Woman died from drinking 10 liters of Coke a day.

Options
rduhlir
rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
My heart goes out to this woman and her family. It is sad that her addiction ended up taking her life and causing her children harm.

Here is the link:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/02/12/woman-dies-from-drinking-10-liters-coke-day-coroner-says/?test=latestnews

Let me say this. I am not against coke/diet coke/pepsi/etc... I occasionally have a small soda every now and again. But, if you are addicted please read the article and break the habit!

Replies

• mightyafrodyte
    mightyafrodyte Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    That's so crazy! Wow.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Fow news? Is that a valid news source still?
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I read that article too - really sad. It's one thing to have a few sodas in a day, but the lady was drinking over 2.5 gallons a day! YIKES!
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Who can ..POSSIBLY...? Oh my gosh.
  • llaurenmarie
    llaurenmarie Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Fow news? Is that a valid news source still?
    lols
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    My heart goes out to this woman and her family. It is sad that her addiction ended up taking her life and causing her children harm.

Here is the link:

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/02/12/woman-dies-from-drinking-10-liters-coke-day-coroner-says/?test=latestnews

Let me say this. I am not against coke/diet coke/pepsi/etc... I occasionally have a small soda every now and again. But, if you are addicted please read the article and break the habit!

Holy cow... Now, that's a cautionary tale if I ever heard one.
  • Mikkimeow
    Mikkimeow Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I feel terrible for the woman, but worse for her children. The fact that they were born with issues because of her addiction really bothers me.
  • greentart
    greentart Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    So maybe I'm a horrible person, but I really have no sympathy for her. You cannot honestly tell me that she didn't know how horrible soda is. It's EVERYWHERE. Dentists, doctors, weight campaigns... They have video of coke getting the rust off of pennies, of how it'll eat an eggshell overnight.

It's like an avid smoker getting lung cancer. You did it to yourself.

I feel bad for her family, but I also think its ridiculous that they didn't step in. That's like if someone were eating nothing but oreos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's OBVIOUSLY unhealthy.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    So maybe I'm a horrible person, but I really have no sympathy for her. You cannot honestly tell me that she didn't know how horrible soda is. It's EVERYWHERE. Dentists, doctors, weight campaigns... They have video of coke getting the rust off of pennies, of how it'll eat an eggshell overnight.

It's like an avid smoker getting lung cancer. You did it to yourself.

I feel bad for her family, but I also think its ridiculous that they didn't step in. That's like if someone were eating nothing but oreos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's OBVIOUSLY unhealthy.

I am a former smoker. Been smoke free for 2 months now...and believe me the hardest thing is breaking an additiction. Especially to a drug, which in her case is caffine. You have to want to quit in order to quit. Her family could have stepped in all they wanted, but until you make the decision to quit it won't work. Same concept is used with us here. We WANT to get healthy. In order of this to work you have to want it, 100%.
  • kae_blah
    kae_blah Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    This is from a more local article:

Ms Harris' partner, Christopher Hodgkinson, told the inquest that in the six months before her death she had "no energy and was feeling sick all the time".

"She would get up and vomit in the morning." She smoked about 30 cigarettes a day and hardly ate, sometimes eating only a snack at lunch. But Ms Harris always needed Coke, Mr Hodgkinson said.

He said if it was not available Ms Harris would "get the shakes, withdrawal symptoms, be angry, on edge and snappy".

His mother, Vivienne Hodgkinson, told the inquest all Ms Harris' teeth were rotten and had been pulled out. Some of her children were born without enamel on their teeth.

Warning labels of bottles is not going to help people in this situation. If the addict cannot see the wood for the trees their family and friends should have taken her to a doctor for help.
  • ScreenGem
    ScreenGem Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Damn shame!
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My MIL drank nothing but Pepsi or alcohol drinks for most of her adult life and was in kidney failure around age 60. Coincidence? I think not.

Addiction is still a choice. A person can stay stuck or fight; it's up to him/her.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Another one? I remember this was a story a few months ago.

One can/bottle of coke a day isn't the same as 10L
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand how someone can be addicted to soda like this. If soda was this powerful there would be soda rehab centers. I kind of don’t buy it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    This is from a more local article:

Ms Harris' partner, Christopher Hodgkinson, told the inquest that in the six months before her death she had "no energy and was feeling sick all the time".

"She would get up and vomit in the morning." She smoked about 30 cigarettes a day and hardly ate, sometimes eating only a snack at lunch. But Ms Harris always needed Coke, Mr Hodgkinson said.

He said if it was not available Ms Harris would "get the shakes, withdrawal symptoms, be angry, on edge and snappy".

His mother, Vivienne Hodgkinson, told the inquest all Ms Harris' teeth were rotten and had been pulled out. Some of her children were born without enamel on their teeth.

Warning labels of bottles is not going to help people in this situation. If the addict cannot see the wood for the trees their family and friends should have taken her to a doctor for help.

I have no problem being the cold-hearted *kitten* in the group...

If the above is true, I have a hard time feeling sorry in the slightest.
  • NiSan12
    NiSan12 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    That is sad and scary. At 30 years old, she was soo young and her children will have dental problems all their life. So sad.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Raise your hand if you believe that infants are born with teeth.
  • leantool
    leantool Posts: 365 Member
    Options

Here is the link:

even 10 ltr of water will kill you in one day, with severe hyponatremia! i wonder that she could stomach that much without nausea vomiting...so sad.
  • winterswish
    Options
    I don’t understand how someone can be addicted to soda like this. If soda was this powerful there would be soda rehab centers. I kind of don’t buy it.

It's not the substance itself (though with soda, it sure can be) that is the cause of an addiction. It's the behaviour patterns and underlying, unaddressed reasons why they have an addiction at that level that should be the focus.

She could have just as easily been addicted to chocolate or salty foods and clearly she had a tendency toward addiction.