Woman died from drinking 10 liters of Coke a day.

Options

Replies

• blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    This is from a more local article:

Ms Harris' partner, Christopher Hodgkinson, told the inquest that in the six months before her death she had "no energy and was feeling sick all the time".

"She would get up and vomit in the morning." She smoked about 30 cigarettes a day and hardly ate, sometimes eating only a snack at lunch. But Ms Harris always needed Coke, Mr Hodgkinson said.

He said if it was not available Ms Harris would "get the shakes, withdrawal symptoms, be angry, on edge and snappy".

His mother, Vivienne Hodgkinson, told the inquest all Ms Harris' teeth were rotten and had been pulled out. Some of her children were born without enamel on their teeth.

Warning labels of bottles is not going to help people in this situation. If the addict cannot see the wood for the trees their family and friends should have taken her to a doctor for help.

I'm not advocating consuming that much sugar in a day...but it seems kind of misleading to just say she died because of coke. If someone's overweight, and happens to eat a lot of doughnuts, usually the coroner doesn't peg it to "dying from an overdose of doughnuts". Also she smoked 30 cigarettes a day? And was who knows how overweight? And ate who knows what? And had 8 children one of which had some birth defects? Everyone pointing to the coke in all these articles seems to be missing the big picture. Sounds like she had a lot of problems, and coke was just one of them.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Man dies from drinking too much water:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-17/bushwalker-dies-after-drinking-too-much-water/4265296

I find that one much more disturbing.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Another one? I remember this was a story a few months ago.

One can/bottle of coke a day isn't the same as 10L

She died in Feb 2010, you're right, old news.
  • Deedee0075
    Deedee0075 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    What do you expect?? As someone who hasn't touched Diet Coke since 2008, I really have no sympathy for this woman. It's sad for her family but at some point when you're downing the first liter in the morning, "i'm addicted" should cross your mind. And if you can't help yourself, then you should ask for help. Honestly people, are you really that surprised??
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    His mother, Vivienne Hodgkinson, told the inquest all Ms Harris' teeth were rotten and had been pulled out. Some of her children were born without enamel on their teeth.

Raise your hand if you believe that infants are born with teeth.

No teeth = no enamel obviously! :wink:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I'm going to call bullsh!t on this one. COD was cardiac arrest from lack of potassium, so I am going to assume her diet contributed to her death also, not just her soda drinking habit. Pop does not kill.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I must be heartless then, because this is gross and could have easily been treated, had she or her family members even bothered.
  • freckledginger15
    freckledginger15 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So maybe I'm a horrible person, but I really have no sympathy for her. You cannot honestly tell me that she didn't know how horrible soda is. It's EVERYWHERE. Dentists, doctors, weight campaigns... They have video of coke getting the rust off of pennies, of how it'll eat an eggshell overnight.

It's like an avid smoker getting lung cancer. You did it to yourself.

I feel bad for her family, but I also think its ridiculous that they didn't step in. That's like if someone were eating nothing but oreos for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It's OBVIOUSLY unhealthy.

I strongly agree with what you said. It's her own fault for lack of knowledge of how much damage soda does to your body. Plus, very disappointed that the family didn't help out and see that she had a problem.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I have some smoke....where can I blow it?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    800 or so calories per 2L. 10L=4000 calories. All sugar.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    PLEASE don't let this story turn into a "blame the soda companies" campaign! :noway: With her habits (e.g. smoking 30 cigs/day), she could've drank 10 liters of water a day and had a similar outcome.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Over/under on # of threads from this story (today)...

I say 5, (already at least 2).
  • traceyfunk
    Options
    The Coke did not kill her - she nutritionally starved to death.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Newsflash: If you do stupid things, you might very well die. I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of people know that if you consume way too much of something, be it food, drink, alcohol, medicine, whatever, there's a possibility it won't end well. Perhaps I am insensitive, but I have no sympathies, other than for her children.

Also, fear-mongering is not a good look, but it seems to be the only thing that faux news knows how to do anymore.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options

No teeth = no enamel obviously! :wink:

Babies are born with teeth in their gums.
  • _DaniD_
    _DaniD_ Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    Over/under on # of threads from this story (today)...

I say 5, (already at least 2).

• Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure if you drank 10 liters of water a day, your kidneys wouldn't be doing very well either.
    That's 5 times the recommended amount of liquids a day.
  • KSfitgal
    KSfitgal Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I read that! Very sad. I have a friend who is a serious addict to coke. Her dr's have told her to cut back cause she has other health issues she is on medicine for. She has type 2 diabetes, mental issues so she on a cocktail of meds plus shock therapy and she also has high blood pressure. Yikes!
  • Ginsey31
    Options

Yes, we are all born with our teeth already there. Have you ever seen an image of a child's skull? You can see all the teeth in the jaws. Creepy image but totally true. Exposure to certain things in utero can absolutely have an effect on the teeth.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    30 years old with 8 kids would have done me in!