, you're getting your fiber, you're getting your nutrients and you don't have to taste it.

Or, you know, just get over it and eat them because they're good for your body and you love your body because it's the only one you're gonna get. :)
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I dont like vegetables either and i have still managed to lose 82 kilos/182 pounds....you could either juice them up....throw things like baby spinach in smoothies (you wont taste it) ...chop them up small/grate them (things like carrots, mushrooms,capsicums etc) so you cannot taste them. You did say you like cauliflower...theres a vegie...tomatos throw them in the oven and roast them....try and step out the box and try some you have no preconceived idea about (i did this and discoverred i dont mind eggplant, mushroooms, avocado etc) As to fish...ill only eat tuna and barramundi...so if you dont like fish ... eat different forms of protein. You need to think outside the box....also try and eat some of the foods you like but make them healthier....research around the net.