Ladies, wokring out at your TOM

Options
Hey Ladies a bit of a weird question here.

I was chatting with my sister about my workout ect.and she seemed really shocked that I was still going to the gym during my TOM. I didn't really get it, even before i started at the gym I always went for walks ect during that time because i found it eased the symptoms and gave me shorter (but heavier) periods.
My sister however seemed really really shocked.

So my question is...is there anything wrong with continuing your same workout during that time?(as long as you're not feeling dizzy)

Does any one continue/ stop and why?

Replies

• Sara2184
    Sara2184 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You're very lucky. Go to the gym if you can. For me, days 2 & 3 are the worst when I can't move, get massive cravings & the flow is very heavy.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Who is this Tom and why do you let him take control of you
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I've never changed my exercise routine during shark week- but then again, I'm fortunate that I don't get serious cramps or other physical symptoms.
  • curvynblonde
    curvynblonde Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I can't even think about it for the first 2 days. I try but it's not long before I'm sitting on the couch :)
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I do not skip workouts based solely on the fact that it's TOM. I odn'tknow if I've ever missed a workout for any reason having to do with that, to be honest. Being sick, yes. Getting called in to work at 1 am and not getting home and back in bed until 4 am but going back to work at 8 am, yes. I amdon't have terribly heavy, painful periods, though.
  • dparent01
    dparent01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have never had any issues with TOM and therefore it would not affect whether I went or not. If you are able to do it, then I say "Go for it" Don't let that TOM stop you. :-)
  • tianti82
    tianti82 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    You're very lucky. Go to the gym if you can. For me, days 2 & 3 are the worst when I can't move, get massive cravings & the flow is very heavy.

This is the same for me. Just this week, I had to go home early from the back pain and flow. I do remember that when I was more active, it was hard to start, but I felt so much better afterwards. I may need to increase workouts during that time.
  • FionaDFair
    FionaDFair Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have also been pretty fortunate that my cycles have never provided serious symptoms (i.e. cramps, headaches, etc). I do tend to make extra certain that I'm not over-exerting myself and that I'm getting adequate hydration. Otherwise, working out is still a go, whether going to the gym or heading out for a walk or bike ride.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Sometimes during the first day I am really, really fatigued. If this happens I will usually skip my workout and have a rest day. If I work out anyway I'm just in a bad mood and it ends up being a useless work out for me. (I'm an endurance athlete so every workout needs to have a purpose and be "worth it", otherwise it's a waste of time and energy.) It's no big deal because I usually re-arrange my work out schedule so that I don't end up skipping a work out. And if I do then oh well, my body needed it and I'll be better off with the additional rest. If it does not affect you why would you purposefully take time off from working out?
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My TOM does not get in the way. As far as flow, I wear a menstrual cup, so it's hardly like I'm even on my period.
  • Nessa0506
    Options
    I try not to let my TOM stop me from exercising. If it's really bad I just substitute the cardio or strength training for yoga.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    First 2 days I don't move. At all. Hide under the blankets..... call out sick. I normally throw up from pain.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with it.

For years, however, girls/women were taught NOT to work out during TTotM. So it's no surprise some folks still feel that way.

If I feel like it, I do, if I don't I don't.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've always had bad TOM. I still work out. Women were made to keep up with life every day of the month. I don't call in sick at work for TOM, and I'm not calling in sick on my workout either.
  • JRaeZins
    JRaeZins Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I continue to excercise but sometimes do less if I am really tired.
  • allforthethrill
    allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If you can, do it! Exercise is quite beneficial that TOM. However, if you're anything like me and literally get sick the first day (or which ever day/ days they are for you) don't feel bad for taking a day two off to rejuvenate!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    If I can do everything else, I can workout too. I don't necessarily love it, but I don't love going to work with cramps and occasional vomiting either. Activity actually helps prevent vomiting for me. On Saturday, during my TOM, I set a personal 5k record. If you can do it, go for it. I'm pretty jealous that exercise shortens your TOM. Take advantage of that!
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    why would anything be wrong with it? Treat it like any other day if you can. Exercise does definitely help with cramping and moodiness.
  • lauractemple85
    lauractemple85 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't skip workouts during TOM. I really want to, but I know it's better if I just bite the bullet.

If I feel really tired/headache/gross etc. I tell myself to "take it easy" on that day. Turns out when I get there (without pressure on myself) I usually complete my workout and sometimes I do better then usual. There have been a handful of times where I just wasn't having it and I only put in about half the time I usually do, but what can you do? I try and listen to my body.

My biggest problem with TOM is the HUNGER and not going over my calorie intake!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I never use that as an excuse to not workout.