Woman died from drinking 10 liters of Coke a day.

Options

Replies

• IntoTheSky
    IntoTheSky Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    hold on, I will be right back..... I need to go get a soda on my smoke break and think about how I got death comin to me.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    =(
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand how someone can be addicted to soda like this. If soda was this powerful there would be soda rehab centers. I kind of don’t buy it.

Any substance abused can be an addiction. If for some reason she got a "high" off drinking soda she got positive feed back from her brain and continued to abuse it.
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Newsflash: If you do stupid things, you might very well die. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people know that if you consume way too much of something, be it food, drink, alcohol, medicine, whatever, there's a possibility it won't end well.

Not everyone is blessed with common sense. This is why shampoo bottles have the warning "not to be taken internally".
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    I think Dani beat me to it, I'm guessing 4 too.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure if you drank 10 liters of water a day, your kidneys wouldn't be doing very well either.
    That's 5 times the recommended amount of liquids a day.

I can't agree with this. I drink at least a gallon of water, just while I'm at work. Plus 2 more liters at least when I get home. And that's if I DON'T work out.

This woman's diet was basically void of nutrition along with being overweight. It isn't the soda that killed her but it probably helped her along.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Newsflash: If you do stupid things, you might very well die. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people know that if you consume way too much of something, be it food, drink, alcohol, medicine, whatever, there's a possibility it won't end well.

Not everyone is blessed with common sense. This is why shampoo bottles have the warning "not to be taken internally".

Well, the gene pool has to be cleaned, somehow, I suppose.

And I did say "vast majority." Most stupid warning labels are put on products because someone did something stupid that MOST people would never even think of doing, got injured, and then sued the company involved.

Sorry, I just don't see how you get to be 30 years old and have 8 children and still refuse to become educated about the smallest things. Obviously it is possible, but I think it's more likely that stubbornness and denial are a hell of a thing. And it is sad that this same intentionally ignorant person had a family that couldn't seem to be bothered enough to say anything while she was busy slowly killing herself. :( And if they did say something, then she was WILLFULLY ignorant, which, again, doesn't get much sympathy from me. It's just...sad.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    So maybe I'm a horrible person, but I really have no sympathy for her. You cannot honestly tell me that she didn't know how horrible soda is. It's EVERYWHERE. Dentists, doctors, weight campaigns... They have video of coke getting the rust off of pennies, of how it'll eat an eggshell overnight.

It's like an avid smoker getting lung cancer. You did it to yourself.

I feel bad for her family, but I also think its ridiculous that they didn't step in. That's like if someone were eating nothing but oreos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's OBVIOUSLY unhealthy.

I don't think it even matters "how horrible" soda is. 2 1/2 gallons a day of ANYTHING is probably unhealthy.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don’t understand how someone can be addicted to soda like this. If soda was this powerful there would be soda rehab centers. I kind of don’t buy it.

Because it's not an addiction, per se, but rather deep-seated psychological problems that both caused her behavior and allowed her to rationalize it. If soda were truly a physical addicition, there would be rehab centers all over the country.
  • insertcoinshere
    insertcoinshere Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This is from a more local article:

Ms Harris' partner, Christopher Hodgkinson, told the inquest that in the six months before her death she had "no energy and was feeling sick all the time".

"She would get up and vomit in the morning." She smoked about 30 cigarettes a day and hardly ate, sometimes eating only a snack at lunch. But Ms Harris always needed Coke, Mr Hodgkinson said.

He said if it was not available Ms Harris would "get the shakes, withdrawal symptoms, be angry, on edge and snappy".

His mother, Vivienne Hodgkinson, told the inquest all Ms Harris' teeth were rotten and had been pulled out. Some of her children were born without enamel on their teeth.

Warning labels of bottles is not going to help people in this situation. If the addict cannot see the wood for the trees their family and friends should have taken her to a doctor for help.

I have no problem being the cold-hearted *kitten* in the group...

If the above is true, I have a hard time feeling sorry in the slightest.

I'm right there with you.
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Addiction is still a choice. A person can stay stuck or fight; it's up to him/her.
    I think technically, addiction is not a choice. Compulsion is not a choice. You can choose to fight against it, but you really can't choose whether you will or will not be addicted.

Not to take away from your point, I just like words. :)
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    This makes me angry, and sad for her kids.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    i wonder if she logged it as water?..
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

I'm sure it was the caffeine she was addicted to--caffiene withdrawl symptoms match how her husband said she was if she didn't get her Coke.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Definitely not the fault of the Coca-Cola company. The article also said she was a heavy smoker, had a poor diet, and had to have her teeth removed due to decay. This woman obviously led a very unhealthy lifestyle. How sad to set such a poor example for your kids.

As for me, I stopped drinking soda back in 1992 because I had a lot of problems with my teeth, and I figured drinking soda wasn't helping. I haven't had any cavities since. I cringe when I see people feeding soda to their small children. It's a bad habit to get into.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options

I'm sure it was the caffeine she was addicted to--caffiene withdrawl symptoms match how her husband said she was if she didn't get her Coke.

uhm, and the sugar.
  • jennb44
    jennb44 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Wow that is a lot of soda. I have heard that you shouldn't drink that stuff on a daily basis...can affect your gallbladder too. So sad for that woman to have such an addiction that it took her life and now those eight children will grow up without a mother.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Well, the gene pool has to be cleaned, somehow, I suppose.

Nope. She spawned quite the brood. Dirtied the pool quite a bit, I'd posit.
  • AdrienneYocham
    AdrienneYocham Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    His mother, Vivienne Hodgkinson, told the inquest all Ms Harris' teeth were rotten and had been pulled out. Some of her children were born without enamel on their teeth.

Raise your hand if you believe that infants are born with teeth.

ROFLOL!
  • choosingsara
    choosingsara Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Not sure those of us battling our weight should be throwing stones at someone who struggled with an addiction to something that actually caused her to withdraw and shake when she tried cutting back.