Ladies, wokring out at your TOM

Options

Replies

• Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I normally workout as usual when I am on my period. However, if I have an anusually heavy flow day I just do a lighter workout.
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    Options
    First 2 days I don't move. At all. Hide under the blankets..... call out sick. I normally throw up from pain.

This, for me. I just can't do it. I miss school and work for mine, too, just because I get so sick from it.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    My TOM does not get in the way. As far as flow, I wear a menstrual cup, so it's hardly like I'm even on my period.

Arent they the greatest! I just recently discovered them. I wish I'd known about them when I started when I was younger.

But I think unless your in pain from it move.
  • Hershpup
    Hershpup Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't know, since I started this journey (10 days ago) I have had my period come up yet. However, I will say it will depend on how heavy my flow/cramps are. I will most likely still work out but I may skip toning and go for a longer walk/run instead on the really bad days.
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I don't skip the gym or working out because of TOM.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I still go.
    even when I have cramps I go because most of the time even walking on the treadmill helps my cramps feel a bit better
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not ladies... increasing water a few days before your period and exercising reduces cramps, also my gyno said that the more weight u lose the better your TOM tends to get... I get out there and kill a workout pop a motrin or two and feel 100% better then hiding under the covers all bunched up for days
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I work out still. The Red Tide being in shouldn't stop one from doing what they must UNLESS it's crippling to them. Mine never get that bad really. I am retaining water though, which sucks and just means I don't weigh in until it's done. Unlucky for me, the Red Tide came in today.
  • candirose69
    Options
    Thanks for all the reply's ladies :) I'm off to the gym now :):)
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I rarely miss a workout because of my period - it tends to make me feel better, actually.

My biggest symptoms are cramps, heavy flow and fatigue the day before and the first 2 days. Working out beats, the fatigue, relieves the cramps and (sorry if this is TMI) speeds up the flow, which helps me get through that part faster, lol. I just use the heaviest tampons combined with pads, just in case!
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly NOT continue with exercise but for the past couple of years the flow in the first couple of days has been super heavy and I daren't stray far from home. Yes exercise helps with the cramps but not the flooding! And no, the doctors are no help at all - I'm currently having blood tests for the 6th time but doctors seem only concerned with possible anaemia and not the issue of heavy periods. At 43 I think I'll just have to put up with it.

My problem is the exhaustion I feel in the days leading to the start of period - I'm OK first thing in the morning (when I exercise fortunately) but literally crawl into bed by 8.30 at night. Any tips to combat this gratefully received :-)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I have worked out every single day for just over a year now, there is your answer. TOM never stopped me then & sure as hell means no excuse. I suffer bad the whole time & nothing ever stopped me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I always workout during TOM. It eases cramps and boosts mood. :heart:
  • BlazingJaya
    BlazingJaya Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My TOM is hell even with being on cerazette, but I've found that workouts actually help. I feel quite gross afterwards and I find I can't go as hard as I normally would, but it does improve my general feeling of health during that time.

Also, if I workout I don;t retain as much water. WIN!
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I try, but if my head is pounding badly, then I don't. Usually cramps and such feel better for me after I work out.
  • bunbunzee44
    bunbunzee44 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    on the worst day or two I feel sick and I'm very bloated, on those days I wouldn't do anything heavy or jumping etc,
    but something lighter :3
  • nettip
    nettip Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I work out during TOM because it helps cramps and speeds it up, but it does make the flow heavy (largest tampon and pad wasnt enough for my 20min zumba last week) which is why id never go to the gym during tom i just work out at home when kids are in bed. if i work out i have a 4 day tom if i dont its 6-7 days and i feel horrid the hole time, cramps, tired, grumpy - just not worth it , pad up and get moving then hit the shower.
  • cgfol1
    cgfol1 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I work out harder when I have my period. I tend to get a little more teary/grumpy/aggregated and there is nothing better than pounding the pavement to let out all those feelings
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I don't particularly NOT continue with exercise but for the past couple of years the flow in the first couple of days has been super heavy and I daren't stray far from home. Yes exercise helps with the cramps but not the flooding! And no, the doctors are no help at all - I'm currently having blood tests for the 6th time but doctors seem only concerned with possible anaemia and not the issue of heavy periods. At 43 I think I'll just have to put up with it.

My problem is the exhaustion I feel in the days leading to the start of period - I'm OK first thing in the morning (when I exercise fortunately) but literally crawl into bed by 8.30 at night. Any tips to combat this gratefully received :-)

they will simply treat the issue and not the problem...offer you birth control pills or to do ablation surgery to stop your periods or just tell you to get hysterectomy... I am not interested in either despite having horrible menstrual related issues ( I cannot wear tampons and I bleed enough to have to change a pad at least 3 times an hour)

I dont risk embarassment by going to the gym and working out during my period.... and I usually end up missing a day or 2 of work, or I work something out so I do not have to come into the office
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    HIIT Me, that echoes my thoughts about doctors and is why I don't really push for further treatment.
    I have found my periods better since using a Mooncup tho . x