Ladies, wokring out at your TOM

Options

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I have stage 3 endometriosis resulting in difficult sometimes extremely painful periods. However I don't use that as an excuse to not workout. In fact, I often feel better afterwards. TOM is never reason to lay around, cry and eat whatever you want.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Mine always seems to show up when I have something big planned, so I did Warrior Dash and a good number of 5 and 10k races with Aunt Flo.

Now, however, I'm back on Depo and love not getting any visits.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    the only instance TOM became a problem was the time I doing a long run training for a marathon and when I finished my pad had moved to the inside of my thigh. Thank goodness it was the last day so no flow, and I was wearing tights. Suffice it to say, I started wearing tampons after that.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If your periods are bad enough that you miss work and can't exercise can't you see a doctor for that? Seriously.

My flow is very heavy (the biggest tampons only last an hour or two) for the first day but I don't let it keep me from life. I go to work, take care of my kids, and yes, work out.
  • meefo42
    Options
    I am one of the lucky ones who's cramps get worse when they workout on their TOM. And before you judge that as an "excuse" yes I have tried, many times, and when I have to practically crawl back from my run after I started cramp-free, I've realized it's not worth the extra pain. It sucks but it's only a couple days and them I'm ok.
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    for me, I do my hardest workouts while chasing the cotton mouse and it has made a consistent and track-able difference in my progress over the last 5 years. I say those workouts count double.

ETA: Im not talking about cardio. frak that noise. I'm talking about chucking barbells.
  • melissarina
    melissarina Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered, why can't people just say "I've got my period" rather than all this Aunt Flo and TOM stuff? It's 2013, ladies, we can talk about our bodies.

And yes, when I'm menstruating, I will still work out. Sometimes I'll whine about it, and I may not put in as much effort, but after having nearly 200 periods, I should be used to it by now. I don't find it the most pleasant time, but taking my doctors advice to take naprogesic has helped, and seeing a physio for my back pain helps too. I love modern medicine.
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Working out helps - promise. Especially core workouts. Give it 10 minutes and you'll start feeling better.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I always do and, like you, it helps me feel better.
  • Lunarokra
    Lunarokra Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I will also workout, I am lucky and do not have awful cramps (knock on wood). So, if you are fine with working out so far, just follow your body.
  • mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I try to continue
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I always continue during that TOM. Even just going for a walk is better than nothing if you are feeling really dreadful.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I get horrible fatigue (my PMS lasts at least a week and a half), and if I didn't make myself I just wouldn't get half my workouts done.
  • jamimari777
    jamimari777 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I believe your sister means well, but that is an old wive's tale. I workout no matter what. The only thing to keep in mind is some yoga poses aren't good to do if you're menstruating. Besides that, go for it. Exercise makes me feel awesome, keeps migraines at bay, and reduces PMS.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Just another day at the gym for me. Nothing in my routine changes.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered, why can't people just say "I've got my period" rather than all this Aunt Flo and TOM stuff? It's 2013, ladies, we can talk about our bodies.

That takes too many key strokes.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I just pop an advil or two then go with it. I'm letting TOM break my good habits!
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Unless your workout is swimming in the ocean with sharks, then don't skip!
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I get cramps pretty bad, and its not uncommon for me to actually feel nauseous , so I find it difficult to workout, at least the first 2 or 3 days. If you don't have problems with it, there's no reason you can't workout during your TOM. Walking does sometimes help if you do get cramps, and there's yoga workouts that supposedly relieve cramps too-haven't had a chance to try that myself though
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options

growing up, i got back hand smacked across the mouth if I mentioned that word. I'm allowed to hold back on this unimportant little inconsequential thing for the rest of my life and it won't hurt anyone for me to call it the cotton mouse instead.