Fasting

Options
124»

Replies

• gonnamakeanewaccount
    Options

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Timeline - Person begins developing anorexia. Person may be obese, overweight, healthy weight, or already skinny. If the person is obese at the beginning, it may take them months to reach the underweight state. Are you saying that in those months, which they are barely eating and obsessing about losing weight in an unhealthy manner, they aren't anorexic? That until they hit that underweight point, they are just what? on a diet? watching their weight?

So yes. I'm saying an obese person can have the mental illness anorexia. Will they remain obese? Probably not, unless they get help. But just because they have only been suffering the mental illness for a shorter period of time and haven't manifested the physical state which will eventuate yet doesn't mean they are suffering from the illness itself any less, then someone who has lived with it for months or years and is now chronically overweight.

Therefore, being underweight is NOT determanitive of whether someone IS anorexic. It just means that they haven't been anorexix long enough to be underweight.

I'm thankful that only medical professionals have the ability to diagnosis someone with Anexoria and not some random stranger on the internet who would rather rationalize her opinion of Anexoria instead of following medical guidelines that can be found anywhere on the net.

So in your world, a person of "healthy" or obese weight who eats <200 calories a day, if that, and obsesses about their weight and about getting as skinny as possible shouldn't receive treatment or concern for their mental illness until they are underweight because they can't possibly be anorexic yet because they arent skinny enough?

Man, I'm I grateful I'm not someone you would ever have to take responsibility for or care about.

Again, with Fatexoria. Some doctors do prescribe VLC-Diets for obese patients and yet why are they not labeled as Aneroxia and Obese at the same time? Fatexoria?

Please learn to spell. Please?:flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about bone density, honestly, because I have the strongest bones you could imagine.... and I will not get to the point where I stop having periods, that seems really unhealthy. Plus, since I take birth control, I'm not sure that it would happen. :P
    What if I were pregnant?! That is a worse deal for me than anything else, since I detest children. ( SORRY, MOTHERS! )
    What kind of fasting procedures have you heard of ?

How do you know you have strong bones? Did you have a DEXA scan? Also, not worrying about it is silly - so you are saying you don't mind them getting weaker, assuming you actually have good bone density in the first place?
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options

Timeline - Person begins developing anorexia. Person may be obese, overweight, healthy weight, or already skinny. If the person is obese at the beginning, it may take them months to reach the underweight state. Are you saying that in those months, which they are barely eating and obsessing about losing weight in an unhealthy manner, they aren't anorexic? That until they hit that underweight point, they are just what? on a diet? watching their weight?

So yes. I'm saying an obese person can have the mental illness anorexia. Will they remain obese? Probably not, unless they get help. But just because they have only been suffering the mental illness for a shorter period of time and haven't manifested the physical state which will eventuate yet doesn't mean they are suffering from the illness itself any less, then someone who has lived with it for months or years and is now chronically overweight.

Therefore, being underweight is NOT determanitive of whether someone IS anorexic. It just means that they haven't been anorexix long enough to be underweight.

I'm thankful that only medical professionals have the ability to diagnosis someone with Anexoria and not some random stranger on the internet who would rather rationalize her opinion of Anexoria instead of following medical guidelines that can be found anywhere on the net.

So in your world, a person of "healthy" or obese weight who eats <200 calories a day, if that, and obsesses about their weight and about getting as skinny as possible shouldn't receive treatment or concern for their mental illness until they are underweight because they can't possibly be anorexic yet because they arent skinny enough?

Man, I'm I grateful I'm not someone you would ever have to take responsibility for or care about.

Again, with Fatexoria. Some doctors do prescribe VLC-Diets for obese patients and yet why are they not labeled as Aneroxia and Obese at the same time? Fatexoria?

Please learn to spell. Please?:flowerforyou:

I tend to edit my stuff a lot because I am a bad speller.
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    Okay. I actually regret posting this, because now we're all fighting and being defensive.

I'm not anorexic.

I'm not fatorexic. ( Who made up that horrible term?)

I DO edit my posts to make the more legible.

-Sigh-
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    So I'm anorexic because I want to do a fast for a week? And I'm wondering how long I can keep it up?
    Now, if you had said I could only do a few days without damage, that would be useful information.

