HUGE NSV!!! I am awesome

Options

Replies

• Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    So I got into this whole thing because of some health concerns and really bad blood work back in October...losing weight and looking better and feeling better is awesome...but my real goals are my health.

So I returned to the doctor yesterday to go over my first round of blood work since October 15. I'll preface this by saying, I was not optimistic in the least. I've actually been feeling kind of down lately...despite all of my efforts, my hypertension has not improved in the least and the doc put me on a beta blocker in addition to my other BP meds a couple of weeks ago. To boot, I've been in somewhat of a plateau on the scale the last couple of weeks. Well, here's how it turned out:

Cholesterol Serum - Oct 15: (240)....Feb 14: (211)...still high but much improved

Triglycerides - Oct 15: (463)...Feb 14: (135)...Holy Smokes!....and I'm below the requisite 150

HDL - Oct 15: (30)...Feb 14: (43)...Movin' on up

LDL - Oct 15: ( ????)...Feb 14: ( 141)... immeasurably due to triglycerides...now high, but falling.

Anyway...I am pumped. In celebration of my much improved blood work, I treated myself to some squats, bench, and deadlifts. Next round will be in 6 months or so...what a difference 4 months makes. Thanks MFP and thanks 40/30/30.

Hell to the yeah!!!

Great work!

FWIW, as you work out more and eat better, your HDL will continue to climb. It can make you think that your overall cholesterol is high. My HDL is 67. It is almost impossible for my cholesterol to be below 200.

Fantastic TG numbers.

Keep on keepin' on, bro!

Congrats to you and to all on the fitness journey!
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Great job! It sounds like you're doing all the right things, keep it up!:happy:
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Great job! I had similar but worse looking lab work 8-10 years ago and was on Lipitor for about that long. Finally got off all that and BP meds last year when I decided to take control of things. For me the BP seems to be dialed right into the sodium- as long as I keep that in check the doc is happy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol Serum - Oct 15: (240)....Feb 14: (211)...still high but much improved

Triglycerides - Oct 15: (463)...Feb 14: (135)...Holy Smokes!....and I'm below the requisite 150

HDL - Oct 15: (30)...Feb 14: (43)...Movin' on up

LDL - Oct 15: ( ????)...Feb 14: ( 141)... immeasurably due to triglycerides...now high, but falling.

You reduced your total cholesterol by almost 30 points in less then 6 months, as well as increased your HDL by 13 points

Thats effing phenomenal - I hope your doctor was ecstatic and commended you properly, thats hard work paying off right there and very very few patients actually follow through

I thought my doc was going to **** his pants. You're exactly right...he had his doubts back in October as to whether I'd follow through or not...we went down a similar road a couple of years ago and I didn't, so he was right to be skeptical. He was actually taking notes on everything that I had been doing and asked for some copies of some of the days in my diary for his notes. He told me he was extremely impressed about 100 times and told me he wished that many of his other patients had the same drive...most are just more than willing to go on meds and just do nothing about their lifestyle.

I've made a complete 180 degree change in my lifestyle...previous life I would drink anywhere between 3-6 Mt Dew per day...lunch usually consisted of some sort of New Mexican cuisine (my favorite has always been chicharones burritos)...there's a good local joint just down the street from my office that I used to go daily...I estimated my calorie and other nutrients based on the ingredients that I know were in there..on average I was consuming about 1,500 calories at lunch...30g sat fat. I consumed a similar number of calories with dinner and more sat fats for my evening snack with 1/4 Lb sharp cheddar washed down with a pint of whole milk.

Back when I started this whole thing, I figured out I was eating roughly 3,000 - 3,500 calories per day (no exercise whatsoever). On average I consumed almost 3x the DRV of sat fat and my sugar intake was off the charts. I have to say...I don't even know why I used to eat that way. I still eat and I eat good stuff...but I make a lot better nutritional decisions these days and I keep my portions within reason...like an actual serving size.

Thanks again.
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...I'm still pretty giddy about all of this. I wanna have a party or something.

You should! Impressive results and proof you're on the right track!
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    awesome. blood pressure will be next
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I was pretty excited when my cholesterol dropped too! I actually got a good job keep it up kind of comment!!! Congrats.
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    Thanks again everyone...I feel like such a dork...I'm walking around with my little piece of paper showing everyone in my office. I'm a nerd.
  • cmfruin2012
    cmfruin2012 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Its amazing what the human body will do when you treat it right. The healthcare industry seems so hell bent on immediately prescribing meds and surgery when I feel that many of us just need a lifestyle change!

YES!! And one of the main reasons I am finally embarking on a permanent lifestyle change. I don't want to be pumping myself full of medicine to correct problems that a healthier way of life will fix. This NSV post validates one of the main reasons for doing this -- it isn't just about pants size, a number on a scale, or fitting into society's norms -- it's about treating my body the way it should be -- with gratitude and respect.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

Its amazing what the human body will do when you treat it right. The healthcare industry seems so hell bent on immediately prescribing meds and surgery when I feel that many of us just need a lifestyle change!

YES!! And one of the main reasons I am finally embarking on a permanent lifestyle change. I don't want to be pumping myself full of medicine to correct problems that a healthier way of life will fix. This NSV post validates one of the main reasons for doing this -- it isn't just about pants size, a number on a scale, or fitting into society's norms -- it's about treating my body the way it should be -- with gratitude and respect.

Both well said
  • cubbies77
    cubbies77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    The health-related NSVs are the absolute BEST. Congratulations!
  • mayerrocks
    mayerrocks Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!! WTG!!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I'm new here - what's NSV?
  • kimimila86
    Options
    Holy wow! These are vast improvements! Cheers to you :drinker:
  • chicken2v
    chicken2v Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Excellent results! Better numbers to be mindful of than just what the scale shows!
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Bravo!!! I too am looking forward to some much improved health stats at my next Dr visit. I am feeling very optimistic that all my changes are going to payoff big time! :smile:
  • CityGirl129
    Options
    That's great! You are definitely doing what needs to be done ... Congrats!
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I'm new here - what's NSV?

Non Scale Victory...this is my first
  • Danam48
    Danam48 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks again everyone...I feel like such a dork...I'm walking around with my little piece of paper showing everyone in my office. I'm a nerd.

I clicked on this post because of the title. I love that you said I AM AWESOME. You truly are awesome, now OWN that awesomeness and stop calling yourself a dork and a nerd. You kick A**. Keep it up! Woo hoo!
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Great results and wonderful reaction by the doc! The feeling of taking control and seeing such a payoff really helps to keep you on track. Good job!:wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!