Food Police And Nasty Hurtful Comments

Options
Just a vent really, but I don't understand why some people think they can be the food police. For some reason I can remember all food police and hurtful comments made to me over the years, they stick like glue. It's not just me, I see and hear about it all the time happening to others.

I try to be polite to "the food police" even though I don't want to be. Whether I'm nice back or not, it is still frustrating. The nasty comments are so hurtful. Every time the food police show up I remember past nasty comments. These are some examples.

There was a catered in lunch at work one day and I was getting some food. Some woman very loudly said, "Why is it that all the ones with the fat *kitten* are getting food right now?" People watch what's on your plate!

I was leaving a concert last year and I was next to a grown woman (probably late 40's to early 50's) who was mooing at someone! I kid you not! I gave her this mortified look, then she looked right at ME and started to moo some more! I was so shocked at the moment that I couldn't even say anything. It completely ruined my night, and I thought about non stop for weeks! I was so mad at myself for not calling her a *****.

One day someone in my building gave me a small cupcake. Being polite I took it, it was small. I got in my elevator, there was another woman who got in with me and she said to me, "Do you REALLY think you should be eating that?".

I ran into a neighbor of mine in the supermarket and she saw me put a bag of pretzels in my cart. She started screaming at me, I mean really screaming at me to where people stopped and looked. She told me I might as well just put the suction in my thighs and put the fat in them that way because that's what I'm doing to myself! I was mortified!!!!!!!!!!!

I swear I remember every nasty comment made to me over the years. Each time I am policed or someone makes a comment I seem to relive all the others and they hurt! Just a vent but I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has had this happen to them.

Replies

• Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Are you sure there isn't something in the water where you live? That is some crazy behavior.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are surrounded by very judgmental and rude people. People that live their lives like that - well, you really ought to feel sorry for them. I mean, how sad is it for an adult to live their life only concerning themselves with what others are eating and doing?

Don't let it get to you.
  • Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    That's absolutely disgusting... I admire your courage for not flooring these people and calling them up on something they may feel insecure about. They aren't food police, they're a55holes.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    The best revenge in life is success. Use it as motivation to attain your goals.
  • zingaravh
    Options
    That's ridiculous! It sounds like you're surrounded by some really horrible people :(

Chin up honey, at least you know you're staying strong. :)
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    When someone pulls that crap with me, I look at them, smile, and say all wide-eyed, "Gosh, I bet it's exhausting being 100% perfect all the time. I feel bad for you." Then I turn around and ignore them while they sputter and freak out.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I have fortunately never had this happen to me, but I've read about it a lot on this site. Nothing absolves a person from that kind of behavior, but you gotta wonder: What kind of family and friends did they grow up with to think that behaving like that is ok? It's probably how they were treated in one manner or another, and probably for a good long time.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    That's absolutely disgusting... I admire your courage for not flooring these people and calling them up on something they may feel insecure about. They aren't food police, they're a55holes.

I wanted to say something wise and supportive, but I couldn't come up with anything better than this last sentence.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options

^^this
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Where do you live?????!!!!!! That's unbelievable.

Edited: I don't mean that I don't believe you - I definitely do! But I think you should move elsewhere, because - trust me - the world is not thus everywhere.
  • cubbies77
    Options
    double post - stupid site
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Food police need a punch in the face. Then they can focus on their broken noses instead of minding other people's business.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Are you sure there isn't something in the water where you live? That is some crazy behavior.

This!! That is bats**t cray cray
  • losingweightatl
    Options
    If it was me I would have knocked them all out. I think during my fatness I built a defense against people saying rude comments. I usually keep a mean look on my face and no one bothers me.... Thinking about it now, I prob look like a psycho :(
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    A simple "**** you, *kitten*" will do quite nicely in most of those situations.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    OMG I am sorry this has happened to you. These are angry people and make themselves feel better by bringing others down. Keep your chin up and keep working on your goals. Don't waste your time on others that don't deserve it!
  • jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options

Yes! Success is the best revenge!!!
  • cubbies77
    Options

^^this

Agreed. Now, when I feel stares or hear whispers, I just think to myself, "I've lost 52 pounds, jerk. Think whatever you want." It's very empowering. I don't feel nervous going out in public anymore.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options

This....I cant believe these stories are real.
  • sura987
    Options
    Yes, it's happened to me, too. More times then I care to remember. I can really relate to how you feel. For me, even worse then strangers, are the people I know. They will practically attack me in a social setting, ask me to my face infront of a crowd...why are you so fat? Why are you not doing something about yourself? Why are you eating that? It's like on purpose trying to embarrass me. I go out of my way to only drink water, and eat celery or other veggies, and then hide in a corner somewhere until it's over.
    It's miserable and it's totally affected my self-esteem/self-confidence and I get mad at myself for allowing it.
    I should never allow it, I should grow a pair and stand up to those bullies.