Well, it seems to me that you are simply looking for someone to tell you to go ahead and do what you're doing.

You have gotten some very useful information about IF. You also have explanations as to why starving yourself for an extended period of time is a bad idea.

But your defensiveness and rebuttals read to me as though you only want to believe that what you're doing is fine...personally, I think you should take the suggestions made to you more seriously. Disordered eating is a slippery slope...you don't want to go there, believe me.
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    I think the problem was I was unclear in my earlier posts, and everyone got the wrong impression of what I was asking... which is my fault.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I think the problem was I was unclear in my earlier posts, and everyone got the wrong impression of what I was asking... which is my fault.

I wish you the best in your weight loss...I am only concerned for your health and well-being, and I believe every other person who posted on your thread feels the same way.
  • tehbasketcasey
    Options
    Well, I do appreciate it.

And I'll take people's words into consideration. Really. I will.
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Well, I do appreciate it.

And I'll take people's words into consideration. Really. I will.

:)
  • jjrichard83
    jjrichard83 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

It's not worth arguing after you make a knockout point. some people just won't get it.

I think I love you...

I don't get that too often here :p
  • ilarrotta
    ilarrotta Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options

It's not worth arguing after you make a knockout point. some people just won't get it.

I think I love you...

I don't get that too often here :p

You had me at 'you don't need to jump start your weight loss'...
  • sunflowers1976
    sunflowers1976 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started intermittent fasting yesterday after doing non cards for the past month. I am in my 23 hour and surprisingly am not too hungry. I have drank a lot of water and black tea. I am going to have luch and dinner today after the initial 24 hours have past and then start 8/16 for 5 days followed by an other 24 hour fast, then back to 5 days of 8/16...etc. Does this sound about right? I have done a lot of reading on this but am still not 100% sure of all of the ins and outs of this. I could use some guidance.
  • shanswan
    shanswan Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have started the 5/2 method and I choose to do 24 hours that ends at 7pm tonight with eating 25% of my calories tonight and then eating my 1200 calories tomorrow with another fast from sat whenever I don't eat until sun at that time.
    I know without a doubt that this is ok. I have fasted for religious reasons in the past and if you study human evolution than you know that is was common to go a day without food or longer. I choose today because it is the first day of lent. I also choose today because my body is backed up due to having to take crap to be able to do a ct scan. My digestive system needs a break.

To the OP it took a long time for me to read that you were only doing it for a week. Maybe everyone wouldn't have been so concerned if that would have been made clearer earlier.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Extreme calorie restriction (1000 or less per day for a week or longer in the OP's case) will not kick start a diet. It's a bad idea no matter when the calories are consumed, eating disorder or no eating disorder. That is a completely different issue than IF, which does not involve a larger than normal net caloric restriction beyond what is healthy for fat loss. Longer religous or cleansinng fasts are another thing entirely, and are not intended for weight loss and should not be used for that purpose,
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I just started intermittent fasting yesterday after doing non cards for the past month. I am in my 23 hour and surprisingly am not too hungry. I have drank a lot of water and black tea. I am going to have luch and dinner today after the initial 24 hours have past and then start 8/16 for 5 days followed by an other 24 hour fast, then back to 5 days of 8/16...etc. Does this sound about right? I have done a lot of reading on this but am still not 100% sure of all of the ins and outs of this. I could use some guidance.

You're kind of mixing up the leangains approach with the 5:2 one. There's a few things mentioned in the thread on where to look for the info you need.
  • Smurfette1987
    Smurfette1987 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP. It's not fair to characterize her as an anorexic as she would have to be underweight.

Actually, just generally and not in relation to the OP, you can be anorexic and not underweight - YET. Just because someone hasn't been anorexic long enough to be underweight doesn't make them not anorexic.

Actually dsm criteria states that the sufferer should have a bmi of 16.5 or below as far as I know, 18.5 or below is borderline anorexic. But someone with anorexic behaviours and thoughts with any BMI would be classed as eating disorder not otherwise specified (EDNOS). I agree though, it isn't fasting, it's prolonged significant calorie restriction and is a bad idea all round. Not going to do you any good, mentally or physically. It's not even a good way to "kick start" weightloss, please read about set point weight and how excessive calorie restriction can actually increase it. Just be patient and do it the right way.