HELP: Almond milk ALWAYS curdles in my tea/coffee

Options
13»

Replies

• Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Try coffee creamers. They're made with oil and have no dairy in them. I like Coffee Mate. Other brands may have dairy, so check the label. The regular Coffee Mate is 35 calories for 1 tablespoon, which is all I need in my coffee and I really don't care for coffee.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Silk is by far the worst offender for me, no problems with Blue Diamond. Soy based creamers in coffee are pretty good if you can have the soy.
  • kaylorraine44
    kaylorraine44 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Not sure if anyone else said this but the coffee you drink may be too acidic for almond milk. This happened to me when I was house sitting for someone and drank their coffee. I put soy milk in it and it completely curdled. Typically this happens in lighter roasts.
  • chefjasonkessler
    Options
    Just made some iced coffee on Friday and used almond milk in it (blue diamond). Friday, Saturday, and Sunday it didn't "curdle." Monday and Tuesday it did...I want to say that the more coffee sits, the more acidic it becomes, which would make sense to the above responses..
  • rubyasiss
    Options
    Try shaking/mixing the almond milk really well before adding to coffee. It also used to happen to me until I started doing that.

Good luck!
  • jennbijou
    Options
    You are not imagining things. My almond milks "curdle" in my hot drinks as well. Tea and coffee.Its not actually curdled though. It looks kind of fluffy floating around in my mug, but it doesn't taste off or feel chunky in your mouth. I just drink it anyway.

If I cook up a batch of hot maca drink on the stove the almond milk seems to "fluff" less.
  • mlefevre9
    mlefevre9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    heat your almond milk up in the microwave first :)
  • kaaaaylee
    kaaaaylee Posts: 398
    Options
    Try letting it cool a bit before adding the milk..
  • sarfitzg
    Options
    This is caused by ACIDITY in the coffee and or tea. It always happens with hemp milk as well. Try a brand of coffee that describes the coffee, and look for key words and romantic language indicating how acidic it is. I would go for a darker roast, these tend to be lower in acidity.
  • amandamc920
    amandamc920 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Almond and Soy milks tend to separate and get chunky when exposed to high heat. Try switching to coconut milk or a lactose free creamer.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Cashew milk seems to work better.. creamier and fewer calories too.
  • alexswanny
    alexswanny Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes! I have the same issue, fresh almond box just opened, added instant coffee then boiling water and.... it curdles, then tried heating up the almond milk first then coffee and boiling water and... the same CURDLES! So it is happening, it’s not my imagination, it’s not separation, and it doesn’t go away. Opened another fresh new box and suprise it didn’t curdle. I would never get to the bottom of the mistery.... so I poured out the previous milk over the sink and went online to find answers, read all the comments and still the mistery continues, so I wrote my thoughts here and now you are reading them
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Almond milk curdles for me too. I have been using soy milk and it's great. The first few days were kind of meh with it (compared to the non-dairy creamer i was using) but now i prefer it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Ok are you sure it’s curdling. I didn’t think almond milk could curdle. I have had my non dairy “milks” separate a little in my coffee but I don’t see that as a problem.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I use silk and ive never had this issue.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    yv3bwcmqd1w3.gif
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen with soy milk, too. Here are some things you might try. The two causes of curdling I've seen mentioned are: acidity of the coffee and the temperature of the coffee. One site recommended cooling down the coffee a little (with an ice chip or two), another said to add a little salt or bicarb of soda to the coffee first (or using a lower acid coffee blend), another said to try warming up the non-dairy milk first.

Also, many of the non dairy creamers contain sodium caseinate, I don't know if that might cause a problem for someone with a severe dairy allergy.
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I would try either heating the almond milk up in the microwave first, or tempering it with the coffee. I always heat my half and half anyway so the coffee won't get cold as quick. I also put it in a hot mug. I hate when coffee gets cool too quickly.
  • mariakavita
    mariakavita Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Help!! I've been making almond milk at home and adding it to my tea which at first i clearly tasted the amazing fresh difference compared to the packaged kind. But compared to the store bought milk, this seems to get a weird taste after a while, like it may be spoiling. How quickly does almond milk spoil in hot tea? Does almond milk go bad that easy? is it cause i made it myself? This is very perturbing since i'm loving making it fresh at home. someone?
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Almond milk doesn't sit well in coffee, Soy works pretty well for me though, it doesn't separate or sink to the bottom.